New Traffic Pattern AC

"...At airports without operating control towers, part 91 requires only that pilots of airplanes approaching to land make all turns to the left, unless light signals or visual markings indicate that turns should be made to the right..."

<----- checks little sticker on the back of the light gun. Nope, I didn't think so.

"...At airports without operating control towers, part 91 requires only that pilots of airplanes approaching to land make all turns to the left, unless light signals or visual markings indicate that turns should be made to the right..."

<----- checks little sticker on the back of the light gun. Nope, I didn't think so.

Y'all don't have the make "right traffic and left traffic" light guns anymore Tim?

Y'all don't have the make "right traffic and left traffic" light guns anymore Tim?

We have two light guns. They didn't come marked. :dunno:

Actually, if the light gun is held in the right hand, the pilot is supposed to make left traffic. If it's held in the left hand the pilot makes right traffic. This is why you don't see any one armed controllers in the tower.

We have two light guns. They didn't come marked. :dunno:

Ahh see, one of 'em is for right traffic, other left traffick. You should know this before being a tower supervisor. Maybe the labels are missing n

Reported.

Last edited:
Actually, if the light gun is held in the right hand, the pilot is supposed to make left traffic. If it's held in the left hand the pilot makes right traffic. This is why you don't see any one armed controllers in the tower.

I had a one arm midget controller that worked with me in a tower once...

Last edited:
I didn't see the other threads. I must have had my boring filter turned on.

Kinda funny. I've seen a number of posts on this from various organizations - not just forums - in the past two days, as though it was issued last week instead of two months ago. I know there's often a bit of a delay between effective date and public notification, but I first saw it April 6 or 7.

It showed up in my news feed as new news today, clickbait and I jumped.

Joke aside, apparently a flashing amber light was once used as a light signal to designate a right-hand pattern. :)

Joke aside, apparently a flashing amber light was once used as a light signal to designate a right-hand pattern. :)
True. When I learned to fly at KFUL in the mid 1960s, visibility in the smog was often under three miles. The rotating beacon on top of the control tower would be on, and next to it the flashing amber light, indicating right traffic for runway 24.

Whether Tower has these light guns is immaterial, as the AC is discussing "operations at airports without operating control towers" (emphasis added).

More dumbassery from the idiots who write the regulations . . . .

Good info. I wonder when they phased that out.

Before I was born. I can't find a link to it, but I have a PDF copy of an old AC from 1963 that mentions it, and the 1971 update dropped it:

Traffic_Pattern_Indicator_1963.jpg

So if it was dropped in 1971, why is it ssuddenly being referenced in 2018? Imbecile bureaucrats!!

Maybe the FAA is getting senile?

So if it was dropped in 1971, why is it ssuddenly being referenced in 2018? Imbecile bureaucrats!!

Maybe the FAA is getting senile?

Just guessing...

While nobody is still using light signals for indicating direction of turn in the pattern (so far as I know anyway), FAR 91.126(b) still allows for both "light signals' or "visual markings".

It's the vestigial appendix of the FARs.

Why remove something that hasn't been used in almost 50 years? Then they'd have to put in something modern, like GPS information deeper than the numner of satellites in orbit and the number required for accurate positioning (all that was on the single GPS page when I took my checkride in 2007, despite the G430 & G430W being industry standard by then).

Back