• Apr 28

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • May 5

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • May 12

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Or we could wander up your way sometime. Like you said, if the weather ever decides what it wants to do.

The inch of mixed hail and snow is melted away / disappeared into the air via sublimation today, with the ridiculous wind that has returned.

Yupp, 18g26 just in cross wind component here(KJKJ) where I need to pick my bird like now... no thanks , am staying put.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yupp, 18g26 just in cross wind component here(KJKJ) where I need to pick my bird like now... no thanks , am staying put.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36019G29KT here.

Hey as a side note you know you can turn off that automatic Tapatalk banner in the Tapatalk settings, right? Many people don’t realize it’s in the settings.

For the Tapatalk thing it’s under “Me” on the main page then Settings then Signature. You can turn it all the way off or set a signature line it’ll post to each individual forum you’re subscribed to, if that’s your thing.

Last edited:
We're finally coming down off of 03032G42KT for the last 6hrs. I just called our AWOS. The station id, visibility, ceilings and one other sensor is down LOL!

Snow drifts in front of garage higher than snowblower. Worst part is the snowplow truck is getting stuck. The snow is so wet and over a foot deep. If he stops he's stuck, even with how many tons of sand in the back and diff locked. He's gonna have a late night.

Bummer you can't make it @denverpilot :( It would be cool to fly in to KAPA sometime though!

I can’t tell you what the winds were at 5am at Eisenhower Tunnel, Continental Divide and Vail Pass this morning, but white out and white knuckles were evident. Ram had 4x4 locked in.
Taught a CCW class in Rifle today (sounds ironic - went to Rifle to teach handgun)

I can’t tell you what the winds were at 5am at Eisenhower Tunnel, Continental Divide and Vail Pass this morning, but white out and white knuckles were evident. Ram had 4x4 locked in.
Taught a CCW class in Rifle today (sounds ironic - went to Rifle to teach handgun)

Did the class break for lunch at the Shooter’s Grill?

I updated the spreadsheet. Not sure if leaving Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. My wife can't join so she invited one her pilot friends to go instead and I think she's in as of now.

Bugging me that I can’t go to this today.

Mostly because I sat in an office doing security self-assessments all day.

But hey, we got a 42% on the easiest one. LOL. Smokin’ hot!

Bugging me that I can’t go to this today.

Mostly because I sat in an office doing security self-assessments all day.

But hey, we got a 42% on the easiest one. LOL. Smokin’ hot!
You self-assessed at 42%? I used to think you were hard on other people, but don’t you know it’s okay to cut yourself just a little slack?

You self-assessed at 42%? I used to think you were hard on other people, but don’t you know it’s okay to cut yourself just a little slack?

LOL... I’ve worked for a lot of places that were bigger that did stuff right. This place, we barely have four IT staff... and two of those pull double duty as management.

We’ve been, ummm.. educating... the last three weeks on what their “can I get those documents tomorrow” request actually entailed... six months of nothing but security work, and a massive culture shift that they won’t like.

One security cert they thought “sounded good”, we explained is a two million dollar audit AFTER you hire four people to do the work for a year. Heh. They didn’t think they needed that one anymore after that meeting. :)

bringing this thread back to life as we get closer. so far we have 7 attendees. who else is coming? here is the excel file - https://1drv.ms/x/s!AolRXddSgkButPYdbPzhUJmsSGRx7Q

this is my plan (and @Sinistar have a very similar plan)

Leave Friday AM and try to be there as early as possible
see the sights on friday
Saturday AM, go flying with @Z06_Mir around Mt. Rushmore, KCUT, Devil's tower etc
POA lunch on Saturday
leave Sat / Sunday - all depending on WX.

This afternoon, the Arrow left the ground for the first time since February 1. Count me in for now.

gents (and ladies) , I am gonna have to pull out of this one. some KPAP hit the fan at work that has gotten me fairly distracted and definitely wont pass IMSAFE. don't want be a PIC with this frame of mind. WX doesn't look very promising over the Dakotas this weekend either :(

Weather looks like garbage especially on Friday. But hey, at least it's not snowing I guess.
It still may snow. That’s why it’s called May. It May snow. It May rain. It May be the end of times.

I don’t know if this date will work for anyone (myself included), but on May 22 there is an FAAST seminar at KRAP which will cover a ton of interesting local flying topics, such as radio calls and position reports, activities around Mt. Rushmore and Devils Tower during the summer tourist season, and so on. Knowing the language that the tour pilots will be using in that area sounds like an important part of having good situational awareness when flying in the Black Hills, so I am thinking about going.

To find the details:

Go to: https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/events/EventList.aspx
Enter this in “Select Number” box: GL2783038

I think that may be a bit of a sleeper. From what the FSDO told me (We do air tours) it's mostly going to be how can helicopters get along with fixed wing and each other near Mt. Rushmore.

I think that may be a bit of a sleeper. From what the FSDO told me (We do air tours) it's mostly going to be how can helicopters get along with fixed wing and each other near Mt. Rushmore.
Thanks for the warning. Could still be quite useful information, but it’s a long trip on a weeknight for a short drink of water.

Thanks for the warning. Could still be quite useful information, but it’s a long trip on a weeknight for a short drink of water.

I think some of the information will be useful. One of my coworkers is going because I'll be out of town. I'm happy to post information from it when we get it. It's an odd area in general because the helicopters have LOAs that allow them to fly a lot lower than we can as fixed wing. They can be 6,000 feet and 1/4 mile away from Mt. Rushmore (maybe even less, not 100% sure) where we have to be 7,700 or 1/2 mile away. When we make position reports the helicopter guys will snap back and say they're in the area and watch out. It's a little hostile and I expect this meeting to reflect that.

I am in jeopardy of making the trip too. If you saw the bad fuel post I made a couple of days ago and the resultant plugged fuel injector it was de ja vue today. Flew back from Davenport to Albion and 2 hours and 20 minutes of flying and had another injector / flow issue resulting in an over heating jug. The other fuel tank, different injector but same fuel source - KBVN. Probably will clean all six injectors, lines, strainers/screens and drain the five sumps - possibly the left tank also. Doubt if I can get that done before Saturday.

I'm out. Knee replacement is Monday, and I need the weekend to get the house and everything set up.

curses, foiled again.

Yeah, I am out too. Ceilings her at 4000 but scattered at 2000 and coming down to 800. KRAP looks way worse. Bummer :(

I think I am going to start a thread of the probability of flying.

Back