Flying commercial to Airventure 2018

easik

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
easik
This is my first Oshkosh trip and I will be flying commercial. Can you please tell me the closest airport that's within 1-2 hours driving distance to Oshkosh? Would appreciate some suggestions of close areas to stay as well. Thank you.

This is my first Oshkosh trip and I will be flying commercial. Can you please tell me the closest airport that's within 1-2 hours driving distance to Oshkosh? Would appreciate some suggestions of close areas to stay as well. Thank you.
Milwaukee KMKE, about 90 min south. Hotels anywhere nearOshkosh will be expensive. Dorms also not cheap but if you come in after Tuesday, probably able to get a dorm room. Check the airventure website as well as individual hotel chain websites.

Have you booked a car yet?

Appleton the closest served by the airlines, Green Bay also close. Milwaukee and Madison a few hours drive to Oshkosh.

I would caution you on using Appleton ,they are into inflated fees during the show, Green Bay isn’t bad ,and they have bus service to the show. You might even catch a packers practice ,if your into football.

Milwaukee KMKE, about 90 min south. Hotels anywhere nearOshkosh will be expensive. Dorms also not cheap but if you come in after Tuesday, probably able to get a dorm room. Check the airventure website as well as individual hotel chain websites.

Have you booked a car yet?
I'm going with my wife so I'd prefer a proper room for 2. No haven't rented a car yet, still considering other means of transportation. Thanks.

I would caution you on using Appleton ,they are into inflated fees during the show, Green Bay isn’t bad ,and they have bus service to the show. You might even catch a packers practice ,if your into football.
Thanks how long is the typical bus ride?

From Green Bay ,short of an hour or so

I'm going with my wife so I'd prefer a proper room for 2. No haven't rented a car yet, still considering other means of transportation. Thanks.

I get a proper room for the same reason. We’ve driven every year so haven’t tried the buses or shuttles. Green Bay has been our go-to for lodging the last 2 years. It’s not a bad drive south to Oshkosh. We’ve also stayed as far south as West Bend, which is a quick hop from Milwaukee. Nice town. Bit more of a daily drive to the show.

We managed to get into a motel in Appleton this year, and I suspect we’ll try to shuttle in this time.

Appleton the closest served by the airlines, Green Bay also close. Milwaukee and Madison a few hours drive to Oshkosh.
Madison is an hour, Milwaukee about 90 min. Never took more than that....until 10 miles south of OSH during the rush hours for the show. But 40 (or is it 41) is a 4 lane highway from MKE to Green Bay. It's the side streets around OSH that are the traffic problems.

Flying into MKE is the most cost effective. ATW, Appleton is tantamount to extortion, easily 3x the cost of MKE. Don't assume Uber or cabs anywhere in OSH, Appleton, etc.

The bus from KMKE will take you to KOSH in ~1.5 hours IIRC (2 stops en-route). Once there, Uber drivers are all over the place. Last year we used Uber to dinner every night and never had to wait. We were in the North 40 last year and getting picked up at Friar Tuck's was never an issue.

Car rentals are jacked way up that week due to the demand. So, you can pay more for a car, more for a room, or both.

Isn't it great to have options? :(

I fly into Appleton via Delta and rent a car. The airline prices are reasonable as is the car and aren't raised over normal times. However, I usually reserve in January and arrive about a week beforehand. (I head over to NW Wisconsin near Tomahawk to visit my Dad at his summer cabin, fish and partake of fine Wisconsin cuisine as well as visit relatives before coming over to AV on Sunday morning.) I usually leave on Thursday morning and the drive up to Appleton early in the morning is not a problem (met Gene Cernan there once).

Next year, check out the prices in the middle of the winter and I think you'll find them more reasonable.

Back