Your life as a Pilot?

CessnaTom

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Thomas_McCray
What has your experience been "Making a living" as a pilot?
Home life? Work life? And the balance between the two.
Daily life?

Note: As per the typical thread, please allow thread to contain not more or less than the 20:80 ratio of real experience to sarcastic responses.

Assuming you're referring to people who make their living as a pilot, rather than people who fly for fun or incidental to their business?

Definitely not your typical pro pilot, but...

Home life??? Up to three years ago I was essentially homeless. However the money I made piloting has allowed me to build the house that I will eventually be living in full time. As it is now, I just visit it a few weeks out of the year.

Work life? I live at work.

Balance? If you but home life and work life on a scale, it would slam down to the ground on the work life side. That's slowly but surely changing.

Daily life? I eat, sleep, troll forums and occasionally play all on the company dime while I'm at work, 24/7.

You should ask this on airlinepilotcentral or airlinepilotforums :D:D:D

Be careful what you ask haha

Definitely not your typical pro pilot, but...

Home life??? Up to three years ago I was essentially homeless. However the money I made piloting has allowed me to build the house that I will eventually be living in full time. As it is now, I just visit it a few weeks out of the year.

Work life? I live at work.

Balance? If you but home life and work life on a scale, it would slam down to the ground on the work life side. That's slowly but surely changing.

Daily life? I eat, sleep, troll forums and occasionally play all on the company dime while I'm at work, 24/7.

Homeless? What changed? How/why did you become a pilot?

It really depends on what job you get as there's a huge variety. You have people who work on the other side of the world for 6+ weeks at a time, and then come home for however long before going back and doing it again. Conversely, you have corporate jobs where you're mostly working M-F and only flying when there's a need to go somewhere with very few overnights.

The average ends up being that you have some sort of travel (anywhere in the 50-80% range). You probably have to do your recurrent training during your off time. You might get days at home during your on time, but you won't if the company is doing well. Some trips might be quick drop-offs but most of the time you're going to be expected to stay with the plane. So waking up, get to the airport, prep the plane, etc. etc. you'll be looking at 12-14 hour days pretty easily, even if you only fly 2 hours in that timeframe.

The best jobs from where I sit are ones where you can work a 7/7 schedule (7 days on, 7 days off) at an airport that is near your house. You'll end up working about 50% of weekends (obviously) but then you get a full week off at a time, you get to sleep in your own bed, etc. Those are often jobs like air ambulance.

Keep in mind that flying is a career that has stepping stones, so you can't just jump into the job you want (at least not usually - maybe if you want to be a flight instructor). It's a journey, not just a destination. You also may have to move places that you don't want to go, or commute to those places. Gotta go where the jobs are.

Airlines? A whole 'nother issue with seniority and probably being gone a lot at first until you get to a point where you can bid and get what you want most of the time.

It really depends on what job you get as there's a huge variety. You have people who work on the other side of the world for 6+ weeks at a time, and then come home for however long before going back and doing it again. Conversely, you have corporate jobs where you're mostly working M-F and only flying when there's a need to go somewhere with very few overnights.

The average ends up being that you have some sort of travel (anywhere in the 50-80% range). You probably have to do your recurrent training during your off time. You might get days at home during your on time, but you won't if the company is doing well. Some trips might be quick drop-offs but most of the time you're going to be expected to stay with the plane. So waking up, get to the airport, prep the plane, etc. etc. you'll be looking at 12-14 hour days pretty easily, even if you only fly 2 hours in that timeframe.

The best jobs from where I sit are ones where you can work a 7/7 schedule (7 days on, 7 days off) at an airport that is near your house. You'll end up working about 50% of weekends (obviously) but then you get a full week off at a time, you get to sleep in your own bed, etc. Those are often jobs like air ambulance.

Keep in mind that flying is a career that has stepping stones, so you can't just jump into the job you want (at least not usually - maybe if you want to be a flight instructor). It's a journey, not just a destination. You also may have to move places that you don't want to go, or commute to those places. Gotta go where the jobs are.

Airlines? A whole 'nother issue with seniority and probably being gone a lot at first until you get to a point where you can bid and get what you want most of the time.

This reminds me of when i was in the gas field working for Schlumberger. Rarely home and gone for weeks at a time. Sometimes we had a 7-7 others we had 7-2 or 7-0 lol. I'm thinking whether or not to go as a career or just stop as a PPL

This reminds me of when i was in the gas field working for Schlumberger. Rarely home and gone for weeks at a time. Sometimes we had a 7-7 others we had 7-2 or 7-0 lol. I'm thinking whether or not to go as a career or just stop as a PPL

It all depends on what sort of lifestyle you (and your family) are looking for. If you're coming from oil field work, then being a pilot might mean you're home a lot more. In fact, when I was flying corporate and 135 most of our customers were oil field guys. My SIC was one of them, and the days he got to fly he was happy to only have to wake up at 4 AM and put in a 10 hour day. Normally it was a 7-0 and 16ish hour days or longer. That industry runs on Red Bull and Monster. Not for me, thanks.

The off time can be a really nice feature, though, depending on the ages of your kids and time of year. Having a week off at a time would be great for a lot of projects that I need to do.

About a decade in, I'm happy, I enjoy my work, it's very rewarding, I make enough money to do what I want, plenty of time off, and also plenty of opportunity in the market if I wanted to change the facet of aviation in which I work.

7 on and 7 off and home with family every night. Live and work in the same area. Minimal traveling (big for me) with maybe 5 days a year away from home. Easy, low planning, very little BS flying with no politics involved. Uniforms paid for...not that that’s a very big perk. :D

ATC in the Air Force, instructing and 135, corporate and instructing, then hired ar a regional and now back instructing (because I enjoy it) at almost 70.

Debating switching careers and want to start flying. Have student debt from current career to pay down. Only thing stopping me right now.

Homeless? What changed? How/why did you become a pilot?

The "homeless" was a direct result of being a pilot. Everywhere I went, for the most part, the company put me up. I was gone so much that I decided to sell my house. Didn't see a reason to pay rent/mortgage for a place I was rarely at.

Prior to doing flying as a full time profession, I worked in a cubicle as an IT guy. The move, Ofiice Space, is a documentary of my time in the cubicle.

I've been putting food on the table with flying for about 15 years. Considering a lot of that was during the 'lost decade' after 9/11, the career has been pretty good to me. I only lost one job - a corporate turboprop gig where the department had to close its doors due to financial trouble - but I was fortunate enough to roll right into a charter position in a Citation without missing a paycheck. I never had a set career path in mind - I simply wanted to fly airplanes and figured I'd be happy as long as I could pay rent, feed myself, and have a little money left over for beer. I'm in my late 30s now, so looking back the whole 'I just want to fly airplanes!' feels horribly naive, but regardless I still enjoy the work, and I've been fortunate to be able to change jobs to better align with my shifting priorities as I got older. These days I'm at the airlines, which while not the panacea some make it out to be, has been a pretty solid spot for where I am at this point in my life.

As @Ted DuPuis said, there's a ton of variety out there - especially in today's market. As you can already see from the responses in this thread - you can be home all the time, be gone all the time, or sit somewhere in between (like me). My advice is to be wary of anyone who says there's only one way to skin the cat. In my experience, a lot of the guys that struggle do so because they had a preconceived idea of 'the best job', and then shoehorned it into their life without realizing that a different job might be better suited to their specific family/living situation.

I’ve been at my airline a little over 2 years. Starting pay is great and I’m making even better money as a captain. I never sat reserve as an FO and was able to hold weekends off on my second month on the job. I never worked any holidays and never missed a birthday or other important life events. I held anywhere from 15-20 days off a month as an FO. As a CA I only get 12 days off and get used pretty much every day on reserve. Since I live in base, reserve is not an issue. They need to give me 2.5 hours to get to JFK or LGA so it’s pretty easy for me to pack a bag and get to the airport. Plus at the end of a trip, I don’t need to worry about non revving home and if I’m going to make my commute home. When I’m done with work, I’m done with work. It’s a good time to get into aviation. Pay is good, quick upgrades, and lots of opportunities.

Pluses and minuses.

Plus - fun job, decent money, making money on what people dream of doing.

Minus - my last 30 years of life I’ve lived in hotels almost 15 years. Always concerned about losing a medical. It also sucks on days when there is mucho weather everywhere in your path.

Additional plus: I’m able to totally walk away from work on my days off. I almost never see my boss. I’m out in the field and as long as I keep my nose clean, it will stay that way.

Pluses and minuses.

Plus - fun job, decent money, making money on what people dream of doing.

Minus - my last 30 years of life I’ve lived in hotels almost 15 years. Always concerned about losing a medical. It also sucks on days when there is mucho weather everywhere in your path.

Additional plus: I’m able to totally walk away from work on my days off. I almost never see my boss. I’m out in the field and as long as I keep my nose clean, it will stay that way.
That’s a good point. When my wife leaves her job for the day she always leaves a stack of work in her office. When I’m done, I’m done.

Got the Initech mug sitting next to me too.

That looks like a Swingline 747 stapler. A staple in the stapler line of staplers.....
Lol, got one for my first job out of college. The boss tossed me a Staples catalog and said "order everything you need", so the red stapler made the cut right off the bat. Gotta love the 747-line, solid/heavy material, and I don't recall ever having a jammed staple out of that thing.

I bought the "Swingline Premium S.F 4 Staples" for it. I figured I would go legit. Thought about distributing TPS reports around the shop and talking to people about how to fill them out. Seemed like a good idea.

Lol, got one for my first job out of college. The boss tossed me a Staples catalog and said "order everything you need", so the red stapler made the cut right off the bat. Gotta love the 747-line, solid/heavy material, and I don't recall ever having a jammed staple out of that thing.
Very sturdy staplers!

The best home life was working medivac. Home every day. The pay was ok but low compared to industry averages. 40k as copilot 70’s for captain.

Part 135 payed better but I was only home ~6 days out of 30.

Regional airline pay sucks (it’s getting better) but if you live in base you’ll see the family enough to actually know who they are.

Corporate jobs vary greatly. It is very dependent on who owns the plane. They can also be unreliable because airplanes are normally on the short list for stuff to sell if money gets short.

Having a patient significant other is mandatory

Having a patient significant other is mandatory

you mean monied. raising a family on 5 figures blows chunks. let alone sucking the enjoyment out of any job. maslows heirarchy of needs and all that jazz.:D

What has your experience been "Making a living" as a pilot?
Home life? Work life? And the balance between the two.
Daily life?

Note: As per the typical thread, please allow thread to contain not more or less than the 20:80 ratio of real experience to sarcastic responses.

Not a sarcastic response, but there is quite a large variance in all the possible pilot making a living categories.

Not a sarcastic response, but there is quite a large variance in all the possible pilot making a living categories.
Right. That’s why there are several different responses. If we all worked eight days a month and made 500k, all our responses would tend to be on the favorable side.

Back