Spark Plug anti-sieze for Lycoming

idahoflier

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
idahoflier
I'm about to change my spark plugs and was going to pick up some anti-sieze compound. However Lycoming Service Instruction No. 1042AF says:

"Use a copper-based anti-seize compound or engine oil on spark plug threads starting two full threads from the electrode, but DO NOT use a graphite-based compound." Emphasis on "DO NOT" is theirs, not mine.

So, that being the case, what does everyone use for anti-sieze compound? Everything I have found contains graphite, even the "copper based" stuff. Is engine oil sufficient?

Thanks!

That Lycoming service manual with the change in anti-seize seems fairly new, not saying not to follow it. You can get copper based anti-seize at some of the auto parts stores, google it up. I’m sure Amazon has it. I changed plane plugs a few years back, I used what I had on hand. I like the motor oil idea, mentioned often.

Aircraft plugs come out much more routinely than autos, which helps. I think the official Champion anti-seize has graphite in it, can’t be an extreme reason to avoid. I do see mention of better heat transfer with certain types of anti-seize.

The Champion sparkplug antiseize is 10 to 30% graphite, according to the MSDS.

Motor oil will carbonize and make the plugs stick. It's not a good anti-seize. I run into that sometimes. Oiled plugs have to be fought out of the threads. If that plug sticks badly enough it can pull the Helicoil out of the head. Now you get to spend more money on your "education."

Copper-Coat and Nevr-Seize contain graphite as well. I've never heard of any problems using them. Just don't get any anti-seize on the last couple of threads where it might run down into the eletrodes when it gets hot. It can short the spark. And you don't need a lot of it. A little is good. A lot is not.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBM8HU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71XFdoSMskL._SL1500_.jpg

So, what’s wrong with the nickel stuff? It has a higher temp rating. o_O

I use the copper because thats what Champion and Permatex both recommend for aircraft spark plugs (spark plug threads installed in aluminum). Permatex recommends the nickel stuff for stainless, titanium and nickel alloy applications.

That's the one. It's what I've used for years on Lycoming, Continental, Yamaha, Ford, GM, Stihl, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Johnson, Mercury.
So, what’s wrong with the nickel stuff? It has a higher temp rating. o_O
I retract my previous statement as I hadn't looked at what was actually on my shop shelf. I actually have always been using nickel, this one in particular:
https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-7716...sr=1-2-spons&keywords=nickel+anti-seize&psc=1

It's been a long while since I actually researched this..so I had things flipped in my head...anyhow nickel has a higher temperature and is compatible with stainless-steel. You do not want to use copper with stainless steel.

Nickel costs more than copper. Copper is fine if you aren't using stainless and if the temp rating is acceptable for the application.

I personally have nickel because I didn't care about the price and didn't want to have to remember the rules about the materials. I'd rather just have the most compatible highest temp option on hand as I can't predict the application.

Back