ForeFlight 10 announced

I’ve been sitting patiently cash in hand for about a year waiting for a new iPad mini to come out. I have a mini2 and it’s the exact size I want, the bigger iPads are the better deal right now and the mini 4 is dated.

Will they release a 5? Some rumors claim no but nobody knows. I could buy a mini 4 today and they could release a 5 next month. I could buy one of the larger models today and just try to deal with the larger size that I don’t want to use.

Apple makes planning out your upgrade path nearly impossible with their silly secrecy/marketing hype strategies.

Again you insinuate that I don’t know how it works. Know exactly how it works. And it is stupid.

Based on what you have said in this thread, you clearly do not... So I'm done arguing about it.

Everyone needed the poop emoji to adequately describe the way Apple tried to hide an entire product line outfitted with bad batteries.

The only thing I've used the animated poop emoji on so far is the FAA. :rofl:

But all companies are subject to the physical limitations of lithium batteries, and of course they push the boundaries a bit from time to time in search of more battery life because that's what the users want. Apple used to have a problem with devices shutting off suddenly with 30-40% battery remaining, and part of what you're seeing was originally the fix for that issue.

Samsung, on the other hand, just went ahead and let their batteries keep chugging unrestricted until they started on fire. Pick your poison.

You don’t try to hide a bad hardware release with software to lower performance of your product. ROFLMAO. You certainly don’t blame the problems the OS creates for the battery on the customer when they arrive for assistance with it.

That’s just awful behavior. Truly awful. Especially from one of the richest companies on the planet.

Or, that's the guy at the genius bar having poor customer communication skills when describing what's actually happening.

I’ve been sitting patiently cash in hand for about a year waiting for a new iPad mini to come out. I have a mini2 and it’s the exact size I want, the bigger iPads are the better deal right now and the mini 4 is dated.

Will they release a 5? Some rumors claim no but nobody knows. I could buy a mini 4 today and they could release a 5 next month. I could buy one of the larger models today and just try to deal with the larger size that I don’t want to use.

I'm... Waiting. I'm in exactly the same boat you are, sitting here with a Mini2 and kind of wanting to upgrade, but there isn't a path I like at the moment. I've decided to hold off the iOS 11 upgrade on that iPad to keep it from getting any slower. Of course, the latest ForeFlight requires 10.3 or greater so that strategy may not last too much longer.

Here's what I'm hoping for: That Apple will do with the iPad what they did with the iPhone X. Prior to the iPhone X, there were two sizes: Regular and "Plus". The Plus had some things I wanted (mainly the better camera) but it was just too damn big for a phone, IMO. I really liked the size of my iPhone 6s.

Then, they came along with the iPhone X. By eliminating the button and bezel, they made the screen even larger than the "Plus" models, while the physical size of the device remained almost exactly the same, and the nice cameras came along with it. I really like the iPhone X.

So, apply the same thinking to the iPad: A device that is physically the same size as the Mini, but with bezel and buttons eliminated, giving you a 9" screen in a device the same size as your current Mini. Give it the updated A11 chip, 256GB of storage, and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Apple makes planning out your upgrade path nearly impossible with their silly secrecy/marketing hype strategies.

Secrecy is certainly not unique to Apple - All tech companies, and most other companies, do it too. If you pre-announce your product, people stop buying your current products in favor of the next one, cutting off the revenue you need to keep building the next one. Apple is at least very predictable about when they're going to introduce something - IE, don't buy a new iPhone in August.

Based on what you have said in this thread, you clearly do not... So I'm done arguing about it.

Or... I do and my summaries of the stupidity here aren’t intended to be in-depth code reviews.

Which code review boards or change control boards for software have you sat on for living, again? Hmm.

Decades of experience seeing bad design and/or sloppy/lazy design and calling it out as a threat to an employer/customer relationship? Had to say no, you can’t ship that garbage to a customer in this industry? Fixed the fiascos caused by shipping it anyway?

No offense Kent but you’ve got no time in this particular left seat. There’s a reason I was in charge of a number of product launches from the Support side of things and was tapped on the shoulder to rescue a number of accounts from bad design and coding decisions with a direct line to the dev team back home and authority to task them to change anything I wanted changed.

(At least I avoided saying what my boss said in a Change Control Board meeting one day that had me falling out of my chair laughing... “That’s not a solution! That’s a f***ing kludge!” ... to the Engineering VP’s face. Let’s just say that parallel ports and Ethernet were involved. Together. Super super ugly. Engineering slapped it out to meet a deadline. Pretty funny. Not funny was it shipped that way anyway and cost us a solidly documented $100,000 a year in support costs and multiple future sales deals done at cost with no profit or support carve out for almost a decade afterward to get customers off of that junk design.)

Apple makes up for a lot of really dumb design decisions by covering it with hype and marketing. That’s just always been their MO. It’s not said as necessarily negative. It is just their “way”.

And no. The poor front line employee isn’t at fault for communicating poorly. Their official line on the battery thing on their website echos his words. You have to open a ticket on the problem to be allowed to see it. It’s in the official troubleshooting responses from the online help system. That’s where I read it.

That’s another MO of Apple but that’s really a common one industry wide... hiding the real problems inside the ticket systems and help software from the general public. Essentially damage control built in, and very common in the industry. Pretend all is well on the outside while the support staff knows the world is on fire. Every company knows where their most calls and problems logged are in their support metric systems.

Hiding the problems and the ticket systems gives them more time than they really should get in an open market to babble about it multiple times in internal meetings until someone decides to go fix it.

I’m much more comfortable with companies who’s bug trackers are public. They have better motivation built in to respond rapidly to real problems.

And no. My current company doesn’t do it and it’s a shame. It’s not common in the industry because engineering departments often run the show over customer focused departments. But it’s still better than working for organizations where Sales drives the design bus. Neither my place nor Apple are that company, thank god.

Want to live a nightmare, take a support engineering role in a Sales driven design company. BTDT. Literally an impossible situation unless you’re ready to literally go to war with the culture with real cost numbers and beat cost analysis into their heads.

We have a minor situation like that right now at work. Poor sales guy didn’t mean to step in it, but he is all excited about a sale he might get that’s about $1M in revenue. One of the possible requirements of the sale could cost $2M to audit.

I got to be the “bad guy” who pointed out the flaw in the plan politely to his bosses. Made sure to say it wasn’t his fault, he didn’t know. Bosses are still mulling over the ramifications since there’s a possibility of another $6M in revenue that the first sale could unlock at other customers. Problem is, to do it right it’ll take hiring at least two more people just in overhead roles and an outside consultant.

As us Germans say... Veee shall seeeee! If they’re willing to put a lot of capital on the table with no guarantee of the sale, they might hit the requirement in a year.

^^This crap is why they pay me pretty well, and why I can’t afford to go fly airplanes full time. LOL. It kinda sucks in a way. I’ve been toying around with numbers to go full time as a CFI and every spreadsheet says “Ewwww...” Aviation is a great way to go broke slowly unless you’re moving on up and away from the slave wages at the little airports. Just the way it is.

Just like “pretend it’s the customer’s fault” is the way it is at Apple. No big deal.

FF10 crashes when I try to switch aircraft profiles, anyone else seeing that?

FF10 crashes when I try to switch aircraft profiles, anyone else seeing that?

Not I...

I would suggest you send a message to team at foreflight dot com and let them know. Be sure to include what device you're using, what version of iOS, and what version of ForeFlight.

Tried FF 10.1, no joy. Tried reinstalling the app, no joy. Went to iOS 11, bug went away. Bug report submitted.

Tried FF 10.1, no joy. Tried reinstalling the app, no joy. Went to iOS 11, bug went away. Bug report submitted.

Interesting. I'm still on iOS 10.3.3 on my iPad Mini and can't reproduce it. Thanks for submitting the report, though, I'm sure they've asked you for any details they need.

I turned in “Feedback” this week asking whether the destination airport disappearing from the flight plan when using a GTN’s new “Visual” approaches is a Garmin bug or a ForeFlight bug. Haven’t heard anything back yet.

Instantly removes the magenta and extended runway center lines and keeps the taxi diagram from appearing at landing.

If you use that “Visual” button on the GTN you don’t want to hit “accept flight plan” from the panel after that. Just leave ForeFlight in the last flight plan that had an airport at the end of it. “Visual” on the GTN will wipe it for some reason.

Well, I personally verified that it's a Garmin bug. Same damn thing happens on Garmin Pilot. :rofl:

It has to do with the flight plan message being sent by the GTN - It adds waypoints called "V3NM" and "RW##" where ## is the runway number. But, those aren't in the database, so the iPad tosses 'em... And as has been mentioned, the flight plan removes the destination airport for some reason as well.

I guess the "don't accept changes from the panel after activating a visual approach" is the workaround for now, but that kinda sucks. I'm sure they're both working on ways around this... I hope.

Well, I personally verified that it's a Garmin bug. Same damn thing happens on Garmin Pilot. :rofl:

It has to do with the flight plan message being sent by the GTN - It adds waypoints called "V3NM" and "RW##" where ## is the runway number. But, those aren't in the database, so the iPad tosses 'em... And as has been mentioned, the flight plan removes the destination airport for some reason as well.

I guess the "don't accept changes from the panel after activating a visual approach" is the workaround for now, but that kinda sucks. I'm sure they're both working on ways around this... I hope.

Yeah, the Visual thing has problems across the board. No argument there. It’s whacked when stacked up with a Flightstream.

Yeah, the Visual thing has problems across the board. No argument there. It’s whacked when stacked up with a Flightstream.

I actually looked at the messages that the FlightStream sends out on the flight plan change, and it's not sending the destination airport or even the visual approach. What it does is the "active leg" message has the RW## and V3NM fixes, but also includes the lat/longs for those fixes at the specific runway to which the approach is activated. What's odd to me is that at other times, the "active leg" message can have a lot of garbage in it, such as fixes that have previously been deleted from the flight plan by the user.

It would seem that maybe if you got a flight plan message that is exactly the same as the prior one except with the destination airport removed *and* the active leg message has the V3NM fix, maybe you could ignore the flight plan part and insert the other two fixes in prior to the airport in the prior flight plan. On the other hand, interpreting the Flight Plan message in any other way than literally as the flight plan could have some severe unintended consequences too. Hopefully, Garmin will simply update their software to send the flight plan with the destination intact.

In any case, it seems that if it were a quick and easy fix, Garmin would have at least gotten it working in Pilot.

Back