7600 is not for VFR

Thanks for the information, I expect that would be very distracting to a controller. Moving at glacial speed, they're probably still using the same equipment you used, don't you think?

I agree that he should have done it for just a minute. Hopefully someone explained that to him.
Most of the TRACON's and Towers are using STARS (which I work on) and a 7600 code will just cause the track to display a red "NR" next to it for "no radio". I don't think it's distracting at all. It does sound a pretty obnoxious alarm but that can be quickly muted.

If you're on FF and callout a mayday, they'll mark where you drop off radar.
That's true and it's one reason I don't bother with flight plans, but I also have loved ones that always know where I'm going and when I should be there.

Pretty similar still. Aural alarm and blinks bright red with RF.

Not that it matters what I'd do but here it goes anyway. I would change to 7600 for less than a min and then 1200. Fly in airspace that doesn't require comm's and land. If I needed to enter a tower's airspace for some reason then I'd squawk 7600 10 miles from the boundary, enter and look for light gun signals.

And transmit intentions in the blind in case you happen to be transmitting but not receiving. Something like, "Podunk tower Bug 12345 is 5 miles east transmitting in the blind, landing Podunk looking for light gun signals, Please rock the tower if you hear me...."

And transmit intentions in the blind in case you happen to be transmitting but not receiving. Something like, "Podunk tower Bug 12345 is 5 miles east transmitting in the blind, landing Podunk looking for light gun signals, Please rock the tower if you hear me...."

This story started with a “stuck mic” and the pilot should have said something before powering the radio down, also. Probably save a lot of phone calls anyway, if his audio was still transmitted. :)

Count me as one of the clueless pilots who would have been 7600 the rest of my journey. I had no idea it created a ruckus. I only used it once and that was 15 years ago to come back into a D field. Even then I was nervous, but it was something I'd never experienced before so it was all new to me.

Now that I'm thinking about it, if they don't want you to be 7600 the rest of the flight it really should say that somewhere. Well, somewhere other than a PoA thread.*

*one of the 1,000,0001 things I love about this site. The things you can learn in a friendly environment.

Count me as one of the clueless pilots who would have been 7600 the rest of my journey. I had no idea it created a ruckus. I only used it once and that was 15 years ago to come back into a D field. Even then I was nervous, but it was something I'd never experienced before so it was all new to me.

Now that I'm thinking about it, if they don't want you to be 7600 the rest of the flight it really should say that somewhere.
Here's a theory. Squawking 7600 is sort of declaring an emergency. You ought to be landing soon in most scenarios where there is an emergency, so it shouldn't be an issue. If losing comm isn't creating an emergency for you, you probably shouldn't squawk 7600.

Here's a theory. Squawking 7600 is sort of declaring an emergency. You ought to be landing soon in most scenarios where there is an emergency, so it shouldn't be an issue. If losing comm isn't creating an emergency for you, you probably shouldn't squawk 7600.

Not saying you are wrong, but I assumed squawking 7700 would be used if an emergency and 7600 is just a "hey I am out here, but my radio isn't working and that is why we are no longer talking" I don't know how it works from a controllers side, but it would seem that if a plane is on FF and then can't be reached and a plane in the same general area starts squawking 7600, the controller would figure out that it was the same plane. I guess ADSB will ultimately solve this problem.

Not saying you are wrong, but I assumed squawking 7700 would be used if an emergency and 7600 is just a "hey I am out here, but my radio isn't working and that is why we are no longer talking" I don't know how it works from a controllers side, but it would seem that if a plane is on FF and then can't be reached and a plane in the same general area starts squawking 7600, the controller would figure out that it was the same plane. I guess ADSB will ultimately solve this problem.
If I'm causing alarms to go off in ATC, personally, I'm not going to keep flying around like everything is fine. I'm either going to land, or not keep squawking 7600.

This story started with a “stuck mic” and the pilot should have said something before powering the radio down, also. Probably save a lot of phone calls anyway, if his audio was still transmitted. :)

20/20 hindsight, try unplugging the mic and see if the tx goes away on the radio. If it does the problem is with the mic if not it is the airplane or radio. If the problem is the mic plug in a spar mic/headset or if you do not have one just plug in the bad one when you want to talk.

20/20 hindsight, try unplugging the mic and see if the tx goes away on the radio. If it does the problem is with the mic if not it is the airplane or radio. If the problem is the mic plug in a spar mic/headset or if you do not have one just plug in the bad one when you want to talk.

Yup. So many people have never had the “fun” of troubleshooting the intercom sitting on the floor with the velcroed on PTT on the yoke and all that jazz. PTT problems rarely affect the audio.

One time when I had a stuck mic, I eventually figured out that I could turn the transmitter selection knob to a channel that had no radio connected to it, such as the "TEL" position that the audio panel had. That allowed me to listen to what ATC was saying by setting the panel to monitor the COM channel, and then I just used the transmitter selection knob like a push-to-talk switch. (If there hadn't been a TEL channel on the audio panel, I could have just turned off COM 2 and switched to that channel when I wanted to stop transmitting on COM 1.)

Back