There will soon be no reason to be a pilot

EchoKilo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
EchoKilo
Pretty soon in our future, being a pilot will mean nothing. Planes will become autonomous, and Uber even has plans to introduce autonomous air taxis very soon https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/05/08/uber-flying-car-prototype.html.

Being a pilot carries with it a level of prestige and accomplishment. Saying "I'm a pilot" is a fairly prestigious thing which most people regard as esoteric and relatively impressive. It's sort of an elite thing you have to earn your way into. But soon that will all change. Daily flying will become routine and unamusing to people, pilots will become useless, and aviation as we know it will die. There will be no reason to be a pilot anymore. People will just be able to push a button on their cellphone and take to the sky instantly. No big deal.

There's no reason for me to do a lot of the things I do. As a matter of fact, I'd say there's probably no reason for me to be a pilot today right now or even when I started other than I find it fun.

Pretty soon in our future, being a pilot will mean nothing.

Being a pilot carries with it a level of prestige and accomplishment. Saying "I'm a pilot" is a fairly prestigious thing which most people regard as esoteric and relatively impressive. It's sort of an elite thing you have to earn your way into.

I don't think it's that prestigious, esoteric or elite. As a matter of fact, I'd venture a guess that most of the people with whom I'm acquainted probably don't know I'm a pilot and the minority that do likely aren't very impressed.

Pretty soon in our future, being a pilot will mean nothing. Planes will become autonomous, and Uber even has plans to introduce autonomous air taxis very soon https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/05/08/uber-flying-car-prototype.html.

Being a pilot carries with it a level of prestige and accomplishment. Saying "I'm a pilot" is a fairly prestigious thing which most people regard as esoteric and relatively impressive. It's sort of an elite thing you have to earn your way into. But soon that will all change. Daily flying will become routine and unamusing to people, pilots will become useless, and aviation as we know it will die. There will be no reason to be a pilot anymore. People will just be able to push a button on their cellphone and take to the sky instantly. No big deal.

To be honest, I find it puzzling you make multiple references to "prestige" as somehow an inflection point in the choice to become a pilot. As it to somehow suggest that supposed quality is central to the activity. Is that why you became a pilot? Because I can tell you with certainty, that doesn't enter my calculus in the least. As such, I surmise that this so-called loss you see, may all be in your head after all. If indeed social currency was the reason you got into this activity in the first place, perhaps it could be a reason for you to not be a pilot anymore. Beyond that, you presume qualities that don't enter into the reasons *I* became a pilot. Which is why your argument about automation is specious to me; you just bring up "social currency" way too much in your post for somebody being sincere about discussing the topic of vocational obsolescence. You're trying to argue the former by conflating it with the latter. Sounds more like a personal problem brah.

To be honest, I find it puzzling you make multiple references to "prestige" as somehow an inflection point in the choice to become a pilot. As it to somehow suggest that supposed quality is central to the activity. Is that why you became a pilot? Because I can tell you with certainty, that doesn't enter my calculus in the least. As such, I surmise that this so-called loss you see, may all be in your head after all. If indeed social currency was the reason you got into this activity in the first place, perhaps it could be a reason for you to not be a pilot anymore. Beyond that, you presume qualities that don't enter into the reasons *I* became a pilot. Which is why your argument about automation is specious to me; you just bring up "social currency" way too much in your post for somebody being sincere about discussing the topic of vocational obsolescence. You're trying to argue the former by conflating it with the latter. Sounds more like a personal problem brah.
As I've stated before to people like you who are light speed to judge me and "read me my rights", you're free to have whetever opinions you wish about me and my motives. Just don't sit there and act like I should give a damn what they are. I WILL become a pilot for whatever ding dang dong motherflippin' reason I damn well please, and I don't give two floating elephant dicks what your schmuck ass thinks of them. Understand?

As I've stated before to people like you who are light speed to judge me and "read me my rights", you're free to have whetever opinions you wish about me and my motives. Just don't sit there and act like I should give a damn what they are. I WILL become a pilot for whatever ding dang dong motherflippin' reason I damn well please, and I don't give two floating elephant dicks what your schmuck ass thinks of them. Understand?

As predicted. May I recommend the Rx strength,
upload_2018-5-9_2-7-29.png
it's what we generally prescribe our weaker swimmers in pilot training. :D

^^^ Hahahahaha!

Thanks EchoKilo - I appreciate the laugh this morning. :D

soooo, besides all that...
Why are you becoming a pilot?

interesting.

Comes on a site titled, “PILOTS of America” to say pilots are facing extinction.

Gets offended when disagreed with.

Shows great maturity by claiming to be judged too harshly and brings floating elephant dicks into the discussion.

This internet thing is really evolving.

Actually there is a company now developing a system Cirrus owners where a ground pilot/operator flys the plane. The advantage is the owner does not need to take a pilot saving weight for other passengers or pay a pilot costs associated with an overnight stay. The owner would be trained to pull the chute if it goes to crap.

Define “soon”.

Being a pilot carries with it a level of prestige and accomplishment. Saying "I'm a pilot" is a fairly prestigious thing which most people regard as esoteric and relatively impressive. It's sort of an elite thing you have to earn your way into.

*snork*

Yeah, I just LOVE telling people at parties that I'm a private pilot. "You fly those little planes that crash all the time? You're crazy. I'm going to go talk to the nice golfers..."

By the time soon gets here I’ll be to old to fly. It will be great to be able to tell people ,I was a pilot,as they will stare at me in awe

Dude... I don’t know what you’ve been smoking (or taking), but you might want to dial back on that stuff.

I have said before - people do not have tolerance for machines making mistakes. There is a huge difference between being able to get it right and not being able to get it wrong. Computers are nowhere near the latter standard yet, especially when you throw system failures and random events at them.

One day, yes...we pilots will be as archaic as morse code operators. But that day is not today. It is not this year, this decade and only maybe this century.

The only ones who know I’m a pilot are a very small group of my close friends and family members, I don’t just go around offering that information to everyone. Not to mention the condescending attitudes that most individuals have toward a 21 year old after they hear it.

People have also been predicting that humans will be able to float around like the Jetson’s for decades, hasn’t happened yet nor will it anytime soon.

Nothing elite about being a pilot and for the vast majority of flying, nothing really difficult about it either. Maybe 10 % of the flying I do professionally requires more than three brain cells. Pilots (especially helicopter), brag about their so called skills to impress the uneducated at parties. Most don’t take them seriously.

At far as being replaced professionally, it’ll happen after I’m retired so I don’t care. It automation brings a level of safety (doubtful) that exceeds pilot input, so be it, replace the pilot. But, I see a future of automation that will always have a human in the loop.

As far as recreational flying I’ll never buy one of the stupid things so I’ll always fly an aircraft that requires human interface.

Sounds like someone needs a hug.

images

I read his response as "floating elephant ducks", which would be a good name for a band.

autonomous air taxi? And people already ***** out airport noise, or the helicopters on air tours, or the helicopters landing at medical facilities, or the... Or the noise from the local shooting range...

OK, iffen there are going to be autonomous air taxis, and robots flying the kids to see the mouse. That doesn't bode well for being a pilot as a profession.
But...
What impact is it going to have on those of us who fly on our own just because we like to fly? Are the Cubs, 172s, homebuilts, and Beech 18s going to be banned from the sky? Or just class A/B?
Is it gong to make any difference at all?
Seems a bit premature to say there is no reason to be a pilot.

I don't go around telling anyone I am a pilot, I don't have any decals on my pickup stating I am a pilot, and I don't have any clothing that states that I am a pilot. So.....I guess I am not impressing anyone anyway.

I prefer to keep my private activities to myself, but I know that there are people who are so proud of their accomplishments that they just HAVE to let everyone know what they are doing (or are).

In the hunting world, there can be a big "superiority" complex of bow hunters towards gun hunters. I bow hunt, but I have no issue towards those who use a rifle. Who the hell cares?! But there definitely are "superior" individuals among every class of enthusiasts no matter what they pursue.

If you fly, just do it because you enjoy it and don't worry about anyone else.

6a00d83451b80969e200e55067bb678833-640wi.jpg

I don't go around telling anyone I am a pilot, I don't have any decals on my pickup stating I am a pilot, and I don't have any clothing that states that I am a pilot. So.....I guess I am not impressing anyone anyway.

I prefer to keep my private activities to myself, but I know that there are people who are so proud of their accomplishments that they just HAVE to let everyone know what they are doing (or are).

In the hunting world, there can be a big "superiority" complex of bow hunters towards gun hunters. I bow hunt, but I have no issue towards those who use a rifle. Who the hell cares?! But there definitely are "superior" individuals among every class of enthusiasts no matter what they pursue.

If you fly, just do it because you enjoy it and don't worry about anyone else.

Why are you ashamed of being a pilot?? Seems odd.
Flying isn't really a private activity IMO, bit of a difference between what you do in the bedroom with your woman and flying a plane around.

I don't have any pilot stickers on my cars for the most part, but I'm proud to be a pilot, I enjoy it and people are interested and ask about it, god knows I didn't get into flying just to talk about it, I got into it to do it, but hey people are interested and it can have some side benefits too, my closing ratio for girls I've taken up is pretty good.

There's a difference between going out of your way to let people know you fly, and being proud, I don't go out of my way to tell someone, but if someone asks what I did last weekend I have zero issue saying I went flying.

Last edited:
Interesting comments about the “prestige” of being a private pilot. I passed my check ride three weeks ago today. My experience for the few people that know I’m a pilot is that they think I’m insane! The main responses are comments about every plane wreck that’s occurred in the past three weeks and expecting me to know all the reasons why…

I actually think the hunting analogy used earlier can be expanded. I can buy deer meat, bear meat and any kind of fish I want in stores. But people still hunt and fish.

I fly because I want to fly. I am not “needed” as a pilot now. I imagine the same will be true once the Jetsons rocket ship is available…

Last edited:
I understand that you whined about the motive disappearing soon but then flipped for trolling purposes when your victims were ensnared. That's all there is to understand about your performance in this forum.

I understand that you whined about the motive disappearing soon but then flipped for trolling purposes when your victims were ensnared. That's all there is to understand about your performance in this forum.
Talk about being replaced by autonomous technology. Bots are already better at trolling than this.

Considering that self driving cars keep killing people, I am doubtful that the public is really too excited about sitting in a self driving air machine.

As Tesla (and some others) are discovering it's a much simpler problem to build an "Autopilot" for an airplane than it is for an automobile. Fewer things to hit up there, among the many reasons.

And we already have highly autonomous planes. Commercial airline pilots have shifted towards becoming technology systems managers, sometimes at the expense of deductive reasoning and stick-and-rudder skills, as Air France 447 (and some other examples) so amply demonstrated.

But to paraphrase Mark Twain, the reports of the death of pilots are greatly exaggerated.

Back