Lost In Space reboot -- anybody watching?

Van Johnston

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Van Johnston
Finished episode 10 last night. Can't decide if I like it or not. Don't find either the John or Maureen characters likable. I like the kids and West though. And obviously you have to suspend your belief about most things you know to be true about science, engineering, astronomy, and spaceflight.

Anybody else?

Karen and I watched Episode 1 last night.

Pretty well done. Good special effects. In any case good enough that we’ll continue with the series.

I watched two episodes. The characters aren't very compelling, but I agree that the effects are very well done.

Finished episode 10 last night. Can't decide if I like it or not. Don't find either the John or Maureen characters likable. I like the kids and West though. And obviously you have to suspend your belief about most things you know to be true about science, engineering, astronomy, and spaceflight.

Anybody else?

I just finished it last night too. I agree with you, although I might be even more critical of it. Most of the dialogue is pretty weak. And there are so many things that don't make technical sense. It's annoying because it's not that hard to come up with details that would make a little more sense and would work for the plot....but they just didn't bother. I did enjoy it all the same though. It looks great and the robot is cool.

Still holding out. Not getting NetFlix. You can't make me! Might like to see several Netflix series though.

I haven't watched anything on Netflix. Not going to start now. I remember the original series back in the 60s. And the Mad Magazine satire - Loused up in space - that thoroughly nailed it. Once was more than enough.

What is new to Netflix this May

On a broader point...

...some of the very best TV out there currently is Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Hulu Originals.

If anyone is passing on those for some higher perceived “principle”, then they’re missing a lot.

As an aside, we “cut the cord” by ditching Dish Network over 3 years ago. Even adding up the coats of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and CBS All Access the total cost is still reasonable, and we’re never without something good to watch. If anything, there are too many good choices.

I started the first episode and couldn't finish it. This may sound funny since it's SciFi (I've been a fan since I was a kid), but i just didn't believe it. I didn't find the characters to be "real," and it felt like special effects were being substituted for story and character.

I'll probably check out some later episodes. I've seen a good number of shows I thought were terrible in the beginning but got better later. Others, no so much.

On a broader point...

...some of the very best TV out there currently is Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Hulu Originals.

If anyone is passing on those for some higher perceived “principle”, then they’re missing a lot.

As an aside, we “cut the cord” by ditching Dish Network over 3 years ago. Even adding up the coats of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and CBS All Access the total cost is still reasonable, and we’re never without something good to watch. If anything, there are too many good choices.
What do you do about local stations/regular network, or do you just not bother?

What do you do about local stations/regular network, or do you just not bother?

We use CBS All Access for the Evening News, and local news if we need it. Other network shows we watch the next day on Hulu.

We would similarly buy the same style service from ABC and NBC were they available.

We live in a valley in the boonies and can’t get OTA service.

Finally, there’s a video podcast called “Cordkillers” that discusses what to watch and how to watch it for those who have or are contemplating cutting the cord. Like it enough that we voluntarily pay $1 per episode via Patreon.com. The other podcast we like enough to pay for is “Opening Arguments”, a twice-weekly podcast discussing legal issues in the news. It has a Liberal bias, but they’re up front and not coy about it.

Last edited:
On a broader point...

We also have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime but not CBS All Access. Besides those subscriptions, we just pay for internet. We use an antenna for local channels. Pretty happy with it.

I just finished it last night too. I agree with you, although I might be even more critical of it. Most of the dialogue is pretty weak. And there are so many things that don't make technical sense. It's annoying because it's not that hard to come up with details that would make a little more sense and would work for the plot....but they just didn't bother. I did enjoy it all the same though. It looks great and the robot is cool.

Agree 100%; like I said you have to suspend your belief.

Also, forgot to say, I like what they did with the theme.

It's fun, just don't go expecting schindlers list or a gene Roddenberry thing. Only thing that bugged my that's not right but was in the start them just launching flairs with nothing in sight.

We use CBS All Access for the Evening News, and local news if we need it. Other network shows we watch the next day on Hulu.

We would similarly buy the same style service from ABC and NBC were they available.

We live in a valley in the boonies and can’t get OTA service.

Finally, there’s a video podcast called “Cordkillers” that discusses what to watch and how to watch it for those who have or are contemplating cutting the cord. Like it enough that we voluntarily pay $1 per episode via Patreon.com. The other podcast we like enough to pay for it is “Opening Arguments”, a twice-weekly podcast discussing legal issues in the news. It has a Liberal bias, but they’re up front and not coy about it.
Thanks.

I’ve seen a few episodes. So far I like the fact the just about everyone is compromised, the robot(so far) is evil and of course Dr. Smith is wonderful. But we’ll see. I don’t binge watch anything, so it might take awhile.

Just finished it last night. While the name of the show is Lost in Space, I didn't expect they'd spend the entire first season Marooned on Planet.

I thought the characters were hollow and lifeless at first but that got better, except for Dr. Smith. She is way too over the top. I wish someone would blow her out the airlock already. It also seems like nearly every bad thing that happens in the plot is caused by her directly or indirectly. It's frustrating for the viewer with no relief, ever.

Not crazy about some of the writing. The characters have a tendency to drop what they're doing in the middle of an emergency to have a heart to heart talk.

Altered Carbon on Netflix looked promising but after ep3 I was ready to jump ship but the better half continued watching it. Will be surprised if there is a season 2.

Lost in space, good effects, lead male was a weak Bond villain ( Die Another Day) and not a strong actor over all.

Can’t stand Will.

Weaknesses that others have covered. Still, it was an interesting twist. I like the idea of Smith being female, and the robot being an alien. I'll continue watching it, mostly because of the West character. I like him. The rest of the cast were placeholders for me. I do see interesting potential, though. They could do a lot with it, if they're willing. The problem with most sci fi these days is that it's always based on the surface rather than in space. Less expensive that way.

I loved the original version when I was a kid. I still watch the original if I see it on.
With you. Now this is what a true robot should look like! And Penny was easy on the eyes...sorta of a 1960s Hailee Steinfeld.

3fdb891c4e501f0b8ca23f21298d7045--jonathan-harris-lost-in-space.jpg
4109cf901676a84fe6c0b114d64d3fa0--space-place-lost-in-space.jpg

lost-in-space-robot-3.jpg

WARNING..!!! WARNING..!!!

My arms are flailing wildly.!!!

On the topic of Sci Fi on the premium internet channels, putting a pitch in here for "the Expanse" on Amazon Prime. Hard_ish sci fi, they worry about g's, burn rates. On a hard burn they get drugs injected to not pass out. They have non_FTL fusion drive (unexplained) but for short runs go "teakettle" using reaction mass. The space warfare there is as I imagined it, like submarine warfare. They go dark, not emitting any emissions and then launch torpedoes.

I grew up on the original. I enjoyed the reboot on Netflix. I watch Netflix through an Apple TV. I turn on closed caption for most shows. When the plot line is moving along too slow - I double speed through it and read the captions. I did that a few times on this series. But it was a good series.

You do have to suspend belief - but that is kind of the point with sci-fi. I will look forward to the next season.

And - I also thought Penny was hot back in 1967! I am afraid to look for one of those “where are they now” pictures.

Last edited:
I watched it, will check out second season but the editing killed me, it kept jumping around, tough to follow and it seemed like pieces of the storyline would be skipped. Maybe it was directing, but it could have been better.

I watched it, will check out second season but the editing killed me, it kept jumping around, tough to follow and it seemed like pieces of the storyline would be skipped. Maybe it was directing, but it could have been better.
21st Century editing for the ADHD Generation.

On the topic of Sci Fi on the premium internet channels, putting a pitch in here for "the Expanse" on Amazon Prime. Hard_ish sci fi, they worry about g's, burn rates. On a hard burn they get drugs injected to not pass out. They have non_FTL fusion drive (unexplained) but for short runs go "teakettle" using reaction mass. The space warfare there is as I imagined it, like submarine warfare. They go dark, not emitting any emissions and then launch torpedoes.

I like the Expanse.

It's pretty good science-wise. I get bothered at times that they seem to always be in a burn; why? Or when they don't want to broadcast because others will know where they are, but the engines are burning. Really? No one will see that? *sigh*

Back