Flying from Iowa to Bay Area (seeking advise)

JBrown243

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
So I bought a Tiger in Cherokee Iowa and need to fly it back. Any recommendations on the route or any cool places to visit? I wanted to visit Mount Rushmore on the way back but other than that dont really know where to visit on the return trip. I"m trying to make 500-600 miles per day and make it a 3 day trip.

I flew a similar route in reverse in my old Archer II, from the Bay Area to Minneapolis.

I'd recommend:

Mt. Rushmore
Devil's Tower, WY
Sheridan, WY (good fuel stop)
Grand Tetons and/or Yellowstone

Really not much to see after that.

In Alliance Nebraska, KAIA, I would like to visit Car Henge. Old cars planted in the Earth as a replica of Stone Henge.

Live in Iowa.
California is isn't worth the time, money or effort anymore.
What am I saying??!
Neither is New York, so I better start packing.

Live in Iowa.
California is isn't worth the time, money or effort anymore.
What am I saying??!
Neither is New York, so I better start packing.
OP already lives in the Bay Area and only wants to fly the airplane back.

So I bought a Tiger in Cherokee Iowa and need to fly it back. Any recommendations on the route or any cool places to visit? I wanted to visit Mount Rushmore on the way back but other than that dont really know where to visit on the return trip. I"m trying to make 500-600 miles per day and make it a 3 day trip.

Where in Iowa are you picking it up?

For Mt. Rushmore start in Rapid City (make sure you don't land at Ellsworth AFB!). Tell them you want to fly by the monument (they don't really call it Mt. Rushmore). It faces east, so mornings are best.

was thinking of KRAP KCUT KCPR KEMM KBMC LCU KLWL LWL BAM LLC KLOL KRNO KMEV KTVL O61

It is still early spring, but try to make your mountain crossings before noon. You’ll have two ranges to cross, Rockies, and Sierra Nevada. Looks like the I-80 corridor may be best for you on both ranges. Ogden UT, north of Salt Lake City has great service and a good on airport restaurant. Just be sure to work with approach control for the Class B and getting past Hill AFB.

It is still early spring, but try to make your mountain crossings before noon. You’ll have two ranges to cross, Rockies, and Sierra Nevada. Looks like the I-80 corridor may be best for you on both ranges. Ogden UT, north of Salt Lake City has great service and a good on airport restaurant. Just be sure to work with approach control for the Class B and getting past Hill AFB.
Yeah, I-80 is good. Across Wyoming it will be a little bit breezy in the afternoon and don’t get downwind of Elk Mountain. The rotors off of Elk Mountain go to the ground on a windy day.

I’ve heard that West Yellowstone airport has good on-airport camping, if you’re into that.

I’ve heard that West Yellowstone airport has good on-airport camping, if you’re into that.

I live near here, and we still have a ton of snow. Airport is currently closed as well. I can recommend KEKS for fuel though. Good people.

We flew from Cody, WY to Driggs, ID last year (June). Yellowstone deserves a fly-over if the weather is good.

DSCN7191.jpg

Yeah, let's ease up on the state bashing. We all have good reasons we live where we live.

Did a similar flight in a Cherokee years ago. Sioux Falls RON
Billings RON
Coeur D'Alene RON
Portland RON
and then down to Tahoe

Got to see Mt Rushmore, Glacier Park, Flathead Lake, Lake Pend Orielle, Rainier St Helens, Flew the Columbia past PDX, Hood, Three Sisters, Crater Lake, Shasta.....

well I ended up flying south then west. visited Dodge City, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Sedona, and Apple Valley.

Sometimes that's the best way. When I've headed west I've always had a few different routes planned and I'd take the route with the best looking weather once I was ready to depart.

Back