[pirep]Sac's first ever liquor review - Jeremiah Weed[/pirep]

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Where do I start here. This thread has been in the making for... well, it has been November 21, 2015 when @denverpilot handed off the bottle of Jeremiah Weed to @Sam D in Vegas as a result of the Great Monkey Race relay. The basic background thread is here. There are other threads.

Let's talk about Jeremiah Weed 100 proof. Jeremiah Weed 100 proof is not the whiskey from Colorado I initially thought it was. It is a liqueur from Connecticut. I think it's Connecticut. Or maybe it's New Hampshire. No, it's Norwalk, Connecticut. It is reputed to be a gentle aperitif savored by American fighter pilots. Why American fighter pilots would drink a gentle apertif is beyond my comprehension. That said, I was Army Infantry and we drank Yukon Jack when we played poker in the barracks. So, I guess they get a pass.

So we all saw the thread when Sam D. handed off the Jeremiah Weed to me at McClellan Field. For those familiarity challenged it looked something like this:
s_a.jpg
Well, I managed to make it home, and the Jeremiah Weed looked something like this:
IMG_3918.JPG
So, where do we go from here. I had alluded to, in a previous comment that since Jeremiah Weed was a 'liqueur' I would have to approach reviewing it differently than I would if it had been a straight whiskey. You see, Jeremiah Weed is not something to be consumed in quantity, and it is not a beginning... it is a destination. In other words, you need to be a little hammered before you try this stuff. I have to tell you, I started really early in the morning to work up to this review, and I will be honest with you... getting there has been painfully boring as hell.

IMG_3916.JPG
But, you know what, I slogged through it. Sunday. A day when there is like nothing going on except church and preparation for hell on Monday but I guess church is supposed to prepare you for hell plus television sucks unless they televise Nascar. Anyway, the prep work has been complete, I still seem to be here, and now for the review...
IMG_3919.JPG
Yeah, this is what we have been waiting for. In the true spirit of Air Force fighter pilotry, (is that a new word? Yes I think it is, thank you) I poured a shot, and gave them a firm salute. Although a P38 never would have rendered me comfort on the battlefield, the sound of an A10 was always reassuring. And the sound of that gun... damn.

The taste is hard to describe. There is a hint of apple. There is a hint of burning grass. There is the hint of cinnamon. All these flavors come together in one incredible shift in paradigms. It was like deja vu. There was only one other time in my life I've ever had this taste before. It was the taste of...

Syrup of Ipecac.

Yeah. Um, the only real functional difference here is that currently all my cookies are still in the bag. That may quite well change as we get in to it. I don't know... I have mixed feelings about this drink. "Put it in the freezer first." Yeah. "Do one shot at a time." No kidding. "Preferably with one of your pilot friends." Um, no, I would still like to remain friends with them.

Hey look, if you are Catholic, this is redemption. It is a sacrifice. You can drink it on Lent. That makes it a win-win situation in your case.

In any case, thank you @denverpilot for the bottle. And thanks to @Sam D for making a horrendously long and perilous journey from 069 to KMCC to deliver it.

Yeah but, since the bottle fits so nice in the bike, you oughta empty the noxious liquor and fill it with iced tea or a little colored water and revel in the judgmental looks from passers by as you take a big swig to quench your thirst.

I can personally attest that it is the drink of choice of USAF Fighter Pilots, at least for special occasions.

One of my more memorable experiences with Jeremiah was at one of the annual Aspenosium Events in Steamboat Springs. The clan of fighter pilots from Korea, Vietnam, Gulf and other conflicts met on the mountain and toasted Robin Olds, one of the greatest fighter pilots of all time, who had recently passed away. Large quantities were consumed.

No one was injured skiing off the mountain.

It is an acquired taste.

I prefer single malt for normal consumption.

Cheers

Here! Here!

(I’d rap my spoon if I had one:cool:)

And, Cheers

Hollywood should make a movie about General Olds. Married to an actress, played football at West Point (might've been All American), flew in WW2 and was an ace, and VN where he had four kills, although many think he had five but didn't report it as he knew they'd send him home. And, a great and popular leader who led by example.

Yeah but, since the bottle fits so nice in the bike, you oughta empty the noxious liquor and fill it with iced tea or a little colored water and revel in the judgmental looks from passers by as you take a big swig to quench your thirst.

They would probably have the same reaction that I have when that Russian guy at the gym drinks water out of a corked wine bottle. "What a poser." I do sometimes carry my fast food soft drink cup (with tea, not soda) in my bottle cage, and that gets plenty of WTF stares.

Wait. Should we call you Mcc Arrow now? McCarrow?

Hollywood should make a movie about General Olds. Married to an actress, played football at West Point (might've been All American), flew in WW2 and was an ace, and VN where he had four kills, although many think he had five but didn't report it as he knew they'd send him home. And, a great and popular leader who led by example.

He was an All-American at The Point. I met him a few times in Steamboat over the years. I read the Book, “Fighter Pilot” which his daughter wrote from his collection of notes. Great read. Always wondered why he didn’t serve in Korea. Basically he definitely wanted to go to Fly and Fight but his wife used her connections to keep him stateside even though he kept agitating to go.

Cheers

Better or worse than Malort?

I think it's better than Malort, but that's not saying much! :D

I used to be in a SWA crashpad, and there’d be a bottle or two of Weed in the freezer at any given time. Like EvilEagle says, cold is the only way to drink it!

I think you're all f***** in the head. Jeremiah Weed sucks and ALL of you know it. ;) Even the USAF fighter pilots, and I know a lot of em, think it sucks but they must drink it out of tradition. If you ever get a chance to go to a function in which they drink this stuff, watch who (has to) drink it. Its the younger Lts because they will do anything just to fit in; the older captains and majors just watch. Lt. Col and above drink the good stuff.

B1B0B6D0-4CB5-4A9C-AC1A-AC47F437291E.jpeg Looks a little strong for me. I bought some of this beer made by Founder Brewery. It was kinda spendy, higher octane too, never had it before. I’ll work up to trying it before long.

I can personally attest that it is the drink of choice of USAF Fighter Pilots, at least for special occasions.

One of my more memorable experiences with Jeremiah was at one of the annual Aspenosium Events in Steamboat Springs. The clan of fighter pilots from Korea, Vietnam, Gulf and other conflicts met on the mountain and toasted Robin Olds, one of the greatest fighter pilots of all time, who had recently passed away. Large quantities were consumed.

I recently enjoyed reading his memoir/biography, written by Ed Rasimus. Its worth a read, Ed was a great writer and Robin had an incredible story.

I just noticed something... check out my original post, picture #1... look at the bottle and the plant in the background. Completely unintentional; we just grabbed some random Japanese charter pilot to take a picture and that is how it happened. Jeremiah Weed got the 'Weed.'

I just noticed something... check out my original post, picture #1... look at the bottle and the plant in the background. Completely unintentional; we just grabbed some random Japanese charter pilot to take a picture and that is how it happened. Jeremiah Weed got the 'Weed.'
I saw it and thought it was intentional. :cool:

I think you're all f***** in the head. Jeremiah Weed sucks and ALL of you know it. ;) Even the USAF fighter pilots, and I know a lot of em, think it sucks but they must drink it out of tradition. If you ever get a chance to go to a function in which they drink this stuff, watch who (has to) drink it. Its the younger Lts because they will do anything just to fit in; the older captains and majors just watch. Lt. Col and above drink the good stuff.
You're going to the wrong squadrons then...

I'm a Lt Col and I drink the good stuff.... AND I partake of the weed!

You're going to the wrong squadrons then...

I'm a Lt Col and I drink the good stuff.... AND I partake of the weed!

Bet you don't partake much of the weed and I'll also bet that when you do, you make sure someone see's you doing it. ;)

Dude, I've seen a picture of you next to your F15.. you look way too young to be an LTC.
Thanks I think... Most people say I look older than I am.

I pinned on at the ripe old age of 38 - am 40.5 now. I'll retire from the USAF just before my 43rd b-day. :D

Bet you speak of things you do not know...

24 years in the regular Air Force, 12 more and counting as a GS-11-2152. Most of my drinking buddies are now Lt Cols (no Eagle drivers, mostly A-10, F35 and a couple that went back to teaching in the white jets) with at least two moving on to become Generals and one in the US Congress. I know more than you think. ;)

Back