Yahoo is part of OATH

I don’t have FB profile, is that good or bad as far as online merchants go?

I don't have one either, and I've yet to come across a merchant who wouldn't gladly take my money.

I also suspect that with all the bad press FB is getting lately (which is about a tenth of what they deserve), not too many merchants other than those who sell through FB will require that customers have a FB account, much less use it to log in. But as I said, I've yet to come across a merchant who didn't have email registration available as an alternative to using a social media account.

Rich

Following up on this thread, in case it's useful for someone, here's info on how I ended up migrating my email from Yahoo to a paid service, in three steps.

First, I needed to own a domain.

Luckily I had bought a domain long ago, when good names were not taken yet. Today buying a name is easier than it was back then. For the sake of illustration, let's call the domain mylastname.net. My email address is now the equivalent of myfirstname@mylastname.net, which is nice and short, and best of all my millennial kids don't mock it the way they did my old yahoo address.

To maintain the ownership of my domain name, I am using Network Solutions, which I don't recommend because they send me annoying sales pitches. I hope their spam doesn't cause me to ignore an important messsage to renew my domain ownership.

Second, I needed a hosting company.

I settled on Rackspace.com, after first trying out protonmail.com. Rackspace seems to be used by serious tech companies to run their businesses, so it's surely good enough to host my little family email account. I abandoned protonmail because its attention to security is so extreme as to be a nuisance, with its inability to work with applemail on my iphone and ipad, and its need for a tricky "bridge" on a desktop computer.

I am paying Rackspace $10 per month for up to five email addresses. That's enough for my family. Unlike yahoo and other providers of free email, Rackspace explicitly promises not to read my email and sell info about me, and that's what's most important to me. Each address is entitled to 25 GB of email storage, which is a bit more than with a free gmail account.

Third, I needed to set up both my new hosting account and my old mail apps.

This part of the migration was the trickiest, and it was harder than getting started with a free gmail account, but Rackspace provides helpful instructions. Rackspace also offers 24/7 customer service that I didn't need.

The final result is that I now get all my email, as before, through the familiar applemail app on my mobile devices and through the familiar mail app on my desktop mac. I was able to move all my email easily from Yahoo to a protonmail or rackspace account by just dragging the messages from one folder to another in my desktop mail app. To make the last step practical, I first deleted about 20,000 useless email messages from my yahoo account, and that was the most time-consuming part of the whole project.

It's great that I can now keep my same email address when I move from one provider to another. That's an advantage over a free email account, along with the assurance of privacy. However, the paid email providers try to keep you from moving by now offering cloud-based "office" software and storage. Rackspace offers such a cloud service, as does Google's better known gsuite. I'm avoiding those services, and just sticking with simple email hosting, so that I can move my email again easily.

^^^^^ What he said...works!!! Yahoo/Google are fading in the rear-view mirror. Hello 40lima.com! Thanks, NoHeat!

Jim

Edit....and if you're using Thunderbird as a mail client, you can have IT move the downloaded emails from your former account to your new in-box. Cool tool!

Last edited:
The Yahoo spam filter seems to have mostly stopped working. Bummer.

I use office365 for a work related domain. Its $6.75 per employee. Works well. They only do the email bit for me, the stub website is with some discount host.
On a different domain I use a hosting service for the email part. It works, but it's far less convenient than using outlook or the Microsoftonline web interface which comes with their cloud storage for documents etc. One of these days I have to move that to Microsoft as well.
I had a small hosting company defect to Russia some years ago, that was interesting.

To migrate or archive, I have used the sync feature on a desktop client.

I'm now looking into doing this as well. Migrating off OATH/yahoo (and likely gmail) is on my list for this summer and summer is passing by rapidly.

I was going to use proton as well, but I want to have 2 full accounts (me plus wife) each with aliases and eventually another full account for my son. All under the domain I've had unused for over a decade. With Proton this is (currently) cost prohibitive.

I'll look into rackspace. Any other suggestions? Edit: we are all in the Apple ecosystem.

I've been using zoho.com for several years now. Basic email is free. No selling your data, no ads. They're 20 years old now I think.

https://www.zoho.com/

I'm now looking into doing this as well. Migrating off OATH/yahoo (and likely gmail) is on my list for this summer and summer is passing by rapidly.

I was going to use proton as well, but I want to have 2 full accounts (me plus wife) each with aliases and eventually another full account for my son. All under the domain I've had unused for over a decade. With Proton this is (currently) cost prohibitive.

I'll look into rackspace. Any other suggestions? Edit: we are all in the Apple ecosystem.

Look into fastmail.fm and see if they meet your needs. They’re email experts and that’s all they’ve done for decades. Owned by the folks who own the Opera browser nowadays, I think. They’ve contributed more code to fixing bad open source implementations of various IMAP servers than any other contributors on the planet, crossing almost two decades now. Those people *know* email.

I've been using zoho.com for several years now. Basic email is free. No selling your data, no ads. They're 20 years old now I think.

https://www.zoho.com/

One of our companies/divisions decided to buy their ticketing service a couple of years ago instead of asking IT for a recommendation on a ticketing and contact system for their end customers.

It works but their servers are down a lot more than they should be. There’s at least one monthly business day outage. They don’t appear to be architected properly for 100% uptime.

And reaching their support staff during any outage is not possible. You’ll get an email hours later when it’s already working again.

This is on a commercial enterprise account with the usual additional access to support outside of the cheap seats, etc.

They’ve also had more than one multi-day outage in the last few years.

Zoho anything...

“Two stars out of five, would not buy again.”

Look into fastmail.fm and see if they meet your needs. They’re email experts and that’s all they’ve done for decades. Owned by the folks who own the Opera browser nowadays, I think. They’ve contributed more code to fixing bad open source implementations of various IMAP servers than any other contributors on the planet, crossing almost two decades now. Those people *know* email.

One of our companies/divisions decided to buy their ticketing service a couple of years ago instead of asking IT for a recommendation on a ticketing and contact system for their end customers.

It works but their servers are down a lot more than they should be. There’s at least one monthly business day outage. They don’t appear to be architected properly for 100% uptime.

And reaching their support staff during any outage is not possible. You’ll get an email hours later when it’s already working again.

This is on a commercial enterprise account with the usual additional access to support outside of the cheap seats, etc.

They’ve also had more than one multi-day outage in the last few years.

Zoho anything...

“Two stars out of five, would not buy again.”

True, there have been a couple of times emails were delayed several hours. I would be hesitant to use their paid business services for that reason. Most of my communication with family and friends has gone to text messaging now so maybe I haven't noticed if there are more outages than that. It's a small price to pay for the knowledge they aren't reading my content and selling it. YMMV

Hi.
I was able to get a hold of Yahoo tech support? 1844 444 0101, private company, Globalized resolution? in Western Virginia? and someone with heavy accent by the name Jacob? answered. I asked him if I can get temporary access, to retrieve my old Emails, without agreeing to the new Privacy rules, and I was told that, there is no way to get in without agreeing, but they can get it for me for a fee. They are are private company that provides tech support for Yahoo, and they can provide tech support for the next 2 years?
It sounds to me like blackmail?
It sounds like the someone way up should look into this.
Has anyone else tried to contact them and what were the results?
Does any one know the number for the Yahoo Central office? They may not know what is going on?
It's not blackmail. This is a scam. The internet is full of fake customer support numbers that exist for no reason but to get your cc number and other personal information. They have nothing to do with Yahoo!

Took a quick look. Seems to be just what I was looking for. Thanks for the tip.

I've been using Fastmail for years. Never had a single problem.

Rich

I got it setup up today. Bit of a hassle since my NS records were apparently pointing to the old dyndns service I used to use years ago when I ran a home server. The FastMail support rep was great as was the Dotster support rep.

I use a shared hosting solution at hostgator, my younger brother uses bluehost, my older brother moved his company to office365.
I pay about $3 a month for the hosting, and $15 a year for the registrar. My younger brother is the same.
My older brother needs email, schedule, and apps, so with office365 he is around $20 a month I think.

Anyway, GoDaddy, NetworkSolutions are way overpriced and spam you to death. I get one or two emails a month from hostgator. And the spam filtering is almost as good as the paid GMail company stuff I manage for a friend (at $50 a user per month, yes he is an idiot).

Tim

Back