accelerated glider training programs?

arcticsky

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
arcticsky
Without going into details (unless the PoA community is interested in them), I am not happy with my current progress towards getting a PGL. I would like to find a place where I could fly in for a week, do intensive training, and wrap things up. Based on discussions on this forum, it seems like such accelerated training programs are common for PPL or CFI. Anyone knows where I could find a similar one for gliders?

ssa.org has a link for locations. Let your fingers do the walking. Or typing, as the case may be. LOL

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I've used the ssa.org website before, but it just lists the soaring clubs or commercial operations where you can take lessons, there is no way of knowing how well-run the places actually are (maybe it's just been my "luck", but gliderports seem to have serious issues with being disorganized), so I wanted to get personal recommendations.

Are you already a pilot?
No, not yet. I am also planning to do single-engine and IFR down the road, probably a couple of years from now. I heard that it makes sense to start with gliders and then transition to power planes rather than the other way around, but I do wonder about that sometimes.

Mile High Gliding in Boulder. They are open every day.
Have you or anyone you know had any personal experience with them? I am leaning towards them location-wise.

Thanks for the replies!

Mile High Gliding

Have you or anyone you know had any personal experience with them? I am leaning towards them location-wise.

Short story. My BFR in 2013 was a Private Pilot Glider. Got my Comm Glider there, flew rides for a summer, then CFI-G and now I have a bunch of extra letters. They can get you done in a relatively short period of time. They primarily train in 2-33's but you can sweet talk them into a 2-32. They have three tow planes, beautiful scenery and close to a reasonable town (if weird politically).

I have had several good reviews about Arizona Soaring in Estrella, AZ.
The gentleman that purchased my previous glider recently went from solo to private pilot in under 10 days there.

Brian

I would expect that most current power airplane pilots could get through a weeks intensive training at the better commercial schools and pass a check ride for the add on rating.

I would not expect a person with no rating to have the same success. It would depend on how far along you are. Do you just need a good polish and check, having completed all of the required accrual of needed flights? Written complete? Then perhaps the one week finish may be what you need.

As Tony commented above, any of those 3 I also would recommend.

Soaring az! Great people and operation with super experienced instructors, and good equipment. They are a commercial operation so they run 7 days a week.

Hi, this is Jason from Arizona Soaring Inc. near Phoenix, AZ. Glad to see a few folks mentioned us as a place to get your rating completed! I think any of the other schools mentioned earlier would also be able to help you as well. Please feel free to contact us anytime and we can answer any questions you may have. Like Bijan said, we are open every day, all year except for Thanksgiving & Christmas. We have our own private airfield, and awesome weather. We train for all glider ratings, including initial CFIG. I also teach basic through unlimited level glider aerobatics if you are into that sort of thing. ;)

Back