F-16 crash/bailout (success) Lk Havasu 4/24/2018

Was he on 122.7? Not sure if they have VHF.

Diverted there? Must of had an issue. Glad he made it out.

Good to see ,the pilot had a successful ejection.

He ejected in the ground??? Must have seriously "departed the prepared surface"!!

He ejected in the ground??? Must have seriously "departed the prepared surface"!!

Many of the instructors I work with brief 50 kts as the speed difference between sticking with it or punching out if leaving the runway. Think a 25,000lbs jet at 65+ mph on tricycle gear is likely to sink into the softer ground, then cartwheel. An F-16 probably touches down at over 140kts...that’s a lot of energy to bleed. I’d rather ride the silk than take my chances with possibly cartwheeling off the side of the runway in a beer can.

Many of the instructors I work with brief 50 kts as the speed difference between sticking with it or punching out if leaving the runway. Think a 25,000lbs jet at 65+ mph on tricycle gear is likely to sink into the softer ground, then cartwheel. An F-16 probably touches down at over 140kts...that’s a lot of energy to bleed. I’d rather ride the silk than take my chances with possibly cartwheeling off the side of the runway in a beer can.

I would have been very willing to pull the handle in that scenario when I was flying the viper. I'm sure there is probably a reasonable speed which I wouldn't have, but anything that is much above taxi speed would have been pretty risky. In fact, the closest I have ever been to ejecting was during an early Viper flight when I tried to use Hornet crosswind landing technique in a 25-30 knot direct crosswind landing.

Back