When to start with a CFI for CFI training

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
Planning to get my CFI ticket this summer. I've done some reading on my own (all my other tickets have largely been due to self-study) but I get the feeling for my CFI training I really should sit down with a knowledgeable CFI and get some ground schooling.

How far out from my checkride should I start working with a CFI?

You can self study a lot of the CFI. I “taught” ground lessons on my mom who has no aviation experience. If you can get someone without an aviation background to understand you, you’re doing something right. The flying is pretty easy. Just have to get used to the right seat and explaining maneuvers while you perform them.

If self study is your thing you can do it. You will probably want to go ahead and start with a CFI, if you can find the right person locally. If at all possible, find someone who has sent CFI candidates through the system recently. Its a really long checkride and its hard to say how it will be conducted.

I just called the FSDO today to schedule my CFI-initial... wish me luck :eek:

The first thing to understand is that the flight instructor certificate training and checkride is not about flying. It is about teaching. If you're reasonably proficient at flying, you'll need little time in an airplane practicing the maneuvers. Most of the CFI applicants I've worked with have around 6 hours of dual in preparation for the checkride.

The real question is, how deep is your knowledge and how good are you at communicating and teaching that knowledge? Most of the time spent in preparation for the CFI checkride will be ground work. The more work you can do on your own to prepare yourself the less time you'll need to spend with a CFI doing the same.

Personally, I'd wait to talk to a CFI until you're ready to sit down and plow through the rating. From the time I started working with a CFI to the time of my checkride was about two weeks. I was working a full time job at the same time too.

Last edited:
Great thread. I am finishing PPL, but will be pursing CPL/CFI. When did you guys start the transition to flying in the right seat?

I just called the FSDO today to schedule my CFI-initial... wish me luck :eek:

Good luck!

Great thread. I am finishing PPL, but will be pursing CPL/CFI. When did you guys start the transition to flying in the right seat?
Good luck!

The hard part is definitely not learning in the right seat. I did weeks of ground self study and went through a course that met a few nights a week for all of the material on the CFI. FOI, etc... first

Then I spent about 5 hours flying the private and commercial maneuvers from the right seat... thats all I needed to get comfortable (knock on wood)

Work on mastering flying the airplane from the left seat first, then worry about switching seats. A few hours is all it is going to take to figure out how to fly from the right seat.

The flying isn’t the bard part. Teaching is for many.

Option: Get AGI and IGI and teach a ground school course for primary students.

The flying isn’t the bard part. Teaching is for many.

Option: Get AGI and IGI and teach a ground school course for primary students.

Sorry for hijacking your thread @labbadabba. I currently teach middle school and love the teaching aspect, can't stand everything else. That is my motivation for seeking my CFI because I would absolutely love the reward of teaching something myself and my students are passionate about.

The first thing to understand is that the flight instructor certificate training and checkride is not about flying. It is about teaching. If you're reasonably proficient at flying, you'll need little time in an airplane practicing the maneuvers. Most of the CFI applicants I've worked with have around 6 hours of dual in preparation for the checkride.

The real question is, how deep is your knowledge and how good are you at communicating and teaching that knowledge? Most of the time spent in preparation for the CFI checkride will be ground work. The more work you can do on your own to prepare yourself the less time you'll need to spend with a CFI doing the same.

Personally, I'd wait to talk to a CFI until you're ready to sit down and plow through the rating. From the time I started working with a CFI to the time of my checkride was about two weeks. I was working a full time job at the same time too.

Did you go right into your CFI after your commercial? I've been out of aviation for 16 years and now starting down the CFI road. My Flight Review and IPC are done and I was really rusty there so it took a couple flights. My goal is to have my CFI ticket by the middle of August, so roughly 15 weeks. I can only fly once a week due to work and finances.

Did you go right into your CFI after your commercial? I've been out of aviation for 16 years and now starting down the CFI road. My Flight Review and IPC are done and I was really rusty there so it took a couple flights. My goal is to have my CFI ticket by the middle of August, so roughly 15 weeks. I can only fly once a week due to work and finances.

No. I think I had my commercial certificate for about 3 years and several hundred hours prior to starting to work on my initial flight instructor certificate. During that three years between certificates I remained very active in the aviation community and flew a fair amount, which I think was beneficial when it came to remembering and being able to fly the maneuvers. I was also pretty sharp on the regulations and technical subject areas before I started working on my flight instructor certificate.

Coming back into aviation after 16 years might present an extra challenge for an aspiring CFI. You're going to want to make sure you're sharp on all aspects of aviation, many of which you may have forgotten about (or regulations changed) in that 16 year vacation or were never previously emphasized. If possible, I'd suggest considering taking some time away from family and work to focus on earning the certificate. Distractions will make things harder.

When I did my CFI in two weeks and worked a full time job at the same time, it was like I had two full time jobs. When I wasn't at work I was at the airport, which probably amounted to 4-6 hours each day. We did some flying but mostly ground study during that time, preparing for the checkride and learning to teach.

Planning to get my CFI ticket this summer. I've done some reading on my own (all my other tickets have largely been due to self-study) but I get the feeling for my CFI training I really should sit down with a knowledgeable CFI and get some ground schooling.

Early. You can do a lot of sel-study but ultimately the CFI is less about what you know than how to communicate what you know and field sometimes unexpected questions. That what the one-on-one between candidate and instructor ground (and flight time) is mostly about.

Other way around.

You're moving from a student to a teacher, you should already know all the aviation stuff, know where to find the answers to the rest.

CFI was the least expensive ride I ever took, also the ride I spent the most time studying for, it's like 90% self study, 7% learning from tutoring students, 3% dual and paperwork with another CFI

Probably sit down with a cfi a month before and have him ask you to teach a lesson. Youll either do like i did and teach the entirety of 8s on pylons in 30 seconds or spend 30 minutes teaching some minutia. Cfi will give you feedback and you spend the next month or w/e fixing how you teach. That said my first 50 hrs not gonna lie probably wasnt worth tbe 35bucks an hr to my students lol you learn quick on the job.

Right off the bat. Then they will likely (hooepefully) steer you to what needs to be done... ie lessonn plans and so forth.

Everyone says CFI flying is no big deal, and that holds true imo for private maneuvers. If they asked for an eight on pylon...???? Not sure.

Everyone says CFI flying is no big deal, and that holds true imo for private maneuvers. If they asked for an eight on pylon...???? Not sure.

They’d better know how to do 8s on Pylons by the Commercial, well before they study for the CFI. :)

Just sayin’.

They’d better know how to do 8s on Pylons by the Commercial, well before they study for the CFI. :)

Just sayin’.
Indeed. I guess my point is later in life, such as a requal ( orwgateverit is) after CFI expiration.
Not sure I ever really could do those babies even in my prime.

You need a CFI now. The CFI is going to help you direct your self study toward how you are going to teach the information. Where do you get the information for a lesson plan, how you make a lesson plan, what equipment do you need for the lesson, why is the information or technique important, what are the standards, what are the common errors.....

Back