What to do with my Bose X

asicer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
asicer
I recently discovered some frayed wires and decided to re-think my headset collection (goodbye QFR, hello Zulu 3, thank you unpublished trade up program!). One thing I'm not sure about is my old Bose X.

I got it a while back off of Craigslist for a steal of a price. Several months later, I found out why: the serial number had been torn off and is missing. So now I am not sure what to do with it. It's still working and I haven't noticed anything broken yet other than the battery cover retention tab.

The missing serial number pretty much makes it useless for trade-in, right? And I imagine it would be a red flag if I tried to resell it. Could I get a non-working parts headset with a good serial number off of eBay and swap in the frame? If so, how hard of an operation would this be?

I suppose the most probable thing would be that I continue to use it until it breaks and then deal with it. It hasn't given me any trouble yet.

Better yet, send it to me. I am a licensed headset disposal service..... no charge....:lol::lol:

I would probably use it until it quits.

Continue to use it. You can always pass it on to a needy pilot,or a friend.

I'm guessing you unwittingly bought a stolen headset. I can't see any other reason for removing the serial number. Keep it for as long as it works and use it as a pax headset.

I'm guessing you unwittingly bought a stolen headset. I can't see any other reason for removing the serial number. Keep it for as long as it works and use it as a pax headset.
Yup. I didn't even know there was a serial number at the time.

I guess I am thinking ahead to when it does need service.

Man, my CFII finally got through to me with regards to thinking ahead. If only I could do that while on IFR :)

Good luck getting rid of it I’ve been waiting for mine to break so I’ll have an excuse to get a new headset, been ten years now.

I had three Bose X headsets stolen from my airplane, parked inside a hangar. Now I know where one of them ended up.

Man, my CFII finally got through to me with regards to thinking ahead. If only I could do that while on IFR :)

It comes. You do it enough, these things just come automatically. Just gotta get the habit thing going.

Good luck!

Yup. I didn't even know there was a serial number at the time.

I guess I am thinking ahead to when it does need service.

Bose does not service these or sell parts anymore. When it quits your out of luck.
I can hook you up when you need another like new headset. :)

Dumb question...

I saw it mentioned a while back about taking the X in trade for an A20. Are they still doing that?

Too bad the latest offer expires tomorrow.

I'm sure Bose will come out with something else before too long. The speaker wasn't necessarily on my list of gotta haves.

I still use my Bose X and will until it craps out. Great headset!

Keep it around as a backup for a passenger. If you are wanting to get rid of it, I'm sure someone here would buy it, serial number or not.

I'd bet that if you use the headset for a tradeup with Lightspeed or MyPilotStore, they will never notice a missing serial number, nor will they do anything about it. They got a new headset sale and don't want to lose it. There's a receiving person (or dept.) that will simply log that the headset was received so you get your tradeup credit, and then it is quickly tossed in a pile to go to the electronics recycler.

$425 off on a Lightspeed Sierra brings the purchase down to $225, which is something I'd do in a second.

I'd bet that if you use the headset for a tradeup with Lightspeed or MyPilotStore, they will never notice a missing serial number, nor will they do anything about it. They got a new headset sale and don't want to lose it. There's a receiving person (or dept.) that will simply log that the headset was received so you get your tradeup credit, and then it is quickly tossed in a pile to go to the electronics recycler.

$425 off on a Lightspeed Sierra brings the purchase down to $225, which is something I'd do in a second.

Not gonna work. It basically needs to be pristine, meaning no cracks, frayed cords and needs original ear seals and serial number tag, to get the trade in. Oh, and have the case or they deduct $$$ if you don’t have it.

My X had the dreaded ever so small crack on the yoke, otherwise it was perfect. I traded it in to a Bose store in NYC. They offered the speaker, but I told them I didn’t want it, I wanted cash discount. They gave it to me, but it took a few calls to get it approved. By The Way, they have to imput the serial number.

I flew with the A20 for the first time today, a most excellent flight!

Not gonna work. It basically needs to be pristine, meaning no cracks, frayed cords and needs original ear seals and serial number tag, to get the trade in. Oh, and have the case or they deduct $$$ if you don’t have it.

My X had the dreaded ever so small crack on the yoke, otherwise it was perfect. I traded it in to a Bose store in NYC. They offered the speaker, but I told them I didn’t want it, I wanted cash discount. They gave it to me, but it took a few calls to get it approved. By The Way, they have to imput the serial number.

Take another look at my post... Yeah, trying to trade in on a Bose at a Bose dealer it's gonna be an issue. Trading in on another brand probably won't be an issue.

I was ready to jump ship on the Bose and get the Zulu 3, but none of the on-line stores would take my X with the yoke crack well, they wanted to only give me $100. Bose didn’t care about the crack, so I went back.

How much did they give you?

Unless you find a good trade in, I'd just keep them for passengers. Since Bose was doing the deal for the nice speaker, I just splurged for a backup/passenger pair of A20s recently. Was like a $300 discount, as I wanted that speaker anyway.

I did the lightspeed trade in last year, had an old lightspeed headset that didn't work at all and they took off $250.

Back