Tammie Jo Shults

superglide

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
superglide
Greetings,
New here, looking for info.
Have searched for the Navy callsign for Lt. Cmdr. Shults (retired).
Can't find it.
I thought there was a list of Naval aviator callsigns somewhere.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,

Superglide

I knew a Tammie Jo once.... I wonder...nah she was a striker. Never mind.

She and her husband fly a sweet 177RG out of 5C1 (Boerne Stage, near San Antonio).

She and her husband fly a sweet 177RG out of 5C1 (Boerne Stage, near San Antonio).

Of course they do. Seems like every retiree from the AF or USN ends up in San Antonio. It's getting jammed up in here fellas. I had to do a double take make sure I wasn't in Houston...:rolleyes:. That's I why moved to a town close to it with a GA airport. Wife and kid have a short commute in town, dad still has sub 15 min drive to the airplane. All is well. :D

Got co-workers in Boerne, nice area, close to the airport. Hellacious commute to SA though. For airline guys it's not bad since people commute in only a few times a week and during non-rush hour.

As to the OP, there is no such official list of callsigns. Callsigns are not official in any way nor do we keep rosters of people's names like that.

What rock are you hiding under? I am not stalking her, moron. She is so much in the news, I am curious. It doesn't really matter, just another interesting facet of a now famous pilot. I haven't asked her because I don't know here. Her husband is also a commercial pilot.

Retired LCDR suggests less than stalkable material.
That depends entirely upon what the stalker would like to be into so to speak. Maybe he wants to salute or he’s working up to admiral or something...

What rock are you hiding under? I am not stalking her, moron.

Since the demise of SZ, we try to play nice around here. Even if we're not fond of someone we still adhere to some amount of decorum.

JC and I agree on nothing, but we still hold hands.

Retired LCDR suggests less than stalkable material.

I've seen her picture. She's stalkable.

What rock are you hiding under? I am not stalking her, moron. She is so much in the news, I am curious. It doesn't really matter, just another interesting facet of a now famous pilot. I haven't asked her because I don't know here. Her husband is also a commercial pilot.

Hey, youre the one who came in here asking for information about a female you don't know. Sounds like a stalker to me.

You don’t know her, and you obviously don’t know “here”, or you would know that directly calling someone a “moron” is considered a personal attack, and subject to a possible ban. Please abide by our Rules of Conduct that you agreed to when you joined this site.

Okay, I didn't make the mental connection. Know I know who we are talking about. Not to diminish her accomplishment in safely bringing down a passenger jet with the loss of an engine, but, I kind of sort of think that is a general expectation.

Why is SHE famous? She did the same thing a SW airlines pilot did in 2016 but yet he got no attention and no one wants to know his “call sign.” I would expect any Captain in the majors or the regionals to be able to land their aircraft single engine.

Since the demise of SZ, we try to play nice around here. Even if we're not fond of someone we still adhere to some amount of decorum.

JC and I agree on nothing, but we still hold hands.

I've seen her picture. She's stalkable.
The people that called him a stalker were the ones not playing nice. He asked a simple question and got burned for it. But the "moron" comment was uncalled for, and I think he will learn that lesson or disappear.

Why is SHE famous? She did the same thing a SW airlines pilot did in 2016 but yet he got no attention and no one wants to know his “call sign.” I would expect any Captain in the majors or the regionals to be able to land their aircraft single engine.
SHE is famous because there are so few female professional pilots, and up until just recently, many people thought women couldn't fly a plane at all, much less one in an emergency situation.

I for one salute her, even if what she did has been accomplished by others in the past. Those others didn't have to overcome the hurdles she did to get where she is.

The people that called him a stgalker were the ones not playing nice. He asked a simple question and got burned for it.
I would agree with that too, but the stalker comment was phrased as a question, not a direct personal attack as we define it in the ROC (this is my opinion, not necessarily that of the entire MC). There was no question about the moron comment.

Personally, I think someone logging on for the first time by asking a question about how to contact a woman they don't know is dicey at best. The OP should know better.

Personally, I think someone logging on for the first time by asking a question about how to contact a woman they don't know is dicey at best. The OP should know better.
Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing, I just kept my mouth shut.

I would agree with that too, but the stalker comment was phrased as a question, not a direct personal attack as we define it in the ROC (this is my opinion, not necessarily that of the entire MC). There was no question about the moron comment.

There was “no question” by what was implied by the stalker comment either. For instance, if I were to say “is your head in the sand?”, would you take that as a legitimate question or me implying that you’re intentionally ignoring my intent by asking said question?

He didn't ask how to contact her, he asked what her Navy call sign was. For example, "Maverick".

There was “no question” by what was implied by the stalker comment either. For instance, if I were to say “is your head in the sand?”, would you take that as a legitimate question or me implying that you’re intentionally ignoring my intent by asking said question?
If we tried to moderate in that way, there would be no content here!

I missed the part where he was asking how to contact her...just merely asking about a callsign. Guess I’m missing what exactly he should know as a first time poster that he violated?

If we tried to moderate in that way, there would be no content here!

I definitely can’t argue with that, lol...just think reprimanding one without calling out the other was short-sighted. But then I’m not (thankfully) a mod either...

SHE is famous because there are so few female professional pilots, and up until just recently, many people thought women couldn't fly a plane at all, much less one in an emergency situation.
Also, unlike when prior similar incidents occurred in years past, every news editor in the country now knows how to access the recording from liveATC at a moment’s notice.

I for one salute her, even if what she did has been accomplished by others in the past. Those others didn't have to overcome the hurdles she did to get where she is.
+1.

That’s nonsense. Women have been flying since the early days of aviation. There have been numerous famous female pilots. The first Powder Puff Derby in 1929 proved that women can fly. The WASPs proved that women can fly. The 99s is one of the more famous aviation organizations. The first female airline pilot was in 1973. Yes that was far after men but still 45 years ago. How is any of that considered recently? The fact that women appear to be underrepresented on a per capita basis is probably just due to flying not appealing to them and not due to any misogynistic efforts to deny them access to the cockpit. In fact, the opposite is actually the case as there are many gender specific outreach programs that seek to draw young girls into aviation. These programs have had moderate success at best.

You don’t know her, and you obviously don’t know “here”, or you would know that directly calling someone a “moron” is considered a personal attack, and subject to a possible ban. Please abide by our Rules of Conduct that you agreed to when you joined this site.
On post #2 no less...

Although I agree with Everskyward, I hereby place myself in a self-imposed 4 hour time-out for maybe / not really implying he might be a stalker.

See ya'll in 4 hours..

Read somewhere that her call sign was Revlon, but I don't think that's correct. Schults is quoted in a book called "Call Sign Revlon: The Life and Death of Navy Fighter Pilot Kara Hultgreen", which implies that Revlon was Kara Hultgreen's callsign.

Read somewhere that her call sign was Revlon, but I don't think that's correct. Schults is quoted in a book called "Call Sign Revlon: The Life and Death of Navy Fighter Pilot Kara Hultgreen", which implies that Revlon was Kara Hultgreen's callsign.
Revlon was indeed Kara Hultgreen’s call sign.

I doubt the call sign was re-used.

Up until recently? Someone would have to be living under a rock to believe a women can’t fly an aircraft. This ain’t the 1950s. Women have been flying professionally before she was even born.

How do you know “those others” didn’t have their own hurdles in becoming military aviators? Yeah, the first female fighter pilots had barriers to overcome but she should be so lucky to have such first world military aviator problems. Thousands of male and female applicants never even got the chance to fly in the Navy, let alone fly a fighter.

She's a former military aviator that successfully did her job reacting to an emergency. The fact that she’s in the minority of airline pilots, shouldn’t make her famous but I guess these days it does.

Another thing I noticed is that if you do a search for “2016 hero southwest airlines pilot” you’ll automatically get the 2018 Tammie Jo Shultz articles that focus entirely upon her. The few articles you will find that even mention the previous engine failure, commend the CREW’s actions and not focus on the Captain.

It will be nice when people don't make a big deal about a pilot being female...

I think most women pilots, especially Tammie Jo, don’t want the attention anyway. The ones that I’ve flown with in the military and civilian that crave the attention, generally aren’t very good and don’t last long as a career.

Back