Willow Run MD83 crash

Everyone walked away,the pilots decision must have been the right one,

"Above 100 knots, I will abort for engine failure, any fire, airplane unsafe or unable to fly." That is part of every preflight briefing that we do. Sometimes you don't know if the plane will or won't fly until or after rotation speed, which is sometimes a lot higher that V1. Above V1 you are supposed to fly, but if you sense a control issue, it is better to go off the end of the runway at 100 knots decelerating rather than 180 knots accelerating. In this case, it would seem the right decision was made.

He did good. Yeah not supposed to abort after V1 but the PF felt the elevator was going to a problem. Could have ended up worse but it didn't, and everyone walked away safe. Good job Capt!

"Above 100 knots, I will abort for engine failure, any fire, airplane unsafe or unable to fly." That is part of every preflight briefing that we do. Sometimes you don't know if the plane will or won't fly until or after rotation speed, which is sometimes a lot higher that V1. Above V1 you are supposed to fly, but if you sense a control issue, it is better to go off the end of the runway at 100 knots decelerating rather than 180 knots accelerating. In this case, it would seem the right decision was made.
You abort above V1 for an engine failure?

I think I get where he is coming from. We don't reference the "V" terminology, but we do reference a max abort speed calculated based on runway length/gross weight/runway conditions/temp/elevation/etc. The SOP dictates 100 knots being the transition from "low speed" to "high speed" abort. We have about 3 "thou shalt abort above 100 knots" failures, and due to their severity, they might warrant an abort above max abort speed, situation dependant. Unlike bigger jets, most of the time our max abort is our liftoff speed or greater, i.e. unless there is a real short runway or we are real heavy, we don't commonly have a no mans land where max abort is significantly less than liftoff. But in the event there was, and I encountered one of those 3 failures I speak of, I'd consider accepting an overrun (or maybe catching the long field gear on the fly) rather than try to take a seriously wounded and likely unflyable jet into the air.

100 kts is nowhere near V1. 100 kts is the speed used to define high vs. low-speed rejects as 35 AoA said.

In the low-speed range you'll reject for almost any problem. In the high-speed range you reject for only the things that Greg mentioned.

I fly the same airplane as Greg. My personal record, FWIW, is a 165 kts target speed on final, though higher speeds are possible. I've also seen the ground speed approach the 195 kts max tire speed on a number at liftoff.

100 kts is nowhere near V1. 100 kts is the speed used to define high vs. low-speed rejects as 35 AoA said.
Well, that depends on the jet. V1 is around 100 in the Citation, sometimes less if you are light.

I see what you’re saying. The way Greg wrote his post it sounded like they were briefing exceptions to not aborting after V1.

I would think FAR 121.533(e) would apply without question.

Yall Im sorry for the thread drift. Im an Aggie but I know these because my work crush went to Ohio State. Last one

How many buckeyes does it take to change a lightbulb? Only one but he gets three credit hours for it.

Back on topic - its a good study in trusting your gut when you know the rules may lead you down the wrong path. Kudos to the PIC.

Man. Talk about knowing your aircraft and feeling it in the controls. That damaged linkage photo is nasty.

Back