Gaston's Fly-in 2018!

I'd land the strip, its plenty long and I've heard is quite nice. I just have a hard time getting away in the middle of my semester. And I really hate doing long trips like this when I need to be back in on Monday, since I know I'll be tempted to do things I ought not to...

I was surprised when my wife said she would go to the Kentucky Dam fly-in. Then, after spending the weekend with some of the most degenerate folks I can imagine, on the way home today, she said, “we’re going to Gaston’s, right?” I guess I’m putting in for vacation time tomorrow. :)

Possibly. I just re-verified that I have the plane for Gastons. Woo Hoo!

How goes your relationship with lady luck?

She was playing a little ‘hard to get’ but u just gotta show her who’s the boss.

We're like a virus

Apparently with immunity. :eek:

I would have thought the recency of hangovers would have tempered discussion of Gastons for at least a week.
Resilient crowd, this one. :D

Since I missed the inaugural Kentucky Dam, Im REALLY looking toward Gaston's!

Since I missed the inaugural Kentucky Dam, Im REALLY looking toward Gaston's!

Dude, it was a hoot. We were bummed you and Susan couldn't make it.

If we can drag a few of our new found Dam friends into it, Gaston's ought to be even better!

It sounds fun.
We may fly in for lunch or something, but probably head out early.
Not much on drinking and partying.
To each his own though...no offense.

Do they typically sell-out with their cabins every year? If so, what are lodging options

Do they typically sell-out with their cabins every year? If so, what are lodging options

Early booking is encouraged. There are sometimes overlapping events. There is a state park down the road a couple miles for camping. There are some mom and pop joints in Bull Shoals not too far away. And sometimes people book cabins and hav an extra bed for rent.

I will never book at Gaston's until they change their cancellation policy. They own an airstrip they should realize that weather is an issue.

I will never book at Gaston's until they change their cancellation policy. They own an airstrip they should realize that weather is an issue.

Perhaps it is because they own an airstrip that they know that weather can be an issue. IOW, perhaps they can't afford to have the place empty and generating no revenue just because a weather system comes through.

Perhaps it is because they own an airstrip that they know that weather can be an issue. IOW, perhaps they can't afford to have the place empty and generating no revenue just because a weather system comes through.

Yeah but...

Last year I cancelled 4 months in advance. Plenty of time for them to rebook. Lost the entire deposit. One night's charge, which, for this cabin, was $175, that's a tad bit onerous when given 4 month's notice.

But it's their policy and we all know what it is.

Yeah but...

Last year I cancelled 4 months in advance. Plenty of time for them to rebook. Lost the entire deposit. One night's charge, which, for this cabin, was $175, that's a tad bit onerous when given 4 month's notice.

But it's their policy and we all know what it is.
It's how they are able to keep the restaurant's process so low.

I think if they had to rely solely on fly-in business they would have been out of business years ago.

@eman1200 you are going to attend correct?

crikey, that could be a 5-6 hour flight, I might have to make a fuel stop.

if I went to the gastons fly-in I'd kinda feel obligated to try and outdo the last fly-in I went to. to recap the last fly-in, we had an extra large, extra hairy redneck fella dressed up in celine dion man-lingerie whilst jamming on the guitar and chugging jack daniels without using his hands. well he used his hands to play guitar, just not to chug the JD. anyways, now that I'm thinking it thru I kinda feel like we need to outdo that one. but man, a 6 hour flight and HEAVY penalty for cancelling a reservation? wait, in October? my annual is due in october. hhmmmmm, got some thinkings to do.

crikey, that could be a 5-6 hour flight, I might have to make a fuel stop.

if I went to the gastons fly-in I'd kinda feel obligated to try and outdo the last fly-in I went to. to recap the last fly-in, we had an extra large, extra hairy redneck fella dressed up in celine dion man-lingerie whilst jamming on the guitar and chugging jack daniels without using his hands. well he used his hands to play guitar, just not to chug the JD. anyways, now that I'm thinking it thru I kinda feel like we need to outdo that one. but man, a 6 hour flight and HEAVY penalty for cancelling a reservation? wait, in October? my annual is due in october. hhmmmmm, got some thinkings to do.

Just wanted to point out that Bob Bement and his wife flew down from Oregon to Gaston's for a 1 night stay in 2016 in his old 182. He sashayed in like it wasn't nuthin'. Legen.......wait for it......dary! It was only 500 miles further than from NC and he's only 80 or so, but your right, it's a long trip for you. ;)

Just wanted to point out that Bob Bement and his wife flew down from Oregon to Gaston's for a 1 night stay in 2016 in his old 182. He sashayed in like it wasn't nuthin'. Legen.......wait for it......dary! It was only 500 miles further than from NC and he's only 80 or so, but your right, it's a long trip for you. ;)

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he was in bed by what, 9pm or so?

Not to mention he did a scud run for most of the trip. Everyone else...who live a LOT closer...drove!

Back