Should I buy a nose wheel or tailwheel airplane?

Tailwheel planes belong on a black and white VHS tape documentary about WW2.

Bwaaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaahaaaaa.

(Hint, I'm not laughing WITH you.)

But we need to stop the BS about tailwheel being some requirement to be a ‘real pilot’

True, but there's no arguing that learning in a tailwheel or getting your endorsement makes you a BETTER pilot that's far more in tune with your machine.

As an aside, I just cringe every time I see an RV "A version". Totally defeats the purpose in my opinion.

Last edited:
As an aside, I just cringe every time I see an RV "A version". Totally defeats the purpose in my opinion.

Oh yeah, that 2 mph speed reduction is really diminishing the grin for those guys. Not to mention the paltry 1740ft/min climb at gross weight.

But your right, it's your opinion.

Here's some facts: https://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv6perf.htm

Mine is also tipper instead of a slider. That's probably also contra-purpose, eh?

Remind us all which RV you have. Is it a Provost or a Dutchman?

Oh yeah, that 2 mph speed reduction is really diminishing the grin for those guys. Not to mention the paltry 1740ft/min climb at gross weight.

It's not about speed, it's about versatility. I'd far rather have a 180 than my 182. But the cost difference of buying one was huge when I bought my 182. I found a pristine 182 that was just completely restored, with a fresh engine and paid $55k for it. I couldn't touch a 180 at the time in similar condition for less than $100k...if that. With RVs there is no cost differential and tailwheel are just one helluva lot more fun and versatile.

But your right, it's your opinion.

Yes it is.

Asides:

I fly a tailwheel at least four times a year, it makes me a better pilot.

I purposely and frequently change up my approaches to landing. High this time and put it into a full slip all the way down to the numbers, low the next. Long final this time, very short the next (again, kicking it into a full slip). Almost all are power off though. It makes me a better pilot.

When I'm just out just sightseeing or simply warming up the oil to change it, I'll fly slow flight with my ASI reading zero for 15...20 minutes at a time. Hang it from the prop (when the temps are cool enough to allow it). It makes me a better pilot.

A few times a year I'll fly around the pattern a half dozen times with the ASI covered. It makes me a better pilot.

Ocassionally I'll put the iPad away and fly a long cross country just looking out the window. Ocassionally I'll fly VOR to VOR. It makes me a better pilot. If I make Kentucky Dam (which is looking unlikely at this point), I'll fly over by pilotage. If I miss Cape Girardeau, the Mississippi River, the Ohio River, Paducah, and Kentucky Lake then I definitely shouldn't be flying!

Or one can simple fly the same approach, fly the same numbers, follow the ipad, never stray from paved runways, etc., they will likely enjoy themselves and survive just fine but they're missing 90% of the fun IMO (there it is again...my opinion)

This isn't "chest beating, I'm better than you" BS. Rather it's just, "this is my opinion of what makes flying fun and What I think makes me better at it." If others hate these things, well, that's okay too but I certainly don't understand it.

Last edited:
Those who have no interest in tailwheel airplanes tend to view the tailwheel vs. trike thing as imagining, "gee would my Cherokee be better with a tailwheel?". No it wouldn't. That ain't what it's about. It's about the fact that the airplanes that were originally designed as tailwheels are just more fun for us "tailwheel" pilots to fly than the boring stuff that litters GA ramps. And as already mentioned, there are niche aircraft types that are truly better suited to a tailwheel configuration. Like the old saying goes- if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

There are also certain conversions that simply make one go "ewwwwwwwwwwwww."

For example, Piper took one of the prettiest little airplanes ever made and turned it into one of the ugliest (IMO):

Piper_PA-22-150TD_Tri-Pacer_Kyabram_Vabre.jpg

That's an absolutely beautiful airplane!

And to paraphrase Lucille Ball...when a lady with a big hat asked her how she liked it...she responded, "well, if that's the look you're after then it's certainly a good one!"

:cool:

Thanks!

Along those lines, Nuccio Bertone, famed Italian car designer, said something to the effect of, "To Mr. Toad, Mrs. Toad looks beautiful." :)

It's not about speed, it's about versatility

Please share your brilliance on the difference in versatility between the Nose or Tail wheel model of ANY Vans model.

It's not apparent on the 6 or 7.

Oh, I know... it's the 10 where the difference really shows, right?

You seriously don't understand. Interesting.

Hint, I really don't give a rat's sorry ass what you think.

And that's such a great attitude for a student pilot to have.

Last edited:
I’m a tailwheel pilot with roughly 10k hours, of which, 96% are tailwheel hours. I don’t puff my chest out and brag, and in fact, I’ve driven 8 hours to see my Dad when the winds were going to be too high. If I’d had a 172, I would have flown. I’m selling my 140, and the next plane may very we’ll be a nosewheel plane to help my photo mission. Makes me a little sad, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be okay!

lockheed_xfv-1_on_the_ground_c1954.jpg

Be a real man and get a real tailwheel.

Back