Navigating through DFW Class Bravo on a very short flight

Stephen Shore

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sshore
I am planning a flight into DFW Class Bravo tomorrow afternoon into Grand Prairie (KGPM) to pick up my son and then continue on to Addison (KADS) to the Texas Aircraft Expo being held there this weekend. I have flown THROUGH DFW Class B many times and INTO KGPM a few times (IFR and VFR), but I have never navigated around this airspace from airport to airport. It has always been through or just to a destination and then depart from that destination out of the airspace.

My question - how would all of you DFW pilots make this trip - file IFR and go through that hassle, or just fly under the various shelves and make the trip VFR? Some of those shelf limits are awfully low, but I realize that for pilots from this area that is routine - flying that low over congested terrain. The VFR idea for the shear simplicity seems ideal, even though it will not be direct because of having to navigate the various shelf limits. But then again, IFR would certainly not be a direct route but be very circuitous and complicated as well.

What would be the chances of getting VFR flight following for a flight like this on a Friday afternoon? I would think not good.

DFW%20Class%20Bravo%20GPM%20to%20ADSpic_zpsbjyk0miy.jpg

VFR with Flight Following talking to Regional Approach would be pretty seamless I think

That would be the best way for sure....just wondering from those that live and fly there how hard it would be to get it. I have never had any trouble when transitioning through or coming in to a single airfield, but was not sure how easy it was to get close in FF in that air space on a Friday afternoon.

If you mean filing IFR direct, I can't imagine that would be approved for that direct route. Maybe I am overly analyzing it though.

I was kidding. It's POA.

In all seriousness, although not a DFW pilot, I would probably plan on heading east, transitioning through Executive's Class D (with permission) then just work my way around to Addison. Watch out for that antenna farm south of GPM! Get flight following.

Based on exactly no experience flying around there here's my guess on what might work. Head on out to the northeast under the 20/110 shelf. Call Love Tower for a transition right smack dab over the top of KDAL on the way to KADS. Wouldn't surprise me if they got some 'canned' procedure there that does this that you get from KGPM before you depart. How'd I do Dallas Dudes?

ForeFlight lists a previously used route:
KGPM CVE KADS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IIRC you can arrange flight following with KGPM ground.

1. Plot a course from KGPM to KADS that avoids all Class B airspace (probably by circling Dallas low and to the East).
  2. Prior to taxi from KGPM, call their Ground Control and tell them that you want Flight Following to Addision. After a few minutes, they'll give you a transponder squawk code and a frequency that you'll use later to contact Regional Approach.
  3. KGPM Tower might (or might not) give you some simple instructions such as, "after takeoff, fly runway heading, climb and maintain 2000".
  4. Shortly after takeoff, KGPM Tower will tell you to "Contact Approach". Call them on that frequency that you were assigned before you taxi'd. "Regional Approach, Bugsmasher 12345, 1000, climbing 2000" (or whatever).
  5. Go fly the route that you planned, remaining clear of Class B airspace, unless
    1. There's about a 50% - 75% chance that Approach will respond, "Busgmasher 345, climb and maintain 4000', cleared into Class Bravo at 4000', fly heading xxx". You've hit the jackpot! Read that back, and then follow their instructions.
    2. When you get Addision in sight (and be aware -- it's not easy to pick out from the cityscape), tell Approach, "Bugsmasher 345 has Addision in sight", and they'll tell you to contact Addison Tower.

DFW Regional Approach is extremely GA friendly. They want to be talking to you if your anywhere around their airspace.

P.S. - Get Addison's ATIS just as early as you can after takeoff from Grand Prairie. It's going to be longer and more complicated than you're probably used to, but it's got valuable info about which ATC units/frequencies you can expect to talk to on your way in there.

1. Plot a course from KGPM to KADS that avoids all Class B airspace (probably by circling Dallas low and to the East).
  2. Prior to taxi from KGPM, call their Ground Control and tell them that you want Flight Following to Addision. After a few minutes, they'll give you a transponder squawk code and a frequency that you'll use later to contact Regional Approach.
  3. KGPM Tower might (or might not) give you some simple instructions such as, "after takeoff, fly runway heading, climb and maintain 2000".
  4. Shortly after takeoff, KGPM Tower will tell you to "Contact Approach". Call them on that frequency that you were assigned before you taxi'd. "Regional Approach, Bugsmasher 12345, 1000, climbing 2000" (or whatever).
  5. Go fly the route that you planned, remaining clear of Class B airspace, unless
    1. There's about a 50% - 75% chance that Approach will respond, "Busgmasher 345, climb and maintain 4000', cleared into Class Bravo at 4000', fly heading xxx". You've hit the jackpot! Read that back, and then follow their instructions.
    2. When you get Addision in sight (and be aware -- it's not easy to pick out from the cityscape), tell Approach, "Bugsmasher 345 has Addision in sight", and they'll tell you to contact Addison Tower.
DFW Regional Approach is extremely GA friendly. They want to be talking to you if your anywhere around their airspace.

P.S. - Get Addison's ATIS just as early as you can after takeoff from Grand Prairie. It's going to be longer and more complicated than you're probably used to, but it's got valuable info about which ATC units/frequencies you can expect to talk to on your way in there.

If ya hit the 5. 1. Jackpot, do they typically take you pretty much over the top of Love?

If ya hit the 5. 1. Jackpot, do they typically take you pretty much over the top of Love?

Often times, yes.

If they do, don't get caught unawares by the TFR over G.W. Bush's house in Highland Park. It tops out at 1500 AGL, and Approach will hold you high over it before clearing you for lower into Addison.

I would just tell GP ground that you want flight following to Addison at 3,500 or just that you want flight following. They will probably route you over the top of Love Field and the direct to Addison. I have gone the other way plenty of times and have never been turned down.

Have fun, you get a great view of downtown Dallas on that route.

Richard

My best luck with the DFW area has been when requesting FF tell them you will accept what ever altitude works best for them. Hopefully they will send you ENE then north over KDAL. Friday afternoons get busy so good luck. You can try calling ADS ATIS at 972-628-2439 before takeoff, has not worked for me the last few times.

Over the top of Love seems like it keeps you out of the way for arrivals and departures. I’ve gotten that a number of times when going from GPM or GKY to ADS or TKI.

Making the flight this morning. We will not need any services at Addison - 3-4 hour stop. There are no "landing fees" at the airport and I will not purchase any fuel there. The airport diagram does not clearly show a public ramp to park on. Is there a public terminal / ramp at the airport?

I dont see the hassle in going IFR. I would file direct and take whatever routing you get. Have a safe flight and move on with your day. Don’t overthink it

If you find public ramp space at ADS, let us all know. I got charged $50 by Atlantic to drop someone off and was told the only way to get it waived was to buy 100 gallons.

Well, the trip went fine. We went to the Airplane Expo at Atlantic. Since I was not on company business this was on my own dime, and no, there is no public ramp and terminal as there is at Grand Prairie. Yes Aggie 06, I had to pay the $50 parking fee to Atlantic Aviation. Funny how a public airport has not place for the paying public to park like was common at all public airports years ago. Anyway, I paid the $50 and saw some amazing airplanes.

Quick take:
Cirrus - too small. First time I had sat in one. My head grazed the ceiling and my 6'4" son had to scrunch down in the seat in order to get his head in. If he was wearing a headset it would have been worse. Why did they make this airplane so small?

Mooney Acclaim - better headroom than the Cirrus, but narrow. Your butt is on the floor in this airplane.

For sub 6 footers I think the Cirrus is the way to go.

For those of us who are not midgets, they had a Stationaire there. Lots of room.

No Bonanza at all.

Had a Cirrus jet there - much bigger than the pictures make it look. Very impressive airplane.

Had no issues flying in or out. ATC was very accommodating for my short leg from Grand Prairie to Addison. Great view of downtown Dallas too.

Addison is definitely oriented towards the business traveler who doesn't care what the FBO's charge (and yes that is me Monday - Friday).

Back