Cessna 182P Takeoff Distance 0 degrees Flaps

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
I never realized this before...but where I can find takeoff distance for 0 degrees of flaps? I have looked in the POH and it only gives best takeoff distance for flaps 20 and full power before roll (short field takeoff). I have looked in the Gyronimo app (nice program BTW) and it pretty much mimics the POH.

Maybe an example:

Lets say you're planning to takeoff in a carb'd 182 on a nice paved, level runway and no obstacle to clear. Between the weight of the plane, length of the runway and density alititude you're not sure whether you should use flaps or not? You've run the numbers and the field is 1200' longer than the POH indicated short field takeoff distance. Is there any resource to know the 0 deg flaps takeoff distance so a decision like this can be made properly? Obviously you could just say "Do a shortfield". Well, what if the runway is another 800' longer or another 1200' longer. At some point a short field takeoff would not be necessary. Is this just a pilot/plane experience thing?

I would think normal takeoff roll would be in the “Thanks for buying a Cessna” POH. I seldom use flaps for takeoff unless I’m playing around, I’m always on fairly long paved runways. I doubt the difference is more than a couple hundred feet, if that much. My dad flew his 182P off a grass strip that was 1200, maybe 1300 feet long and never had an issue.

Is there any resource to know the 0 deg flaps takeoff distance so a decision like this can be made properly? Obviously you could just say "Do a shortfield". Well, what if the runway is another 800' longer or another 1200' longer. At some point a short field takeoff would not be necessary. Is this just a pilot/plane experience thing?

I have looked at various C182 AFM's available to me and short field configuration/performance is all I see too. If it was me, I would load up and record the performance (at a suitable runway of course) at various DA's and then you would have 0° flap performance for your aircraft...

One way to look at it is, good for short field good for normal. ;)

I've almost never flaps on take-off with my 182P. My data may not be helpful as I have a 3 blade scimitar prop and turbo normalized STC.

Flapless take-offs are not much longer than 20º flaps. 2800' paved runway, standard day, no wind, max gross; likely 13-1400' or less. If you have a runway 2800' or longer go test it out.

I've almost never flaps on take-off with my 182P. My data may not be helpful as I have a 3 blade scimitar prop and turbo normalized STC.

Flapless take-offs are not much longer than 20º flaps. 2800' paved runway, standard day, no wind, max gross; likely 13-1400' or less. If you have a runway 2800' or longer go test it out.

On my 206 I take off w 20 degrees flaps. With no flaps ground roll is increased 20-30% easily. Not a 182 of course.

I like the suggestions for finding a long runway and determining your own numbers. Know your own aircraft. In Eckalbar’s books about flying high performance singles and twins, and the one about the Bonanza, he describes how to determine several performance numbers, Vy, best glide in different configurations, etc. It’s worth a look.

For me, when flying the 182Q, I find that Flaps 10 on takeoff is a good compromise. The flaps get the airplane off the ground sooner, and when you reach flying speed the airplane just seems to easily lift off and get flying with less effort. Less wear on the tires, too.

Back