What car is right for me?

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
Being tired of all the "what airplane" threads, (Bo is the answer, of course) I'm possibly car shopping soon.

I currently drive a 2006 Mini Cooper S convertible, which I love. Convertible, 6 speed stick, drives like a go-kart handling, but still has a (small) backseat and I can get both a bass (electric) and a guitar in the back with the seats folded down. That said, my warranty company canceled my 2nd extended warranty when the aggregate repair cost hit the current car value (~$6,000). This car has cost the 2 warranty companies in excess of $15K in the 6 years I've owned it. (Bought it used with 23K miles on it. Now has 88K miles.) My car needs an oil pan ($970) and will soon need a clutch ($2600).

Must haves for me: Convertible, stick, sporty. Really like to have: room for guitar(s), won't break the bank on service.

Budget, $35,000ish. New or used, don't really care.

Suggestions?

John

Miata? Idk...I'm not a car guy, but always hear people talk about how fun they are to drive.

Anything with 4 wheels should do the job.

You might get a C7 Corvette (2014+) convertible at the very top of your budget, though probably closer to $40k. I recently bought a '16, absolutely love it. Drives a LOT different than the 05 Mini Cooper S I had a few years ago, but man is it a blast. The power (460hp) is just fantastic. Trunk space in the convertible isn't great, but the coupe has a removable top, and a pretty good size rear hatch. It's a nice compromise, IMHO.

Other than that, in your range and "sporty," I can think of:

1) Miata
2) Mustang
3) Camaro
4) Used Audi S5 (mx will eat you alive, though)
5) Nissan 370
6) Used Porsche Boxster

Oh, yes. I have be able to sit in them. Unfortunately the Miata and Honda S2000 are out. Both great fun but with the top up I don’t fit.

I was going to say Focus RS, but convertible rules that out. Camaro and Mustang are the only options I can think of that have a big enough trunk for a guitar.

I was going to say Focus RS, but convertible rules that out. Camaro and Mustang are the only options I can think of that have a big enough trunk for a guitar.
Do you have any opinions on a Camaro? ;)

I'd probably vote Mustang GT as a first option. Anything with the 5.0L Coyote is stout, and you can pick them up for under $30K all day long. If you want new it'll be closer to $35-40K depending on options. They have about the highest power-to-weight ratio of anything sub-$40K.

Camaros are another option, but I just can't deal with the awful visibility. The trunk opening on the Camaro is laughable, too.

C'mon ladies and gents. No love for a M3 convertible? 2013ish? 414hp, stellar handling and the correct wheels get all the power. I raced Mustangs for years, but I've become a big fan of the M3.

BMW M3, 3
Camaro
Mustang
G37(way cheaper, way used)
Audi TT
Porsche 911, Boxter
Jeep Wrangler :)
Mercedes SLK

Most of these are used, some are new

Get a Jeep.
Jeep-Wrangler-0.jpg

I'm the wrong one to ask. My new ride is a 2015 Cadillac Escalade which I highly recommend you road test one. Don't have to buy but everyone should road test one. Wizz bang stuff to keep the geek happy (more very expensive stuff to break too). I do have a 1993 Corvette Coupe with a six speed if you want something like that. I think I prefer the C4 styling over the later models. The other ride is a 2012 Honda Goldwing.
Then there are the two planes.

I'm boring. Cars don't excite me anymore. I drive a Nissan Sentra. Basic little compact econobox with actually quite a lot of room inside, and a fold down back seat with a massive trunk.

Jeep Grand Cherokee with hemi, currently have a 2015 Overland. Love it.

I'd probably vote Mustang GT as a first option. Anything with the 5.0L Coyote is stout, and you can pick them up for under $30K all day long. If you want new it'll be closer to $35-40K depending on options. They have about the highest power-to-weight ratio of anything sub-$40K.

Camaros are another option, but I just can't deal with the awful visibility. The trunk opening on the Camaro is laughable, too.
I can fit 4 wheels and tires in mine :dunno: The 6th gens are better.

Get a Jeep.
Jeep-Wrangler-0.jpg

My boss suggested this. He's got one. He's also got an '80 Porsche 911 Targa and a 2014 (ish) Porsche twin turbo (but it's not a stick). Not the kind of sporty I want.

This should do all you want, plus alternative fuel..

My grandfather had a Stanley Steamer (not that I remember). He told me when the car was cold, he could lean in and crack the throttle, walk down the street and (careful timing) whistle and the car (now starting to build steam) would roll down to him.

Not convertible are they? If they are and I could afford one I would be first in line.

The original roadster is. I looked, out of my price range.

Panoramic moon roof, paddle shifters, 0 to 60 in under 7 secs.... will climb a steep snowy hill like a billy goat, rides great. YMMV.

Yeah, if I was hustling a real car around the track I'd use paddle shifters. They are quicker. But I really enjoy the stick. And living in central Florida, snowy hills are in short supply. :)

No aspersions on anybody's choice of vehicle, just not what I'm looking for.

Obviously a vette is the easy answer, pick one, anyone, hard to go wrong.

Buuuut, a coworker introduced me to the exomotive "kit" (http://exomotive.com) for the Miata, guess the Miata has a odd like frame that's based on a actual rolling chases called a "roller skate", you take the skate, crate turbo engine, and turn it into one of these beasties

Exomotive-Exocet-XP-1-Leaves.jpg

Or if you might have some curb hopping or beach in your mission profile

gallery-1493655074-exocet.jpg

Of if you don't like showing that much "skin"
Miata-Based-Exomotive-Exocet-1_160819_152736.jpg

Apparently with the light weight, low profile, and a little extra HP this is a street legal car that has real track abilities

Lol, go watch one try to compete on a twisty track

Porsche ..., Boxter

A Porsche with panties?

911 or bust

Last edited:
This does need to be a daily driver for me. So I need a functioning top thought the Miata kits are intriguing.

This does need to be a daily driver for me. So I need a functioning top thought the Miata kits are intriguing.

Well wear a hat and some shades ya sissy ;)

I have a '91 Porsche 964 I could sell you. Would hit all your requirements.

If I did so my wife would probably kill me in my sleep.

Back