Oh, that magenta line....

FlySince9

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jerry
So today me and Cathy did a Pilots and Paws flight from mid Carolina (KRUQ) to Rocky Mount NC (KRWI). I had preplanned it in Forefight and as usual was just gonna upload it to my GTN750. Well we were running late and for some reason my iPad wasn't talking to the GTN even though they were both set correctly to do so. In my haste, I decided to load it manually. So then I take off, climb to altitude, and call for flight following - as I dutifully followed the sacred line. About 5 minutes later, I noticed that I was travelling much more NE than E. The controller noticed that too and confirmed my destination. It was then that I realized I had transposed the R and W in the destination putting me happily on my way to McGuire AFB in New Jersey... Sometimes no matter how much tech you use, that imperfect, human stuff mucks it all up!
Oh yea... Cathy gave me "That" look...
But the puppies made it safe and sound as did we...

It happens.

In the Cirrus, I would teach that once the flight plan was entered, to always zoom all the way out to verify the route makes sense. There have actually been fatals due to transposing identifiers and not noticing it.

Good advice.

So today me and Cathy did a Pilots and Paws flight from mid Carolina (KRUQ) to Rocky Mount NC (KRWI). I had preplanned it in Forefight and as usual was just gonna upload it to my GTN750. Well we were running late and for some reason my iPad wasn't talking to the GTN even though they were both set correctly to do so. In my haste, I decided to load it manually. So then I take off, climb to altitude, and call for flight following - as I dutifully followed the sacred line. About 5 minutes later, I noticed that I was travelling much more NE than E. The controller noticed that too and confirmed my destination. It was then that I realized I had transposed the R and W in the destination putting me happily on my way to McGuire AFB in New Jersey... Sometimes no matter how much tech you use, that imperfect, human stuff mucks it all up!
Oh yea... Cathy gave me "That" look...
But the puppies made it safe and sound as did we...
Pictures!

It happens.

In the Cirrus, I would teach that once the flight plan was entered, to always zoom all the way out to verify the route makes sense. There have actually been fatals due to transposing identifiers and not noticing it.

I seem to recall a CFIT that happened that way. Out west somewhere, wasn’t it?

Possibly. I was thinking of one where an airliner hit a mountain in S America after transposing the identifier for an NDB, but I may be misremembering. I'll try to look it up.

Believe it was an American 757.

A side question. Can the 750 be set to autozoom to show the entire route? The 430w can autozoom and it used to annoy me but at least it helps by showing what has been entered. Of course it'd autozoom at the wrong time and I'd end up staring at the thing trying to figure out what happened. Ask @denverpilot what happens when the picture on the TV (430w) looks wrong...

A side question. Can the 750 be set to autozoom to show the entire route? The 430w can autozoom and it used to annoy me but at least it helps by showing what has been entered. Of course it'd autozoom at the wrong time and I'd end up staring at the thing trying to figure out what happened. Ask @denverpilot what happens when the picture on the TV (430w) looks wrong...

Yes... there are zoom buttons on the touch display, and you can set it up to autozoom as you approach your destination then auto-display the taxi diagram when you land... I'm pretty sure you can pinch and zoom too, in the graphic mode...

As best as I can tell a small internet troll operates my autozoom on the 650. I plan on turning it off of toning it down a bit in the menus whichever it will do.

For the moment it zooms to some strange level, usually way out and wholly unreadable on the smaller screen of the 650, and I spend too much time poking at the zoom in button.

This is the opposite of what it does at waypoints that include a turn. In that case it zooms in to about the two mile level, removing all SA about anything other than the waypoint (good and bad, you decide) and then after crossing the waypoint and the leg switches, it zooms back out to “useless and unreadable” which is probably to the next waypoint.

I think some of this would be a little better on the bigger screen of the 750 but it really is auto zoom trying to do too much that messes with me on the 650.

Thought about digging through menus today to figure out how to make it behave but there was a LOT of traffic on the ADS-B IN east of Denver with the Rockies game anti-terror TFR of Death clogging up the airspace on the northwest side of the Bravo. Soooooooo... I decided looking outside to avoid multiple collisions was probably in my best interest.

I’ve also noticed the traffic warnings are a bit later than I would like in cruise. I could see Dollison courses forming long before the Garmin alerted on it. In fact one time I maneuvered to place traffic BEHIND me, then it alerted that the traffic was 4 o’clock less than a mile. Yeah, thanks... I put it there with a turn. LOL.

Sooooo... nothings perfect but if there’s one super annoying feature in the GTN it’s auto-zoom, after flying behind it for a while.

Probably just used to ForeFlight keeping the aircraft in one spot and holding the same zoom value at all times. Pinch zoom to change it.

BTW the GTN has pinch zoom but my brain refuses to use it for some reason.

There’s also some interesting side effects of zoom level just like the 430/530 for traffic and map functions. Zoom in too far and the altitude markers under the Bravo shelf disappear. One notch back, they return like magic.

I need to go play with the simulator to see what settings I want for that. Flying under a Bravo shelf is hilarious with airspace warnings. I found if you fly the right heading right toward an altitude change corner, it’ll warn if you turn one way a degree or two, and the warning message will disappear if you turn back a degree or two. Obviously with an autopilot that could hold a course better than a newbie pilot (unlike mine) this wouldn’t show up. But hand flying if you’re pointed at the right spot you can literally turn the warning on and off with rudder. Hahaha.

That one I don’t mind so much but the message indicator and all the warnings in Bravo shelf airspace are so incessant they become the “Boy who cried wolf” and you start to ignore the messages.

I do like that you can program custom messages on a timer. I have one I added for 30 minute engine and fuel checks which I do like very much.

And away from complex airspace the airspace warnings would be great. But underneath the Bravo it whines too much.

Auto zoom has to die though. I’d rather read the distance setting and set it to something useful and if I need to see the whole route either zoom it out myself or just make sure the flight plan was sent over to the iPad via the Flightstream. Way easier to look at a routing change on the iPad just scrolling along.

Wait until you’re IMC and the damn thing is auto zooming on each waypoint of a STAR. The first time it happened I expected ATC to send me to a penalty box because I wasn’t right on the magenta...

Wait until you’re IMC and the damn thing is auto zooming on each waypoint of a STAR. The first time it happened I expected ATC to send me to a penalty box because I wasn’t right on the magenta...

ROFLMAO.

OMG I’m... 0.1 of a mile off???

Damn it auto-zoom!!! :)

It’s like autocorrect for IFR devices! :) :) :)

I can see that happening. How much was your heading off from what you pre-planned? That should of been a dead giveaway. I know you said NE vice planned E

It happens.

Yep. I do this every time. "Flight plan entered and verified" ... literally takes two seconds to zoom out and check.

I believe there were a couple of really high time pilots flying a 182 out of Vegas that ran into a mountain because the incorrect waypoint was entered and they were letting autopilot just do its thing. Sad.

At my airline, we always verify the route (leg-by-leg if it’s an international flight) and flight plan distance before departure. Besides visually checking the route, checking the distance helps reduce the chance of missing a fat-finger error. I have an IFD-440 in my Cherokee and it’s easy to compare the flightplan distance to what the GPS is saying. Just another way of doing it to try and mitigate errors.

Funny thing though, when I was reading the OP, I read it as KWRI in my mind (my airline has a contract out of McGuire) because I’ve been there, but I’ve never been to KRWI so I’m not familiar. The brain is a funny thing when it fills in what it “knows” is correct.

I can see that happening. How much was your heading off from what you pre-planned? That should of been a dead giveaway. I know you said NE vice planned E
not by much... I pointed the airplane generally east and then turned on the autopilot ...which locked to the set course and continued to climb. When I saw the GSO C airspace begin to appear on the screen I knew I was going more northerly than I should have been... it was only, like I say less than 5 minutes after takeoff all this happened...and maybe a 3-5 mile deviation...

Back