KBJC area (?) airplane hater

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
I got this email (via info/contact) to our flying club this morning.
————-
Harassment
Fly over my house again and I will file harassment charges on you.
Jeff C______
720660xxxx
————-

And our google voice number transcribed this message:

“Jeff here. Henry, I got you guys flying over my f………. house again. Don’t do it”

What do you think? Subscribe him to Flying, Air Power, Air and Space magazines with the bill me option?

Anyone else local heard similar from this character?

I know Boulder has 2 or 3 frequent caller noise complainers ... like daily.

Greg

He won’t have a leg to stand on. Ignore.

On another web board I follow, if you posted the guy's phone number he would be the recipient of non-stop phone calls and potentially worse harassment.

Personally, I'd consider making airplane noise for him to complain about. Know anyone with a 185 or something similar with small tail numbers that could make routine flights?

Better to try to engage constructively. If the home is on the flight path(s) he needs to understand how those work. If not, maybe there's a way to route to avoid him and the inevitable conflicts.

At our airport as training activity has been increasing recently we've had some complaints about overflying homes during forced approach practice. Was not hard to take steps to address that in a reasonable way.

On another web board I follow, if you posted the guy's phone number he would be the recipient of non-stop phone calls and potentially worse harassment.

Personally, I'd consider making airplane noise for him to complain about. Know anyone with a 185 or something similar with small tail numbers that could make routine flights?
With a huge seaplane prop

Restraining / Cease & desist order? Someone with that kind of determination needs a roadblock.

First, determine how long he's lived in the area. If a long time occupant, he's got a problem. Otherwise, hismreal estate agent was not forthcoming about the airport.

Next, as the calls and emails get more beligerent, contact the local cops and down the road, the FBI. Threatening an airplane is a Federal offense..

Do not engage in retaliation or childish reaction such as publishing the phone number or buzzing the house.

KAPA has had a continuing problem for almost 15 yrs. Periodically one of the local HOA start a campaign, boilerplate letters and all to the FAA and every place else.

Of course there's always the jerk near Longmont. She even got told by the judge to cut it out when she went to court.

I'd call the local FSDO and report that you're getting harassing emails from a member of the public. Email him back and tell him if he doesn't stop threatening you you'll go to the FBI but that he has already been reported to the FAA. So when he calls the FAA to report you they'll already be in the loop.

Ironically, we don’t have a pilot in the club named Henry (re voice mail).
Guess I’ll try to google him tomorrow and see where he lives in relation to KBJC.

I wouldn’t contact him in any way shape or form.

File a police report for documentation of the unwarranted and unwanted contact, and if it continues request a restraining order.

Doubt the FSDO cares but I’d do the police report first and then forward them a copy of that. Not just a call.

Also might tip off the airport authority, but they probably already know the nutjob.

There’s really no winning with crazy people. Don’t bother.

Try to ignore that person,he’s just looking for attention. No reasonable or rational conversation can take place.

DO KEEP EVERYTHING

You never know when stuff like that will come in handy. And yeah, ignore the guy. Either he does away or escalates, and either way you win.

be careful...that wingnut might take a shot at someone...I'd definitely report it... He can, maybe, be talked to about making threats by someone in authority to do so...

Profanity being used.?? Threats.??

Using profanity, written or spoken in public is a sign of ignorance. If a person cannot express themselves without using bad language, you need to widen your vocabulary.

Game over. Give the FAA (for record keeping) and the police (for possible legal action) a copy of the recording and the email.

Do not attempt to make a personal contact. It will be useless to try to reason with this ignorant person.

He doesn't live anywhere near KBJC ... for those local, he's in Ken Caryl ...

He doesn't live anywhere near KBJC ... for those local, he's in Ken Caryl ...

No comment. LOL...

Document, report, and wait... I wouldn't engage with him at all.

And the report part is from past experience with government bureaucracy during similar horsecrap with radio towers. Two years into the harassment and the PD answer is, "Of course we won't do anything yet, we'd be happy to have done something (lie) if you'd have reported it two years ago... (because we need an excuse to fail miserably TODAY)..."

I'm baffled at how much "pull" the public has with noise complaints. We get on average about 50 noise complaints a month and usually at least 30 of them are from one person. She has claimed that the A-10s are going supersonic over her house, flying at tree top level and making her chickens not lay eggs. In response over the years we have raised the altitude of our overhead traffic pattern and altered the path slightly to try and accommodate complaints even though the base has been there since 1941 and she has lived there since the late 80's. She doesn't know which aircraft are flying over her house and makes the assumption that it is the A-10 since that's all she thinks is based at DM.

I'm baffled at how much "pull" the public has with noise complaints. We get on average about 50 noise complaints a month and usually at least 30 of them are from one person. She has claimed that the A-10s are going supersonic over her house, flying at tree top level and making her chickens not lay eggs. In response over the years we have raised the altitude of our overhead traffic pattern and altered the path slightly to try and accommodate complaints even though the base has been there since 1941 and she has lived there since the late 80's. She doesn't know which aircraft are flying over her house and makes the assumption that it is the A-10 since that's all she thinks is based at DM.

They only have pull because we collectively as a society have enabled them. If long ago more people had been told where to put their concern, we wouldn’t have this issue.

Since this guy specifically called out "Hank" in his voice mail message, he apparently thinks he knows who he's calling, and "sorry, man - there's no 'Hank' here". The "again" also tells me that he's been doing this a while? Or maybe he's just mad at the propane guy and thinks we are him? :)

Last edited:
Don't feed the trolls. It applies in the physical world as much as it does online. Don't give people like that the pleasure of a response. If he makes an unequivocal threat of actual violence, then get local law enforcement involved. Otherwise, just ignore him and remember rule #1: fly the airplane.

Since this guy specifically called out "Hank" in his voice mail message, he apparently thinks he knows who he's calling, and "sorry, man - there's no 'Hank' here". The "again" also tells me that he's been doing this a while? Or maybe he's just mad at the propane guy and thinks we are him? :)

I tell ya hwat, that boy ain't right

Back