Alternative to Wombat

wrbix

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot Lite
Bad Elf recently finally released their Wombat device - essentially a box that via WiFi can download Jepp nav data via Jepp’s new iOS app from your cellphone then with attaching a Skybound to the Wombat USB port get the data to your Garmin data card.
IMHO, $250 seems pricey for this convenience, and am looking for an alternative to carrying my data cards home to load on Windows computer.
Could a cheap tablet PC running Windows and talking to an iPhone WiFi hot spot do the same thing as long as said tablet PC has an USB port for the Skybound?

My solution was to get a second set of data cards and just swap out old for new when I happened to go to the plane.

My solution was to get a second set of data cards and just swap out old for new when I happened to go to the plane.
Yeah, that’s been a consideration; but used 430 and 530W cards seem scarce on eBay- and aren’t new ones like 0.20 AMUs?

Yeah, that’s been a consideration; but used 430 and 530W cards seem scarce on eBay- and aren’t new ones like 0.20 AMUs?
I haven't priced them in some time - years - but that sounds right. If you do decide to go that route, be aware the cards are different between the W and non-W units (you probably know this I imagine). The W cards are 16gb vs 4gb I think for the non-W cards.
Sorry I cannot offer any insight into wombats and such.

I have this thing called a laptop and I bring it with me
I haven't priced them in some time - years - but that sounds right. If you do decide to go that route, be aware the cards are different between the W and non-W units (you probably know this I imagine). The W cards are 16gb vs 4gb I think for the non-W cards.
Sorry I cannot offer any insight into wombats and such.

You might be thinking megabytes?

Its been awhile since I've updated one but I just drag my laptop to the hangar and use skybound... I think the file sizes for the 430W east coast are around 4.5mb

You might be thinking megabytes?

Its been awhile since I've updated one but I just drag my laptop to the hangar and use skybound... I think the file sizes for the 430W east coast are around 4.5mb
Probably so.

Back