Where would you have diverted to?

So where would you have gone if you were the captain of the SWA flight?

• PHL

Votes: 30 93.8%
  • MDT

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Somewhere else?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
tl;dr: You don’t know what you’re talking about.

...but everyone else here is rationalizing a "decision" that never considered any other landing option even though a perfectly good one {You think this, and keep repeating is as if it was true. MDT is not a “perfectly good” landing option... far from it. I think it would have been a bad choice.} was literally right in front of them. I contend that they never thought of it.

First, you don’t know if they considered it or not. That’ll be on the CVR, or it won’t be. The Captain may have considered it and thrown it away immediately when she saw how close PHL was.

Our FOM gives a list of items a crew should consider when deciding what the “nearest suitable” airport is. It contains things like runway, ARFF, crew familiarity, navigation facilities, etc. Surprisingly, having someone call into question your decision on an internet message board due to the fact that your plane may “come from together” over downtown Philadelphia while they’re eating a Wawa hoagie in Rittenhouse Square in not on the list.

I bet what it came down to mostly was the crew familiarity. I’m sure they both knew Philly well. It’s a big hub for SWA and they’ve probably been in there dozens and dozens of times. They probably have never been to Harrisburg. But, not knowing anything about Harrisburg, you just know that Philadelphia is a bigger city, with a bigger, better equipped airport and better medical facilities.

But, having said that, if I was on that plane, I would have opted NOT to go to MDT, and I’m really familiar with that airport. I’ve spent plenty of hours there doing touch and goes in heavy jets. First, it’s not a 10,000 foot runway, like you keep saying. It’s a hair longer than 8,000 feet for landing purposes. Approaches to both ends, especially to 31 can be challenging in a large airplane, with terrain on final, and squirrelly winds. She opted to land with Flaps 5, which if I had to make an educated guess, I’d say it probably added 40 knots to her approach speed.

Also, in a large jet, the last thing you want to do in any emergency (save for an on-board fire) is to rush anything. I’m sure we’ve all heard it at some point in our training, but the first thing you should in any emergency is “wind the clock.” The crew was dealing with an engine with severe damage, a rapid decompression, and later on a medical emergency. There are checklists to run, people to coordinate with, data to be gotten, decisions to be made. Even if they went to MDT, I bet they would have had to enter holding or get extended vectors to get everything done that needed to be done. Even with the little bit of extra time to get to Philly, they still took a long, almost 25 mile downwind, before they came back in for the approach.

You’ve had plenty of people on here with experience is this type of flying tell you that all your assumptions were incorrect and PHL was as least as good as an option as MDT. I’m telling you that PHL was actually the better option of the two (in my opinion, not having been there). You seem to be the only one tilting at this windmill, but have at it, Don Quixote...

For the record, I'm not insinuating anyone did anything "wrong", but everyone else here is rationalizing a "decision" that never considered any other landing option even though a perfectly good one was literally right in front of them. I contend that they never thought of it.

What knowledge do you have to support your statement that the crew “never thought” of MDT?

Why are you entitled to an explanation of the crew’s decision making prior to the conclusion of the NTSB report, if even then?

What relevant experience do you have that supports your position that MDT is “perfectly good” for the mission at hand?

What knowledge do you have to support your statement that the crew “never thought” of MDT?

Why are you entitled to an explanation of the crew’s decision making prior to the conclusion of the NTSB report, if even then?

What relevant experience do you have that supports your position that MDT is “perfectly good” for the mission at hand?
The ATC broadcast. The captain initially asked for vectors to the closest, obviously she had no idea.

You are saying we as pilots and the flying public should be excluded from lessons learned? You seem to be taking my inquisitive nature as an affront. Why is that?

I'm a private pilot 18+ years; and you? This was an emergency. MDT was much closer than PHL (and yes, losing altitude is a factor) and I've already voiced my concern with the flight path over the city with "pieces missing" from the aircraft. 11000 ft (even with a 1000' displaced threshold) is suitable for an emergency lading. The area around the airport is pretty flat and open and it's away from Class B complications. If the aircraft was fatally damaged unbeknownst to the crew and it came down in flames over Philadelphia, you guys would all be crying "Why didn't they just land at Harrisburg!!!??? Oh, the humanity!!!!"

Other than that, I'm done. Some of you guys can't consider an alternate viewpoint.

Maybe MDT wasn't even in the airplane database. Someone else may have mentioned that but a great deal of this thread was pretty pointless.

. I've already voiced my concern with the flight path over the city with "pieces missing" from the aircraft. 11000 ft (even with a 1000' displaced threshold) is suitable for an emergency lading. The area around the airport is pretty flat and open and it's away from Class B complications. If the aircraft was fatally damaged unbeknownst to the crew and it came down in flames over Philadelphia, you guys would all be crying "Why didn't they just land at Harrisburg!!!??? Oh, the humanity!!!!"

Other than that, I'm done. Some of you guys can't consider an alternate viewpoint.

I've flown 121 into MDT a lot. Harrisburg area is pretty spread out and populated. So you wouldn't have a problem if it had flown there and dropped parts over that city?

Last edited:
The ATC broadcast. The captain initially asked for vectors to the closest, obviously she had no idea.

You are saying we as pilots and the flying public should be excluded from lessons learned? You seem to be taking my inquisitive nature as an affront. Why is that?

I'm a private pilot 18+ years; and you? This was an emergency. MDT was much closer than PHL (and yes, losing altitude is a factor) and I've already voiced my concern with the flight path over the city with "pieces missing" from the aircraft. 11000 ft (even with a 1000' displaced threshold) is suitable for an emergency lading. The area around the airport is pretty flat and open and it's away from Class B complications. If the aircraft was fatally damaged unbeknownst to the crew and it came down in flames over Philadelphia, you guys would all be crying "Why didn't they just land at Harrisburg!!!??? Oh, the humanity!!!!"

Reading through this thread several people, some of which do fly these types of aircraft, have given reasons as to why PHL is a better choice than MDT but you don’t seem to believe them. Your two points are “it’s closer in miles” and “what if they crash”. The first is nearly irrelevant as has been stated several times and the second is pointless as it’s not a factor in deciding where to go. The crew, listening to the tapes played, were not concerned about falling out of the sky. They were concerned about possible control issues at slower speeds. Possible. The CA took a conservative option and landed at a high speed to preserve control authority which dictated a longer runway. The difference between 10,000ft and 11,000ft might not seem like a lot unless you need that extra 1,000ft.

They needed to land at the nearest suitable, not the nearest.

IMO, the only way MDT would be better than PHL is if both motors were windmilling or there was a fire on board.

Last edited:
Obviously, she had no idea first. But something changed that quickly (probably the FO though we won't know that for a while). Initially, she also thought she had a fire (probably because the engine fire annunciators had gone off), but they revised it to no fire.

Other than ATC asking if they could hold at 11,000 (which they did only for about a minute), there was a pretty constant descent down to the runway. Other than the minute ATC held them at 11,000, they did 3500 FPM down to 12000 and then 1500 or so all the way to the runway.

I would go to PHL for sure - The flight map doesn't provide all of the other factors that must be taken into account to determine where to divert to.

I would go to PHL for sure - The flight map doesn't provide all of the other factors that must be taken into account to determine where to divert to.

On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia.

Just found out the FO was a local guy to me...known the family for a long time...I can assure you nothing on the side in PHL...

I’m pretty sure you are going to hear the FO say, “Hey Capt., I’ve got a side piece that lives in Philly, let’s go there”. :)

...and she has a sister! ;)

A sister? Do you have some special knowledge of the captain and her inclinations that the rest of us don’t?

A sister? Do you have some special knowledge of the captain and her inclinations that the rest of us don’t?

Well, brother, yeah, that's it, brother. My bad. :D
Must have been thinking of something and someone else....

Just found out the FO was a local guy to me...known the family for a long time...I can assure you nothing on the side in PHL...

Whew glad that’s settled. I’m sure someone thought the post about the FO having a gf in PHL was serious.

Whew glad that’s settled. I’m sure someone thought the post about the FO having a gf in PHL was serious.

WHAT??? My info was bad? :) :) :) :):) (is that enough smileys to convey that I’m joking)

Many years ago I was doing cargo runs from Miami to the Caribbean and Central America. We had one run I was doing on a Friday from Miami to Tocumen airport by the Canal Zone. About 2 hours into the flight the left engine decided to take the rest of the day off. Now the weather in the Canal Zone sucked that day, about 300 overcast with a mile vis and projected to stay the same or get worse. Our airports we considered was Kingston (hotel pretty far from airport, not much around), Montego Bay (nice hotel on the beach with plenty of bars and next to the topless beach), Cayman Islands (lousy hotel pretty far from 7 mile beach and not cheap). We knew our maintenance was in Pensacola and the earliest they would get to us would be on Monday. Now where would you divert to??? I'll answer later.

I would not try to second guess their decision to land at PHL in this case. I don't know what information they had when the decision was made. They may not have had the plates for MDT.
Many years ago I was doing cargo runs from Miami to the Caribbean and Central America. We had one run I was doing on a Friday from Miami to Tocumen airport by the Canal Zone. About 2 hours into the flight the left engine decided to take the rest of the day off. Now the weather in the Canal Zone sucked that day, about 300 overcast with a mile vis and projected to stay the same or get worse. Our airports we considered was Kingston (hotel pretty far from airport, not much around), Montego Bay (nice hotel on the beach with plenty of bars and next to the topless beach), Cayman Islands (lousy hotel pretty far from 7 mile beach and not cheap). We knew our maintenance was in Pensacola and the earliest they would get to us would be on Monday. Now where would you divert to??? I'll answer later.
Went to Montego Bay. Maintenance came down on Monday and when we told them what we had for a hotel it seemed they needed more parts. To the hotel we went. Long story short it was Thursday before the plane was 'fixed' and we flew home with half a pallet of Red Strip beer in the back. Cost us 6 cases to get it through customs.

PHL?

I've flown 121 into MDT a lot. Harrisburg area is pretty spread out and populated. So you wouldn't have a problem if it had flown there and dropped parts over that city?
Three Mile Island too.

Of course, the "closest" was 9D4. But the closest "suitable" is clearly MDT.
Or turn around and ABE was probably even closer than MDT when it actually blew if we are splitting hairs pointlessly. And in terms of injuries, does Harrisburg even have a level 1 trauma? Hershey med center? Lehigh Valley is level 1, and obviously Philly is.

Back