Lunch - What'd You Have?

You guys watch too many reality shows. My caribou shank in a retort bag is like boneless Ossa Buco, only better than any Osso Buco you've ever eaten!

Caribou isn't bad. Sort of like antelope. I can never get enough of moose or halibut.

I have had some Eskimos offer me seal stew and walrus flipper that has fermented while buried in the ground. Man, white people have died from eating that stuff...:yes::lol::lol:

Meh. I shoot moose to make burger. Tomato sauce covers the taste! Halibut? Never cared for it. I'm a salmon guy. Especially salmon caught in my front yard. My fav Alaskan white fish? Ling Cod. Quill back Rock Fish are a close second.

Moose burger sure isn't my favorite part, but I did take ground moose and added it to my chili and everyone that had it loved it.

Most people do not know how to cook salmon so I don't have it often. Gotta have that wood smoke taste to it though. But my wife cooks it to my likin'. She puts a little yellow mustard on it while cooking it and it comes out great. Never taste the mustard but it brings out the flavor.

In Russian Mission a lady there gave me a salmon patty cooked in a cast iron skillet and in bear grease and that was really tasty.

In Juneau a lady made a trade for 20 pounds of rock fish filets. She didn't like it so I traded her a few salmon for it. My wife and I absolutely loved it.!!

For halibut I like the smaller fish, around 10 to 20 pounds. Those seem to have the best flavor. The big giant halibut just don't have any flavor to me.

Yeah, must be nice to have salmon swim up to the house....:yesnod:

Did I mention that my wife can really cook fish..?? Must be the Asian in her...:lol: She comes from a family of commercial fisherman. They go out in these flimsy looking boats that scare the dickens out of me just looking at them.

No photos but I made up for a few boring days and no lunch today. Wasn’t lunch technically either.

Catfish on a bed of rice smothered in crawfish etoufee’, chicken and sausage jambalaya, boudin balls, and a beginet.

New Cajun place in town. About as close as we are going to get to visiting Mother’s in NOLA here. Not bad.

uvM3IXW.jpg

Come on guys! Let's get those cell phones out! :cool:

Your German is showing

And here I was concerned about offending the Irish. :)

No kidding, when my grandfather died we talked about it and we could count the number of meals we remembered him NOT eating a potato at, on two hands.

I’m not quite that bad. But I never met a potato I didn’t like. :)

The Irish were dilettantes. If you aren't making bread, pancakes, and dinner out of erdapfels (Austrian) then you aren't really committed to the potato.

I've experimented but don't mainline them anymore.

Meh. I shoot moose to make burger. Tomato sauce covers the taste! Halibut? Never cared for it. I'm a salmon guy. Especially salmon caught in my front yard. My fav Alaskan white fish? Ling Cod. Quill back Rock Fish are a close second.
You are picky for living in Alaska! :)

Most people do not know how to cook salmon so I don't have it often. Gotta have that wood smoke taste to it though. But my wife cooks it to my likin'. She puts a little yellow mustard on it while cooking it and it comes out great. Never taste the mustard but it brings out the flavor.
Was in the local grocery store yesterday here in Ohio and saw frozen Salmon steaks on clearance ($2.09, cheap.) It is bathed in seasonings/sauce and laying on a piece of cedar. I picked one up and decided against it. Seemed wrong to me. I would have had to put it in the oven that way to as I have no grill. :( NO I AM NOT TURNING IN MY MAN CARD!!!!!

Man, I wish I could catch wild salmon locally. Only thing you’ll find around here is Carp or Catfish..chet like that.. :mad:

Man, I wish I could catch wild salmon locally. Only thing you’ll find around here is Carp or Catfish..chet like that.. :mad:

Crap! What ya talk in' about Willis. Catfish is goooooood eatin'!

image.jpeg

PB&J is about the only time I prefer white. For all other sandwiches it’s either rye or wheat.
Same here. Grilled cheese also has to be on either white or a white wheat of some kind.

I'm not a big fan of trout, or most freshwater fish including catfish, but I'll eat it, preferably deep fried. There is a type of catfish in Southern Vietnam however that tastes nothing like a catfish and it's not tough either. It's one of the pricier fish there. "I" like it grilled over the BBQ in steaks with spices. "They" like it in hot pot.

I had a huge lunch of roasted veal ribs, mashed pumpkin and fried sweet potato. We even had Dulche de Leche ice cream for dessert.

Well a late lunch today. 3p (EDT)
Broccoli, brown rice, smashed avocado and pesto salmon.
BA579735-A9EA-41CC-B435-17354331CE1A.jpeg

Back