[NA]Size this UPS/surge suppressor[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Need 30 minutes of runtime. (15 will do but lets oversize it)

Here are the devices:
A. Ordinary desktop computer; lmk if you need better specs
B. Ordinary monitor; same
C. Canon Pixma MG2525 Printer
D. Device #1 "24vdc/6.25A power supply input 120v/2A"
E. Device#2 "24vdc/A power supply input 120v/2A"
F. Device #3 120v 1.3A
G. Router Netgear ProSafe FVS318G

Any problems going too big?
I have, and like my APC UPS BR1300G "350W for 20mins"

Add up all the loads you think you're going to use simoultaneously.

The Printer burns 9W while printing.
Router is spec'd at 18W.
Your three devices are about 150W each, as far as their power supplies go, but probably take less.
The computer can run anywhere between 100W and 250W depending on what it is and how hard you're running it.
A LCD monitor runs about 40-50W.

The question is how long do you want to be able to run without the power.
I typically leave the system unit and the network on the UPS and let everything else fluctuate with the power.

I've been really happy with my APS UPS that protects a good sized 4 disk Dell tower server, lcd monitor, and several external hard drives.

We've had it over two years, it has always worked. I've set it up to shut down the server if the UPS battery gets low. It's done that once, IRRC.

I don't see why you would connect a printer to a UPS, but YMMV.

ohVsxCQ.png

Oy43qaW.png

ohVsxCQ

Attachments

• ups2.png
    ups2.png
    109.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
175 WH of runtime isn't going to get you there then. He could be burning 700W. He needs twice what that system has to offer (or shed some load).

175 WH of runtime isn't going to get you there then. He could be burning 700W. He needs twice what that system has to offer (or shed some load).

Mine is set to shut down the server when there is 8 minutes of power left, I'd rather ensure I have an orderly shutdown than try an extract every last coulomb of energy from the battery.

Ya I can drop the printer; looks like the BR1300G will work, any disagreements? Thanks.

Ya I can drop the printer; looks like the BR1300G will work, any disagreements? Thanks.

For the tiny price difference, I personally would get the 1500. But the 1300 should be okay.

You may want to consider getting an additional battery backup for the network devices and phone. That will allow you to shut down or hibernate the computer and completely turn off the UPS during a blackout, which preserves some power to start it briefly if need be during a blackout; while keeping phones, Internet, and WiFi up.

Rich

Nobody asked you how long you need to run it all for.

Without that question answered, all they’ve answered is the part about not overloading the UPS.

But hey, if you buy an APC you get PowerChute
Software for windows free, and can pretend you own a Cirrus, so you have that going for ya. :)

(If you have a Mac the UPS shutdown software is built into the OS, just connect the cable and set the settings.)

I thought it was the most important thing so I made it the very first sentence.

Ah right. So generally after you have all your peak loads you figure run time for the worst case scenario and then add a little more for inefficiency and losses when running on battery.

But sounds like you know this. :)

In answer to the last question on the OP's first post, no, you can't hurt anything by having too large a UPS. For all practical purposes, it can never be too large.

Well, it will hurt one thing. Your budget. :D

Back