Windshield Cleaner

This is what I use. I buy it at a motorsports shop (cheaper than the aviation outlets, of course). Popular with the motorcycle crowd around here.

View attachment 59967
Yeah, Prist is the best that I’ve found. Much more effective than Lemon Pledge.

Looks like Pledge for top half and Prist for bottom half, I guess.

Yeah, Lemon Pledge is the best that I’ve found. Much more effective than Prist.

Pledge is fine. After the windshield is already clean.

What cleaners are yall using on your plexi windows? Rain-x makes a product for plastic surfaces and it says it is safe for plexiglass. Does anyone have any experience with it?

I've never tried it, but in our research we came across this disclaimer from Aircraft Spruce: "*Not Recomended for acrylic sheet products, such as, windshields or windows on small general aviation aircraft."

I have no idea why. I like it also and use it on my cars.

I have used Lemon Pledge based on recommendations from this board. I've used it a bunch with a microfiber cloth, and I gotta be honest i'm not crazy about it. It leaves a film, almost foggy, visible layer behind. Maybe I am using to much....

Yeah, that's right. It's a silicon based film that works great for furniture, but does leave a visible film behind.

I'm trying that plane perfect stuff from that dude who flies to mexico and comes back with packages of stuff.
'cleaning stuff', I think ;) ;)

Actually, my current favorite product is (boardie) Plane Perfect's Eyes Outside stuff.

Thanks for the mentions guys.

This is the product they are talking about: https://planeperfect.us/collections/all/products/eob

And the rest of our line: https://planeperfect.us/

Sending this from the Huatulco regional office in La Boquilla.

IMG_9181.JPG

I hate to start this argument up again, but... I've used pledge for years. Not thrilled. Went to mirror glaze then Novus 1, 2. Better, but kind of a bit of a chore. Got some Brillianize. HOLY CRAP. I love this stuff. Spray on, wipe off with one cloth then a final go over with clean cloth in other hand. Best stuff I've ever used, but I have not yet tried Prist. You can use it on all the kids of surfaces. I'm getting a case.

I hate to start this argument up again, but... I've used pledge for years. Not thrilled. Went to mirror glaze then Novus 1, 2. Better, but kind of a bit of a chore. Got some Brillianize. HOLY CRAP. I love this stuff. Spray on, wipe off with one cloth then a final go over with clean cloth in other hand. Best stuff I've ever used, but I have not yet tried Prist. You can use it on all the kids of surfaces. I'm getting a case.

Yes, another believer! The first and last product you need for acrylic. :)

Reactions: 5QK
Been using it for 10 years. Best I've found.

Whaaaaaaaat???

I forget where, but I could swear I saw somewhere that Pledge is really bad for aircraft windows in the long term.

Yeah, Prist is the best that I’ve found. Much more effective than Lemon Pledge.

Yeah, Lemon Pledge is the best that I’ve found. Much more effective than Prist.

:rofl:

Whaaaaaaaat???

I forget where, but I could swear I saw somewhere that Pledge is really bad for aircraft windows in the long term.

:rofl:

Well that would be new to most all AG pilots, DZs, and old school guys.

Well that would be new to most all AG pilots, DZs, and old school guys.

... Which is a list of the people that kind of beat up their airplanes a lot of the time. I mean, I don't think any of the ag pilots are really worried about which chemicals get on their airplanes. :rofl:

I really don't know why you folks spend so much on stuff when good ol soap and water works as well as anything.

... Which is a list of the people that kind of beat up their airplanes a lot of the time. I mean, I don't think any of the ag pilots are really worried about which chemicals get on their airplanes. :rofl:

Those are the same dudes who own turbines outright and still make more than some major airlines pilots

Seems to be it's normally the hobby/PPL types who beat the heck out of their planes and do the oddest things to them.

Last edited:
I really don't know why you folks spend so much on stuff when good ol soap and water works as well as anything.
It’s kind of a pain in the arse to get a bucket, fill it with water, add soap and find a rag when you can simply grab a can off the hangar shelf and clean the glareshield in a fraction of the time. Guess if you’re not in much of a hurry to get airborne than you could do the old fashioned method. :)

It’s kind of a pain in the arse to get a bucket, fill it with water, add soap and find a rag when you can simply grab a can off the hangar shelf and clean the glareshield in a fraction of the time. Guess if you’re not in much of a hurry to get airborne than you could do the old fashioned method. :)
You didn't clean it when you came home? OMG what is this world coming to.

An ice cream pail of water with a small squirt of Palmolive dish soap. Cotton diaper or micro fiber cloth, one to wash with and one to dry. Rub in up-down motion, never side to side or in a circle. Pledge does help I think, but is optional.

Ummm. I’m using spray and those fancy special paper towels for ours that don’t scratch but...

We also have a spray bottle with soapy water in the hangar.

Bucket, nor filling it (in summer when it won’t freeze, anyway...), required. :)

You didn't clean it when you came home? OMG what is this world coming to.
Sometimes yes, but most of the time the bug guts stay until the next preflight.

Ummm. I’m using spray and those fancy special paper towels for ours that don’t scratch but...

We also have a spray bottle with soapy water in the hangar.

Bucket, nor filling it (in summer when it won’t freeze, anyway...), required. :)
Glad you found a method that works for you.

Believe it or not....

Irish Spring. Yep. Bar soap. Get the windscreen wet, take a wet rag and soap it up, wipe the windscreen with the soapy rag. Rinse and wipe with a dry rag. I haven't noticed any film or anything.

Believe it or not....

Irish Spring. Yep. Bar soap. Get the windscreen wet, take a wet rag and soap it up, wipe the windscreen with the soapy rag. Rinse and wipe with a dry rag. I haven't noticed any film or anything.
And "it's like taking a shower in Frederickland"

So I have to say that the Plane Perfect wax is the best I've ever seen, it gives a deeper shine than anything I've ever seen on anything. Despite its price (it is spendy) I'll buy it again when I run out. I wax the aircraft once a year, it needs no more. So the stuff does last.

I've also had really good success with their Buddha Belly, it degreases very, very well. I have therefore decided that when my space-age plexiglass cleaner runs out I'll buy their stuff.

So I have to say that the Plane Perfect wax is the best I've ever seen, it gives a deeper shine than anything I've ever seen on anything. Despite its price (it is spendy) I'll buy it again when I run out. I wax the aircraft once a year, it needs no more. So the stuff does last.

I've also had really good success with their Buddha Belly, it degreases very, very well. I have therefore decided that when my space-age plexiglass cleaner runs out I'll buy their stuff.

Thanks for the kind words. We appreciate it.

In case you didn't see it on the other thread, I posted a promo code POA_BUDDHA which will get you 10% off if you want to do your restock before the end of May.

Honda motorcycle spray polish (3 cans for $22 on Amazon). Big white fluffy microfiber towels from Harbor Freight, about $2ea.

I've used dried seaweed a lot , hard to find the right grains of snot.

Back