Pirep on Des Moines Aviation

lancie00

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
lancie00
I happened to be in Des Moines for a conference and thought I would stop at the airport and check on avionics prices. I went into Des Moines aviation and told them I didn't have a lot of money but was looking to install a used nav com in our Arrow. He proceeded to quote me $29,850 for a garmin gtn650, an indicator, audio panel and gtx345! Then he said that was for a VFR install! I almost fell out of my chair. I said for that much money it damn well better be IFR compliant. He then told me we HAD to have dual nav comes to fly IFR legally!!! I walked out without even picking up the estimate so I'm not sure what else he had on it. All I can say is buyer beware! DO YOUR RESEARCH!

I happened to be in Des Moines for a conference and thought I would stop at the airport and check on avionics prices. I went into Des Moines aviation and told them I didn't have a lot of money but was looking to install a used nav com in our Arrow. He proceeded to quote me $29,850 for a garmin gtn650, an indicator, audio panel and gtx345! Then he said that was for a VFR install! I almost fell out of my chair. I said for that much money it damn well better be IFR compliant. He then told me we HAD to have dual nav comes to fly IFR legally!!! I walked out without even picking up the estimate so I'm not sure what else he had on it. All I can say is buyer beware! DO YOUR RESEARCH!

But baby needs a new pair of shoes!

For an Arrow? You don't need a second radio. In a transport category aircraft a lone GTN isn't enough

Back