Flying from right seat

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
I am pursuing my CFI. Probably about a month from check ride.

Does anyone know of any reason why I could not practice flying (either by myself, or with another person in the left seat) while I fly from the right seat?

I know there are no FARs that preclude this, as long as I can reach all required control, switches and instruments.

I would like to do as much flying from the right as possible as I prepare for the check ride.

The first time,you should bring a pilot with you,so you can get comfortable,with the controls.

The sight picture is different. Oddly, I had an easier time landing from the right seat in a plane I'd never flown before. Watch aircraft that are missing convenient access to certain things on the right side. For example, I have no brakes on the right side in my Navion and it's near impossible for the right seater to raise the gear (though lowering it is not a problem).

I already have about 20 hours or so flying right seat with my instructor. I’m pretty good from the right seat at this point.

Just want to save a few bucks and not have to always schedule a CFI (which can sometimes be difficult) as I practice.

No reason not to, alone or not. Just do it, only way to become comfortable over there.

When I was prepping for my CFIA practical, I did some commercial maneuver practice solo from the right seat in my Mooney. Weird, but doable. Practice makes perfect.
And I’ll second Walboy’s comments about instrument parallax from the right seat. That takes getting used to.

It becomes second nature quite quickly.

Bob

Check the insurance. If seen a couple of policies that may not specify the PIC must be left seat, but do specify solo operations left seat. And there are policies that state PIC left seat.

Back