Cinco de Mayo

Want a good explanation of Cinco De Mayo? Ask a Mexican citizen. They'll be like "May 5th?"

OR you can ask a 'Merican They'll say"Mexican independence day." Probably meaning independence from sobriety.

I’ll have a burreto each day, just to be safe. It calls for extra peppers on the 5th though.

Dang and I’ve been celebrating my birthday on the 5th all these years. Who knew?

May (1) Day is the Commie holiday. Except they shouldn't call it a "holiday" since God does not exist in a Communist country.

May (1) Day is the Commie holiday. Except they shouldn't call it a "holiday" since God does not exist in a Communist country.

May 1st was a traditionally holiday across Christian Europe for centuries, since at least the middle Medieval period (~AD1000, or a little before). That kind of predates communism, Lenin, Marx, the whole gang. Look up "May Day" sometime.

May 1st was a traditionally holiday across Christian Europe for centuries, since at least the middle Medieval period (~AD1000, or a little before). That kind of predates communism, Lenin, Marx, the whole gang. Look up "May Day" sometime.
Christmas used to be the pagan "Winter Solstice" celebration.

^^^ independence from ______. [Hint: Not the Mayans, Toltecs, or Aztecs]

More important is May 4. "Star Wars Day". May the 4th...

And, yes, our daughter delayed our return from Disneyland to the 5th so we could be there on the 4th. :p

A little known fact is that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York.

The ship hit an iceberg and sank and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5 and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

The "holiday" Cinco De Mayo was invented by a beer company...and we have been celebrating ever since.

The "holiday" Cinco De Mayo was invented by a beer company...and we have been celebrating ever since.

But so many of us drink tequila to celebrate Cinco, because it washes down the burritos and enchiladas so nicely!

It’s my glider club’s anniversary, see you at the BBQ after a day of soaring.

It’s my glider club’s anniversary, see you at the BBQ after a day of soaring.
Would love to, but I have to put on a monkey suit and go to commencement.
Lining up.
Waiting.
Waiting.
Marching in.
Folding Chairs.
Speeches.
Sitting.
More speeches.
Sitting.
Hours.
People walking across the stage.
Butt is beyond numb.
Hundreds of people.
Sitting.
Finally - Marching out.
And, somehow, I always end up right in front of management, so I have to look like I am paying attention.

Back