"I Just looked at"

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
There is a plane I'm interested in that will take considerable travel, time and funds to go and look at, and I really wish I could find a post from an aviator or two who's already looked at it.

So I'd like to propose a new forum, perhaps a sub-forum of Classifieds, for members to post their findings and observations on airplanes they have looked at that are For Sale.

This is a sellers market and I'm finding buyers reluctant to put a lot of effort into facilitating the sale. They post minimal blurry pictures, no access to log books other than "Call my A&P", vague, incomplete responses to questions on the phone or through email, and an unwillingness to temporarily halt the sales effort while a prospect buys non refundable airline tickets and travels by rental car 100 miles to the sight to look at the plane. If a deposit was placed to take the plane off the market and the plane wasn't what was expected, the deposit may or may not be refundable, depending on what type of agreement was made.

I know, I know, just don't do business with people unwilling to provide some level of courtesy to their prospective customer. Caveat emptor and all that. But I think the internet has proven its worth as a way to facilitate mass communications, and an aviation forum would be perfect for a post like this:

Looked at N12345, a 1937 Cessna 112Q last weekend in Backwater, NM and found the following:

- Stabilator appeared overly stiff when moving it leading edge down. The stabilator's leading edge didn't align with the index hole (on the fuselage) with the trim tab at neutral. There was also also some drag on the yoke shaft. I couldn't find the source of the friction. There did appear to be a lack of lubrication on the yoke shaft and in other places during the overall look. It is possible the stabilator bearings have been overtightened to remove play, and if that is the case, a bearing change would be in the near future at considerable cost. As it is, the pitch axis is in need of a rigging to bring the stabilator travel to specifications and to center it when the trim wheel is centered.

- The aircraft smelled of 5606 hydraulic fluid a LOT, like some was soaked into the carpet or sitting in the belly of the airplane.

- Fuel Selector Valve is stiff and it was very difficult or impossible to find detent for some or all of the four positions. Overhauling this valve isn't cheap and is labor intensive.

Etc., etc....

Some may say this is unfair to the seller but I strongly disagree. Anything that's posted is subject to libel, same as reviews anywhere online or elsewhere, and that would be a great incentive to only post truthfully. I do think it would be an excellent way for us to make airplane buying and selling a whole lot easier for both sides of the transaction.

Thoughts?

Why don't you just ask someone on the board who's nearby to go have a look? I did this for a POA member and he wound up with a nice aircraft.

Sounds like a bad idea/unfair/opens up a lot of liability. This is the internet, I just can't see that working.

Asking someone on here to have a look and then having a private conversation is a much better idea.

That's a great idea Steingar. Perhaps we can solicit a "Request to Look at" into this same forum, and of course their findings would become part of the forum record.

That's a great idea Steingar. Perhaps we can solicit a "Request to Look at" into this same forum, and of course their findings would become part of the forum record.
If you just put up a thread someone will probably respond to it, or tell you who's in the area.

For the moment, just use the appropriate forum and put
[Request to Look At]​
in the title of the thread, brackets an all.

Yea I don't think allowing just anybody post comments on someone else's item for sale. They may or may not have any knowledge of what they are talking about, or they are trying to taint any interest in hopes of getting a better deal them self. If you want someone to look at a plane, just post in general discussion.

Sounds like a bad idea/unfair/opens up a lot of liability. This is the internet, I just can't see that working.

Asking someone on here to have a look and then having a private conversation is a much better idea.

Possibly, but this is driven by some sellers treating the transaction as purely business, with "fair" or any sort of aviation comradery backed completely out of the equation. I have no problem with that, but it then becomes a product no different than one on Amazon, and subject to the same types of public review. I would not personally fear a libel lawsuit if I posted my truthful observations. That in and of itself could make such a forum invaluable to both seller and buyer.

Since I’m not a broker,not sure how wiling I’d be to have the responsibility to look at an aircraft ,for a buyer I didn’t know.

Better than this, just sign a good agreement to start with if that plane is your #1 prospect. If you can’t come to agreement at the outset, then you know what you’re in for with the unreasonable seller. If it looks good enough to possibly waste airfare and time on, then negotiate and sign a contract with the buyer with appropriate/legit/fair escape clauses, put a deposit down through an escrow agent, then go look. If you travel on your dime and don’t have an agreement, you have no negotiating power; If you do have an agreement with a deposit, burned airfare, the seller knows you are serious and can walk; He has more to lose now than you do. If you’re working through a broker and this advice doesn’t work, well then...

@JohnAJohnson ... thought of this... Before posting the request to have one of us lay eyeballs on the aircraft, make sure the seller
  1. is okay with this 3rd party looking at the aircraft and logs
  2. will make the aircraft and logs available when an agreed upon appointment is made
  3. is okay with the 3rd party taking photos and poking/prodding (with reason) various bits of the aircraft.

What you'll get:

Just looked at N123AB. It had wings and a tail, and pretty paint. Panel is crap (no glass) or Panel is awesome (lots of glass)

ymmv

Of course, there's actually a plane out there with N123AB. Should haven known better.

There is a plane I'm interested in that will take considerable travel, time and funds to go and look at, and I really wish I could find a post from an aviator or two who's already looked at it.

So I'd like to propose a new forum, perhaps a sub-forum of Classifieds, for members to post their findings and observations on airplanes they have looked at that are For Sale.

This is a sellers market and I'm finding buyers reluctant to put a lot of effort into facilitating the sale. They post minimal blurry pictures, no access to log books other than "Call my A&P", vague, incomplete responses to questions on the phone or through email, and an unwillingness to temporarily halt the sales effort while a prospect buys non refundable airline tickets and travels by rental car 100 miles to the sight to look at the plane. If a deposit was placed to take the plane off the market and the plane wasn't what was expected, the deposit may or may not be refundable, depending on what type of agreement was made.

I know, I know, just don't do business with people unwilling to provide some level of courtesy to their prospective customer. Caveat emptor and all that. But I think the internet has proven its worth as a way to facilitate mass communications, and an aviation forum would be perfect for a post like this:

Looked at N12345, a 1937 Cessna 112Q last weekend in Backwater, NM and found the following:

- Stabilator appeared overly stiff when moving it leading edge down. The stabilator's leading edge didn't align with the index hole (on the fuselage) with the trim tab at neutral. There was also also some drag on the yoke shaft. I couldn't find the source of the friction. There did appear to be a lack of lubrication on the yoke shaft and in other places during the overall look. It is possible the stabilator bearings have been overtightened to remove play, and if that is the case, a bearing change would be in the near future at considerable cost. As it is, the pitch axis is in need of a rigging to bring the stabilator travel to specifications and to center it when the trim wheel is centered.

- The aircraft smelled of 5606 hydraulic fluid a LOT, like some was soaked into the carpet or sitting in the belly of the airplane.

- Fuel Selector Valve is stiff and it was very difficult or impossible to find detent for some or all of the four positions. Overhauling this valve isn't cheap and is labor intensive.

Etc., etc....

Some may say this is unfair to the seller but I strongly disagree. Anything that's posted is subject to libel, same as reviews anywhere online or elsewhere, and that would be a great incentive to only post truthfully. I do think it would be an excellent way for us to make airplane buying and selling a whole lot easier for both sides of the transaction.

Thoughts?
Where is it?

Worked out for a pilot on here. I took an hour out of my day, snapped some pictures, looked it over and gave my thought. He is a happy owner.

I agree with all the postings about the importance of a contract with "Out" clauses. What I don't understand is why, in the age of the internet and forums like this one, it is quite possible (and apparently acceptable) for many people to spend thousands each on transportation, pre-buy inspections, title searches, CDs from the FAA, etc., on the same plane. It seems to be an obsolete way of purchasing a product, adding to the overall aviation cost. More importantly, it is a barrier to entry and something that should concern our dwindling community.

I do believe getting the word out would drive quality up and prices down. The only sellers that should fear postings about their product are ones more comfortable working in the shadows, Gru.Mans comment about "trying to taint any interest in hopes of getting a better deal them self", notwithstanding.

What you'll get:

Just looked at N123AB. It had wings and a tail, and pretty paint. Panel is crap (no glass) or Panel is awesome (lots of glass)

ymmv

Or... I just looked at 123AB. It really is a good deal. I mean it really was a good deal, and it looks really good in my hangar. Thanks for bringing it to my attention....:lol::lol:

It'll take a lot more time and funds to fix it if you don't go look at it yourself, is my thought on such things...

If the cost to go see it eats up the difference in purchase price on buying one closer and easier to go look at, there's your answer as to whether it's worth doing it...

I like looking at car ads from halfway across the country, but when you see a "steal" over 500 miles away, you think long and hard about flying out to look at it, because all the benefits of buying it that far away, get eaten up by the costs to go look at it and negotiate the deal.

Unless it's a rare airplane in some way other than just price, I'd pass on it.

I have the airplane for sale that you should buy.

(snark, snark, snark)

I have the airplane for sale that you should buy.

(snark, snark, snark)

Any nibbles yet? Have you only advertised here, or elsewhere?

Also... I doubt this is your style, but I could put you in touch with a local broker who does seem to get stuff done... my co-owners originally bought the 182 through him, and he's not big on advertising or anything since it's a side-business for him, but we've seen a lot of nifty airplanes go through his inventory over the years... I think he has a "day job" but seems to enjoy brokering on the side. He does have a small website and "inventory" seems to move. I have no idea what he charges owners.

The story we've heard about our 182 is the former owner was an old Marine, very anal about his airplane, and kept sinking deals by showing up and listing off every single thing that was wrong with the aircraft and prices to fix everything down to the penny, until the broker told him to stay far away or he wouldn't sell the aircraft for him. His personality scared off a few buyers. LOL... that's the story anyway.

Broker got the plane sold just fine when he stopped showing up. Which is how we ended up with it.

Any nibbles yet? Have you only advertised here, or elsewhere?

Also... I doubt this is your style, but I could put you in touch with a local broker who does seem to get stuff done... my co-owners originally bought the 182 through him, and he's not big on advertising or anything since it's a side-business for him, but we've seen a lot of nifty airplanes go through his inventory over the years... I think he has a "day job" but seems to enjoy brokering on the side. He does have a small website and "inventory" seems to move. I have no idea what he charges owners.

The story we've heard about our 182 is the former owner was an old Marine, very anal about his airplane, and kept sinking deals by showing up and listing off every single thing that was wrong with the aircraft and prices to fix everything down to the penny, until the broker told him to stay far away or he wouldn't sell the aircraft for him. His personality scared off a few buyers. LOL... that's the story anyway.

Broker got the plane sold just fine when he stopped showing up. Which is how we ended up with it.
Some nibbles. None from POA. I may have a deal in the works but other obligations have put things on hold for a week. It's a unique plane so not expecting a lot of interest, just interest from one buyer who knows what they want and recognizes the opportunity.

one buyer who knows what they want and recognizes the opportunity
That also describes me.... but I'm not yet ready for sole ownership.... working toward that.... but will be a while....

Looks like N123AB was on a 1994 Bo, and now a Bombardier.

@Lachlan just did this. Maybe he can weigh in.

I’ve got someone local to the airplane I’m looking at, who owns the same exact year/model, who is in a type specific club and is going to look it over for me. Join or find an online forum specific to the type you’re looking at and make friends. ;)

Thanks Lachlan, that's the plan. Without the type club or someone familiar with the breed, one man's treasure is another man's trash. This is what I am seeing with some buyers who really believe their aircraft are in excellent condition, simply because their A&P IA tells them it is every year.

I’ve got someone local to the airplane I’m looking at, who owns the same exact year/model, who is in a type specific club and is going to look it over for me. Join or find an online forum specific to the type you’re looking at and make friends. ;)

It'll take a lot more time and funds to fix it if you don't go look at it yourself, is my thought on such things...

If the cost to go see it eats up the difference in purchase price on buying one closer and easier to go look at, there's your answer as to whether it's worth doing it...

I like looking at car ads from halfway across the country, but when you see a "steal" over 500 miles away, you think long and hard about flying out to look at it, because all the benefits of buying it that far away, get eaten up by the costs to go look at it and negotiate the deal.

Unless it's a rare airplane in some way other than just price, I'd pass on it.
And the seller, knowing how much you've invested, isn't under pressure to "deal."

Etc., etc....
You'd have to have to be very naive or foolish to post something like that on the Internet about someone else's plane for sale.

If the plane and the price aren't worth dealing with the seller's ****, don't. I've only looked at a few planes, but I bought one from a very accommodating seller. Everyone was happy with the deal and the price. I missed out on another one because someone came in and offered less than I would have been willing to pay while I was busy arranging to have someone visit it. If it's a plane and a deal you have to have, make a deal, put down and deposit, leave yourself an out. If it doesn't work out, you should be willing to walk away from the deposit and your inspection costs. If that's not worth it, then it wasn't a good enough deal. Or stick to local planes and don't worry about getting the deal of a lifetime. It sort of is what it is.

@JohnAJohnson ... thought of this... Before posting the request to have one of us lay eyeballs on the aircraft, make sure the seller
  1. is okay with this 3rd party looking at the aircraft and logs
  2. will make the aircraft and logs available when an agreed upon appointment is made
  3. is okay with the 3rd party taking photos and poking/prodding (with reason) various bits of the aircraft.
Exactly why would the seller need to know I'm looking as a 3rd party? Does he want to sell the airplane or not?

I used to be involved with a similar method used to buy properties...I'd be a shadow negotiator/buyer for a large corporation that didn't want the seller to know it was them buying because the seller'd see big $$$ and be far less likely to bargain. So I'd negotiate the purchase price and then there'd be a simultaneous closing. i.e. I'd buy and sell it at the same time.

Pretty much the same difference.

You'd have to have to be very naive or foolish to post something like that on the Internet about someone else's plane for sale

I proposed it. Good to know we have someone on the forum who can point out fools or the naive. In the future, I'll run my posts by you before posting to avoid embarrassment. Thanks!

If it's a plane and a deal you have to have, make a deal, put down and deposit, leave yourself an out. If it doesn't work out, you should be willing to walk away from the deposit and your inspection costs.

For normal deposit amounts (less than $1k usually), the "out" doesn't work if the seller doesn't want to refund the deposit. Most won't bother with legal action for such an amount.

Possibly, but this is driven by some sellers treating the transaction as purely business, with "fair" or any sort of aviation comradery backed completely out of the equation. I have no problem with that, but it then becomes a product no different than one on Amazon, and subject to the same types of public review. I would not personally fear a libel lawsuit if I posted my truthful observations. That in and of itself could make such a forum invaluable to both seller and buyer.

Some "sellers" don't actually want to sell. And they show that with their customer service. I've never had a purchase of anything where the person returned my calls promptly, answered all my questions in reasonable time, followed up at the dates/times promised and ended with "I've decided not to sell." Deviation from any one of those behaviors should make you go "hmmm."

Does he want to sell the airplane or not?

25APR2018 - Ravioli and timwinters thought alike. ;)

Back