Radial Engine Cutaway

That idea would make an interesting clock

Why do all single row radial engines have odd number of cylinders?

Why do all single row radial engines have odd number of cylinders?
So the firing order works out. 1 3 5 7 9 2 4 6 8

Or should I have recused myself?

I suspect the 4 cylinder single row radials fire the opposing cylinders simultaneously.

Some single row radial engines have an even number of cylinders.

Can you name any?

The only way an even number radial cold work, is if all cylinders fired in sequence, for 1 revolution,,
and then the the cylinders would all intake in sequence, for the next revolution...
Repeat ...

Would make for a very rough running engine!

So the firing order works out. 1 3 5 7 9 2 4 6 8

Or should I have recused myself?

I suspect the 4 cylinder single row radials fire the opposing cylinders simultaneously.

You are quite right,, except that since their is only 1 crank throw,, their cant be but 1 cylinder at top dead center at a time...

Can you name any?

The only way an even number radial cold work, is if all cylinders fired in sequence, for 1 revolution,,
and then the the cylinders would all intake in sequence, for the next revolution...
Repeat ...

Would make for a very rough running engine!
Nordberg (12 cylinders), Clerget 14D (14 cylinders, single row), Zoche (4 cylinders)

The only even number single row I’ve ever seen was an ingersol rand radial air compressor. 3 cylinders were combustion cylinders and the other three were air compressor cylinders. I have only seen one in person.

You are quite right,, except that since their is only 1 crank throw,, their cant be but 1 cylinder at top dead center at a time...
there never is in any multi cylindered engine.

The only even number single row I’ve ever seen was an ingersol rand radial air compressor. 3 cylinders were combustion cylinders and the other three were air compressor cylinders. I have only seen one in person.

Then it was a 3 cylinder engine, and a 3 cylinder compressor

there never is in any multi cylindered engine.
Don't confuse TDC with the firing stroke. In an inline 4, for example, 2 cylinders can be at TDC but only 1 of them will be igniting.

engine-inline-4.gif

Don't confuse TDC with the firing stroke. In an inline 4, for example, 2 cylinders can be at TDC but only 1 of them will be igniting.
How many crank throws does a 4 cylinder in line have?

Were talking Radials,

How many revolutions does it require to fire all cylinders in any 4 stroke engine?

How many revolutions does it require to fire all cylinders in any 4 stroke engine?
This question is key to understanding why all Radial engines have odd number of cylinders per row.

This question is key to understanding why all Radial engines have odd number of cylinders per row.
Not ALL radial engines have odd numbers of cylinders per row. There were three examples of radial engines with an even number of cylinders per row listed earlier in this thread.

You were involved in a similar discussion here too, where even-number-cylinder-per-row radial engines were discussed.
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/6-cylinder-radial.42111/

Last edited:
Odd number cylinders run more smoothly in inlines (and V's and opposed) as well. A six is not a four with two cylinders added on. It is a pair of threes.

Awesome! It would be so cool to have that on a wall at the house. Not sure if the wife would go for it though.

so, what would be the firing order?
Assuming the compressor and driving cylinders alternate each other, and the usual numbering clockwise, and the first cylinder being a driver:
1, 3, 5

Back