Saving the LSA/SPL

All it takes is training on procedures (radio, ground, etc) and an endorsement. And of course you'll want an airplane with a radio and transponder. If you don't get a medical certificate, you will NOT be able to complete your training in a non-LSA, because you won't be able to solo without one.

Well if I own an LSA, could I complete the training by soloing in it? I’m concerned about finding a CFI who is small enough to fit in an LSA with me. I’m thinking of Piper Cub LSA.

Well if I own an LSA, could I complete the training by soloing in it? I’m concerned about finding a CFI who is small enough to fit in an LSA with me. I’m thinking of Piper Cub LSA.
Sure. People have been completing their pilot training in Cubs, Champs, Chiefs, and other LSA qualified aircraft for many, many years. Find an RV-12. I can legally fly 500# of pilot and passenger with the tank half full.

I have a co-owner. He's a student pilot, and bought half of the plane so he could finish his training. There were no airplanes available anywhere near here that he could legally fly solo. Neither of the available Champs are insured for solo student pilots, and those are the only LSAs available for any sort of rental anywhere near here. He'd racked up way too many hours and never flown solo. He's had no problem finding instructors to give him instruction in the RV-12. As a bonus, the cost is $30 per hour wet. But, it's tough to get a Sport Pilot certificate around here if you don't own your own plane.

Thanks!

I’m in Southeast Florida so I’ll keep my eyes and ears open!

SnF Announcement from Tecnam:

"LAKELAND, FL – Tecnam, one of Europe’s leading manufacturers of general aviation aircraft and International Aero Academy, Ltd. (“IAA”) today announced they have completed an aircraft purchase agreement for an initial six (6) P2008 aircraft with the first delivery scheduled in the 2nd quarter of 2018."

Here's a link to the press release: https://www.tecnam.com/us/slider-ho...-academy-announce-aircraft-fleet-acquisition/

You might have trouble getting a CFI to endorse you to solo in a different plane than s/he’s taught you in. Which makes me think you might want to look for a female CFI to “under compensate” for you.

My wife isn’t tha crazy about my starting flight training. I’m sure she would be thrilled with a cute, 5’ tall female instructor

My wife isn’t tha crazy about my starting flight training. I’m sure she would be thrilled with a cute, 5’ tall female instructor
Actually, I took one lesson in a Skycatcher with just such a female pilot. I saw her before we took off, and after we landed. During the flight, she was merely a voice in the headset.

Actually, I took one lesson in a Skycatcher with just such a female pilot. I saw her before we took off, and after we landed. During the flight, she was merely a voice in the headset.
Didn't she de-brief you?

I’m interested in this subject. Starting the medical certificate process, but know enough to not submit for a 3rd Class and get rejected. If Dr. Bruce thinks I have an issue that will cause the FAA to deny, then I can go for the LSA. I live in a fairly congested airspace so I’m interested in the process to operate LSA in Class B airspace. I’ll buy a LSA for my use, but not for training purposes. I believe I can do my training in a non LSA aircraft. Has anyone gone through the process for certification to operate LSA in Class B?

Once you have your certificate, it’s just a logbook endorsement to fly into B, C, or D. I did mine, just took a couple of flights with a CFI and a few full stop landings.

Back