Yahoo is part of OATH

this interests me as a Yahoo victim user and about to launch a into biz email.
I have my domain name paid for.
Can I pay proton to host my email for employees@mybiz.com?

“Members of Congress were criticized for displaying through misguided questions their lack of understanding about how Facebook works. But in the current data economy, Facebook and other big tech companies operate as black boxes that are impossible for outside users to fully understand. We really don’t know most of the time what is being done with the data we post online...”

Oh what horsecrap, Washington Post. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together vigorously knew that any website that charges NOTHING scrapes all sorts of information from users to pay the bills.

Did they thing the company runs on magic unicorn dust?

And defending the moronic questions asked by the Congresscritters? Did they SEE the stupid crap they asked? LOL.

That wasn’t just confusion about what goes on inside Facebook, that was a group of people who generally don’t have a freaking clue how anything works. They don’t need to. They have people for that.

And if those people can’t fix it, man, GeekSquad will be right over! LOL LOL LOL.

Thanks for the suggestion. The encryption, the "about" story, etc all sound very good.

But I wonder how long their operation can last, after reading this page:

Your donation will help us add capacity and continue to develop ProtonMail as free and open source software. It is only through the support of the community that we are able to continue providing ProtonMail to people around the world.
My concern is that changing my personal email account is no small matter - among other things, the email address is used as the login ID for many accounts. I think I should switch from Yahoo, but where? I only want to do it once, so I'd love to find a service that will last 20+ years. And I'm willing to pay.
Protonmail generates most of their revenue through paid e-mail hosting. You need to pay them if you want to bring your own domain or have a mailbox greater than 500 megabyte.

Always bring your own domain. Never use the e-mail provider's domain. Switching providers is easy if you control the domain.

Always bring your own domain. Never use the e-mail provider's domain. Switching providers is easy if you control the domain.

And for the same reason NEVER use any service’s 800 numbers either. Always redirect your own to them...

Protonmail generates most of their revenue through paid e-mail hosting. You need to pay them if you want to bring your own domain or have a mailbox greater than 500 megabyte.

Thanks. I could do that. I have a domain name hosted at a big hosting firm, where I just have a single web page. Presently I don’t use the hosting firm’s email service, but I can probably figure out how to set it up for forwarding to ProtonMail. But two questions:

1. So where would my incoming email reside then? Presently I do not delete email messages; I just let them accumulate on Yahoo’s server and stay there for years. The inbox has 18 thousand. When I want to find some info, I just search my old emails from whichever client I am using (ipad Mail, iphone Mail, desktop computer browser), and it can search the Yahoo server. In your scenario, would my incoming emails reside on ProtonMail’s server?

2. Is there an efficient way to move all my thousands of old emails from Yahoo’s server elsewhere?

Use DuckDuckGo instead of Goolag for your searches. Easy to pay for a Domain name (~$15 per year) and you can have as many emails addys as you like. If one is compromised you delete it and switch to another. Use a email "client" such as Thunderbird on your computer to check and read your mail.

“Members of Congress were criticized for displaying through misguided questions their lack of understanding about how Facebook works. But in the current data economy, Facebook and other big tech companies operate as black boxes that are impossible for outside users to fully understand. We really don’t know most of the time what is being done with the data we post online...”

Oh what horsecrap, Washington Post. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together vigorously knew that any website that charges NOTHING scrapes all sorts of information from users to pay the bills.

Did they thing the company runs on magic unicorn dust?

And defending the moronic questions asked by the Congresscritters? Did they SEE the stupid crap they asked? LOL.

That wasn’t just confusion about what goes on inside Facebook, that was a group of people who generally don’t have a freaking clue how anything works. They don’t need to. They have people for that.

And if those people can’t fix it, man, GeekSquad will be right over! LOL LOL LOL.
And just to wind things up even more, please note that the Washington Post is owned by one Jeff Bezos. Yes, THAT Jeff Bezos. And if you subscribe (at a discounted rate) through Amazon Prime, both WaPo and Amazon get deep data on you.

But why should the WaPo let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Thanks. I could do that. I have a domain name hosted at a big hosting firm, where I just have a single web page. Presently I don’t use the hosting firm’s email service, but I can probably figure out how to set it up for forwarding to ProtonMail. But two questions:

1. So where would my incoming email reside then? Presently I do not delete email messages; I just let them accumulate on Yahoo’s server and stay there for years. The inbox has 18 thousand. When I want to find some info, I just search my old emails from whichever client I am using (ipad Mail, iphone Mail, desktop computer browser), and it can search the Yahoo server. In your scenario, would my incoming emails reside on ProtonMail’s server?
Your email would be available within ProtonMail's web interface (just like it was available within Yahoo Mail's interface). You can let the mail accumulate and organize it as you see fit. You can also use their encryption bridge which then allows you to use any IMAP mail client with their service.

2. Is there an efficient way to move all my thousands of old emails from Yahoo’s server elsewhere?
Nothing really easy......If Yahoo offers IMAP you could use a tool like imapsync to sync the mail between Yahoo and your ProtonMail IMAP bridge. This isn't exactly an activity that the non-technical is likely to succeed at.

FWIW I used imapsync to migrate my personal email from Google Apps to ProtonMail.

Getting harder to view mail today with the OATH popup. Yesterday could defer it.

When will all these companies be told to stick it? Ie, when will it be illegal for them to access our stuff?
Conversely, shpuld we now expect USPS to have the right to look at our letters before sending them on?? Fedex/UPS to open, record the contents of our packages??

When will all these companies be told to stick it? Ie, when will it be illegal for them to access our stuff?
Their house... their rules. If you don't like their rules then I suggest you move your stuff out of their house.

Here's just a few of my rules. Naturally only .0001% of my clients ever read my rules before they sign up for my services, but they are posted nevertheless.

Registration Information:

The Personal Information you provide when you join our Services is used primarily to help us customize your online experience, increase the convenience of accessing new tools, products and services, and, if applicable, provide the products and/or services you purchase or request. Your username serves as a unique identifier in our record system, and together with your password is designed to prevent unauthorized access to any information you choose to store on the Site. The data you provide in your member profile (e.g., your name, agency affiliation, about, zip code, experience or the like) is used to help Users find real estate agents to refer their clients to based on matching psychographic profiles and geographical locations. In addition, we may share some of this information, in aggregate form, with our current and potential advertisers so that they can present advertisements more effectively. If you forget your password for any registered area of the Site, we have an automated password recovery system, which can be accessed by clicking on the (forget your password) link on your member login page.

Automatically Collected Information:

Like many websites, we automatically track certain information about you as you use our Services to help us to better understand how the Services are used and how we can enhance your overall experience. This information we collect may include your computer’s Internet Protocol address, the URLs and Site pages you have visited, the number of times you visit each Site page, what downloads and search queries you have made, how long you spent on particular sections of the Site, and your browser type. This automatically gathered data includes information provided through the use of “cookies.” Cookies are small files that we send to and store on your computer or mobile device so that we can recognize it as a unique machine the next time you visit the Site. Information that is automatically gathered may be shared in aggregate form with other third parties, including listing providers, advertisers and our affiliates.

Your email would be available within ProtonMail's web interface (just like it was available within Yahoo Mail's interface). You can let the mail accumulate and organize it as you see fit. You can also use their encryption bridge which then allows you to use any IMAP mail client with their service.

Nothing really easy......If Yahoo offers IMAP you could use a tool like imapsync to sync the mail between Yahoo and your ProtonMail IMAP bridge. This isn't exactly an activity that the non-technical is likely to succeed at.

FWIW I used imapsync to migrate my personal email from Google Apps to ProtonMail.
I've a question. Any reason why webmail.pilotsofamerica hasn't moved to proton yet? I used to pay for the service, and still would in fact. Any thought to reincarnation your own mail server?
I rather like the email address except when filling out forms requesting your email. Sometimes there just isn't enough space.

I've a question. Any reason why webmail.pilotsofamerica hasn't moved to proton yet? I used to pay for the service, and still would in fact. Any thought to reincarnation your own mail server?
I rather like the email address except when filling out forms requesting your email. Sometimes there just isn't enough space.
How about webmail.poa? I'd pay for that.

I'm shocked I tell ya when I heard old Marky mark tell congress he must have been naive about trusting people and users not to scrape data off facebook. How else did facebook become a multi billion dollar company if they didn't use your data nor make it available to spammed and hacks. If they were truly concerned about privacy, then the default for Facebook and others would be no one could read a thing you posted until you let them. But like all other online services and systems, (twitter, instagram, google, etc) the default settings are fully public, trou dropped in the courtyard, wanger fully exposed.
They all suck. My snail box is full every day, my phone rings constantly, spam fills my inbox, and a Google search shows up on FB in the form of an ad. Do I doubt they are making money off me?
And let's not forget that big brother is looking as well. I don't think they are as sophisticated as the public services but I've no doubt they are looking; reading emails, listening in on phones, reading texts long before I see them.

Conversely, shpuld we now expect USPS to have the right to look at our letters before sending them on?? Fedex/UPS to open, record the contents of our packages??
As soon as everybody is willing to give up "free" services.

Ah, beat me to it; was just signing in and saw this ********. Been YM user since '95. I think this is coming to an end, the "terms of use" are ridiculous and 100% one-sided.

Anyone have experience with setting up a mail server?

Yes. And unless you're getting paid for it, I recommend against it. It's more of a pain in the ass than everything else about the job combined.

Why not just get a domain and have it hosted somewhere? Stick a picture of something on the home page so it's not completely blank, and just use the mail.

Rich

Yes. And unless you're getting paid for it, I recommend against it. It's more of a pain in the ass than everything else about the job combined.

Why not just get a domain and have it hosted somewhere? Stick a picture of something on the home page so it's not completely blank, and just use the mail.

Rich
It should be dirt simple but the scumbags have made it very difficult to maintain.

I already have a few domains and I'm going to be doing as you suggested, so thanks. A few bucks a year to not have those bastages snoop through my private messages is well worth it. Plus, as a business owner, I can write it off!

There are some businesses, mine included, in which state law precludes us from sharing client/patient information. We go to great lengths to ensure confidentiality... but these companies can undo all that by reading our messages - and they are not bound by our laws.

There are some businesses, mine included, in which state law precludes us from sharing client/patient information. We go to great lengths to ensure confidentiality... but these companies can undo all that by reading our messages - and they are not bound by our laws.
That is why my Doctor refuses to put any confidential patient information in email. That makes it difficult for me because I have a lot of trouble understanding phone calls unless I have a headset on (due to my very poor hearing and hearing aids). I do as much with email as possible. But even if get my own domain name and sign on with a paid email service, most of the people I email are on the free domains and their email gets snooped.

Wait, aren't your patients animals?

There are a few outsourced email solutions that do meet HIPPA standards. Encrypted at rest, and secure access.

Ok, I have followed the suggestion of Jesse and others.

I bought the cheapest paid service at ProtonMail. And I rummaged in my desk and found the domain registration login for an unused domain that I bought years ago, so that I could now edit its DNS info. Then I used Protonmail’s Custom Domain feature to generate the required DNS info for copy and paste. I set it all up to make emails to and from an address at my domain so the emails are stored and sent and received on the Protonmail server. But my correspondents will see only an address of my choosing on my domain, not my ProtonMail address.

Now I have a highly secure and private email account, and if ProtonMail goes belly up I can keep my new email address by moving to another email server.

This all took me an hour or so, since I seldom do stuff with domains.

Thanks Jesse and all for the suggestions.

Last edited:
...should we now expect USPS to have the right to look at our letters before sending them on?? Fedex/UPS to open, record the contents of our packages??
We pay USPS, Fedex, and UPS. Most of us don't pay Yahoo/Oath. (I say "most" because my ISP, AT&T, has a contract with Yahoo to provide email service for AT&T's customers.)

And according to Oath's TOS you must indemnify them if one of your clients is damaged and sues them.

We pay USPS, Fedex, and UPS. Most of us don't pay Yahoo/Oath. (I say "most" because my ISP, AT&T, has a contract with Yahoo to provide email service for AT&T's customers.)

exactly, I feel like some part of my internet bill is routed to Yahoo. ATT, my DSL provider used to own Yahoo I believe

Maybe I can hire Hillary's guy.
You should hire Donald's guy, he has all the best people, and they're all looking for jobs right now (except the ones in jail, of course)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Just as soon as everyone agrees to start paying a monthly fee for email so that they don't have to sell targeted ads to get revenue.

So, approximately never.

Along these lines, I told my wife about two or three weeks ago that I had emailed a friend of mine and mentioned that I was thinking about upgrading my worn out Kamodo Smoker to a Green Egg. The next morning, I started noticing Green Eggs in the advertisements on my email page. This was before they announced their "new" privacy policy.

Just as soon as everyone agrees to start paying a monthly fee for email so that they don't have to sell targeted ads to get revenue.

So, approximately never.

I wouldn't say that. I maintain multiple servers, but I also have paid accounts at two mail providers (Fastmail and Netaddress [a/k/a USA.NET]).

Fastmail is the better of the two in terms of a nicer interface (which I never use, but still), incredibly fast response, and no noticed outages in the several years I've been using them. They also support CalDAV and CardDAV. They're one of the very few providers about whom I can't think of a bad thing to say. They've been perfect.

Netaddress is very good, but does average a few outages every year. They typically last anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. I keep them because they're decent enough to be worth the money, and because I like the address and have used it extensively for almost 20 years. They may also support CalDAV and CardDAV. I'm not sure.

Jesse also mentioned Proton, with whom I have no experience; but Jesse's probably the smartest guy I've ever met, so if he recommends something, that's good enough for me.

I also have Gmail and Yahoo! accounts. I use them to correspond with Google and Yahoo!, respectively, and no one else. No one else even knows those addresses. I figure if Google and Yahoo want to read their own mail to me to find out what they said, more power to them.

One good thing about Yahoo! being taken over by Verizon is that Yahoo! actually responds if you have something like a mail RBL problem you're trying to fix. Verizon doesn't. But because they're the same company now, it appears that when Yahoo! takes you off their RBL, you're off Verizon's, too. Trying to get off Verizon's RBL directly, on the other hand, is a lost cause. You may as well just get a new IP.

There are both hosted and self-hosted secure messaging portals that you may want to look into. (Most people are better off with a hosted service for liability reasons.) They're somewhat of a drag because the client / patient has to create an account on the portal; but I think people are starting to get resigned to that sort of thing in light of all the breaches in the news every week.

Rich

Last edited:
Oh, and it's not just the internet services tracking you or blocking you. For those that missed the WSJ article yesterday, online merchants are using "fraud detection" companies that track your online behavior to decide whether to allow you to purchase from them or not. Supposedly to prevent fraud, but does open the spectre of "if you don't allow us to track you, we won't let you buy from us". The online companies may, themselves, do more to help restore local businesses than anyone else.

Fair use quote from the article:
Examples of indicators firms use to score shoppers as potential fraudsters, according to people familiar with scoring firms

• Not bothering to compare prices
  • Choosing the fastest shipping option
  • Not checking the store’s return policy
  • Sorting by price and picking the most expensive items
  • Using a proxy server--used to hide your location--when accessing the site
  • Using an email address that doesn’t match the name on your Facebook profile

Link to the article which is paywalled: https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-pa...ter-1524139200?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=5

"Sorting by price and picking the most expensive items"

Well there's one I won't be caught doing!

I also don't usually bother paying extra for fast shipping.

Oh, and it's not just the internet services tracking you or blocking you. For those that missed the WSJ article yesterday, online merchants are using "fraud detection" companies that track your online behavior to decide whether to allow you to purchase from them or not. Supposedly to prevent fraud, but does open the spectre of "if you don't allow us to track you, we won't let you buy from us". The online companies may, themselves, do more to help restore local businesses than anyone else.

Fair use quote from the article:

Link to the article which is paywalled: https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-pa...ter-1524139200?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=5

Does WSJ track whether or not you’ve shopped their competitors before accepting money for their FUD? LOL.

Last edited:
I don’t have FB profile, is that good or bad as far as online merchants go?

Back