Total hip replacement

Lance WOW ur doing great if ur already driving and working a bit!!
Yesterday was my 5 week anniversary and I’m typing this from the hangar after my second post op flight.
Progress wise, ur about 5 days ahead of me so you should be flying in a couple weeks. Keep it up and for all those that say “don’t overdo it” I say booo! No pain no gain.
My PT is a couple years older than me and had his hip done five years ago. He’s pushing me hard and the results have been great, although most mornings I’m so sore I can hardly walk for the first 30 minutes

Hi-
I am a veteran of THR surgery: 1st one done in the 1970s--shocked the AME when I went in for my 3rd class medical. I had a great recovery and had no problem using the rudder of a 150. I went thru revision THR some 10 years ago, outcome not so positive. I have a bit of range of motion restriction that is bothersome (To me; my AME didn't mention it.) now that I am moving from rusty to fully-qualified private pilot. Nowadays, the surgeons have perfected their techniques--sending the patient home same-day, unthinkable in the 20th century, is now routine. This can be a bit seductive to a normally self-confident, active, person. You can forget that you have had a limb detached, sawed and drilled upon, and reattached, and start thinking that you are "recovered". Truth is, it is a really tough ordeal. Even though pain is well-controlled, and you can wean yourself off the narcotics in a matter of days, it's easy to get exhausted. Nodding off is a common occurrence for the first couple of months post-op. This is not so bad if you are binge-watching Netflix from your La-Z-boy, but is problematic 90 minutes into a 2 hour cross country.
The web is great for accessing patient-oriented stories. My favorite these days is patient.info. It is in England, but lots of North American folks chime in.
HTH

What do they do with the parts they took out.. did you get to take them home like I did with my tonsils..??

I asked my doc for the leftovers and he said no.
Figured the dogs deserved an expensive chew toy.

Apparently if you tell them you want the parts returned for religious reasons then they can't refuse.

With more reading it appears that as long as there is no infectious disease in the removed parts there is no reason for the hospital to refuse returning those removed parts.

No jokes from me about this. Except one small one. My surgery was 7:15am Monday morning. (They used to say never buy a car assembled on a Monday. ) I did ask my surgeon if he’d gotten some sleep.

Nah, you want the dude fresh first thing in the morning. More mistakes get made as the day drags on.

Best wishes on the recovery. And it's been a while since I've seen you in person, but 69! :eek:When did that happen?

Also, this is the first "hip" thought that came to mind:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back