Cops!

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
You law enforcement folks be careful out there! Another cop killed in Maine, 24 hours after two shot in Dallas.

Last edited:
Nearby town. Suspect still on the loose.
wanted.png

I'm disappointed, I thought from the thread title this was going to be a "the police are outside my door right now, what should I do?" thread.

Retired out of LE...wouldn't care to go back nowadays. My total admiration to someone willing to do the job under current conditions. The good Sarge had it right....careful!

Jim

I thought this was going to be about the COPS TV show sound man who got shot by police shooting at a fleeing robber who had shot at them with a pellet gun.

I thought this was going to be about the COPS TV show sound man who got shot by police shooting at a fleeing robber who had shot at them with a pellet gun.

Saw that on the news. At least they also took out the robber. That's good right? o_O:)

Hill Street was one of the most realistic cop show to date. Still remember in the first episode two of the lead characters got shot, and the first show ended with them still laying in an abandoned building. Talk reality TV?

Did my best to plan 3-11 shift dinner break around Hill Street... was a do not miss.

Jim

Although not fully a 'cop' show, I've been tuned to reruns of NCIS Los Angeles. Entertaining, but in terms of reality, it's completely ludicrous.

At one time, it was more dangerous to be a pizza delivery guy in Alaska than it was to be a bush pilot.

Ok, so what's your point? I suspect most pilot deaths are due to their own incompetence, not because people are randomly targeting them for execution.

As I said, even if it is true, it is a ridiculous thing to say. Chain saw juggling is probably more dangerous too, but chain saw jugglers and pilots are not out to try to protect me.

Next time you get mugged or assaulted, call another pilot.

The difference is that deaths in those occupations are generally due to accident or carelessness, rather than a person’s deliberate act with the intent to harm the officer. Loggers aren’t being killed by someone cutting a tree and aiming it at the logger in hopes of killing him.

Unfortunately and completely avoidably, a lot of officers are still dying in traffic collisions, usually because they are driving too fast during an emergency response or pursuit. If they crash on the way to the scene, they can’t help anyone.

I retired after 29 years, 23 in patrol. Glad to be gone - I miss the people (coworkers and the public),but not the work.

Anyone who shoots at the cops shouldn't be surprised when the cops shoot back. Serves the d@mned fool right!
The surprised guy was the guy on the ride along that got fatally shot even wearing a bullet proof vest.

The surprised guy was the guy on the ride along that got fatally shot even wearing a bullet proof vest.

A very good reason not to do ride alongs. It’s not freaking Disneyland.

I ain’t riding if I’m not fully deputized and armed. No effing way. I saw how fast a normal day could turn to **** from the other end of the radio at the dispatch console.

Ride alongs are just stupid.

Ok, so what's your point? I suspect most pilot deaths are due to their own incompetence, not because people are randomly targeting them for execution.

As I said, even if it is true, it is a ridiculous thing to say. Chain saw juggling is probably more dangerous too, but chain saw jugglers and pilots are not out to try to protect me.

Dead is still dead. Dying at work because you got careless or because someone shot at you, you're still dead. Lots of jobs way more dangerous than being a cop.

Any chief who gives the green light for a TV crew to slug along with officers on duty isn't fit to be chief. I know the show has been on the air for 20some years, but I've said from day 1 that was a stupid idea. Can you imagine the things that have happened that we DON'T know about? Cops stumbling over cords, bumping into camera men, and showing off for the camera.

A very good reason not to do ride alongs. It’s not freaking Disneyland.

I ain’t riding if I’m not fully deputized and armed. No effing way. I saw how fast a normal day could turn to **** from the other end of the radio at the dispatch console.

Ride alongs are just stupid.

A very good friend of mine was in law enforcement for 30 years. When he was a deputy sheriff I would ride with him. Just a little added safety margin.

One reason he enjoyed my company was when a person wanted to be a problem. My friend would turn around and I would take over, usually with a strong arm and quick hands. Funny when the person would look at me and say, you can't do that. I would respond with I am not a cop. I am a private citizen who is tired of people like you and I am going to do something about it.

When I had a pony tail we rolled up on some biker wannabes making trouble. As soon as they saw me they asked why I had long hair. I answered because I am from the agency you do not want to mess with. Those guys calmed down really quick...

I think it is the uniform that makes some people act stupid. We answered a domestic call once. The husband really became aggravated and belligerent with my friend. I put my arm around the husband and told him if he didn't settle down I was going to beat the total monkey muffins out of him. He looked at me and said I can't do that. I gave him the I am not a cop speech and that if he did not settle down I am going to remove his man parts. He settled down and took the cuffs and was quiet on the ride to spend the night in jail.

There were several times where the situation cooled down because I was there. I had long hair and had a hide a way, so I didn't look like a cop and I think that might have been the reason some people calmed down.

The difference is that deaths in those occupations are generally due to accident or carelessness, rather than a person’s deliberate act with the intent to harm the officer. Loggers aren’t being killed by someone cutting a tree and aiming it at the logger in hopes of killing him.

Unfortunately and completely avoidably, a lot of officers are still dying in traffic collisions, usually because they are driving too fast during an emergency response or pursuit. If they crash on the way to the scene, they can’t help anyone.

I retired after 29 years, 23 in patrol. Glad to be gone - I miss the people (coworkers and the public),but not the work.

Thanks to you and the others for your service. And Jim was right, it’s a cruddy time to be in police work. I had every intention of staying 30, but if things don’t get better I’ll be pulling the plug at 20 and going into another line of work.

I was off for an extended period (2-3 months, sick family member) a few years back. I learned very quickly that I’ll miss the people, but not the job.

Thanks to you and the others for your service. And Jim was right, it’s a cruddy time to be in police work. I had every intention of staying 30, but if things don’t get better I’ll be pulling the plug at 20 and going into another line of work.

I was off for an extended period (2-3 months, sick family member) a few years back. I learned very quickly that I’ll miss the people, but not the job.

I pulled the on-the-road stuff at 20, finished up my Computer Science/Management degrees, then came back in to do computer forensics and on-line investigations (trolling for pervs). That might be something to think about, if you're geek-ily inclined. My dad did 32 (I'm 3rd generation LE). It was a different time.

Jim

Last edited:
Unless you just got assaulted because you ****ed off a bunch of pilots ....
My comment wouldn’t have offended me if someone else said it, considering the context.
But I’ll ask; did anyone take offense?

Oh...not offended at all.
Just saying if anyone ever ****es off a bunch of pilots I wouldnt call more pilots.
It was a joke.

Back