Flying Camper

MikeS

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MikeS
Somebody came up with a design, Canadian if I'm not mistaken, with an extra big fuselage that would accomodate two people sleeping in the back plus supplies for trips out into the bush. I think it was tricycle gear and had a big engine and was about the size length and width of a C-210. It was slow but capable of its mission if I recall correctly, yet I can't find a thing about it. It showed up at some of the airshows, perhaps even Oshkosh. This was about six years ago or possibly more. It seemed to be a design in progress (what isn't?) but was forging ahead but seems to have disappeared. Does anyone remember the name of it, or the manufacturer, or anything at all? I can't find anything, looking at Canadian experimentals.

I'm thinking it was Experimental but the more I think about it it might have been an attempt at Certification . . . in which case I can understand how and why it's disappeared. If I could get a name or anything at all on it I can take it from there. Thanks.

I know what you are talking about, I might have a picture of it somewhere.

Probably not but close: Seabird seeker?

001159677.jpg

There is this one, the Explorer II. There is also a twin that is a lot bigger but similar.
0733224.jpg

Years ago. They had a light sport,built for camping,don’t think it ever really made it.

......and don’t forget the Grumman AA5’s - folded down rear seats give 7’ of stretch out room in back.

Years ago. They had a light sport,built for camping,don’t think it ever really made it.

I believe you're thinking of the EcoFlyer. If I remember correctly there was a fatal accident involving the prototype.

IMG_0011.JPG

There's also the MVP aero, if you're into PowerPoint airplanes:

upload_2018-4-19_8-23-50.png

The worst night I ever spent camping was while moose hunting and two us us slept in my 180. No issue with space, just incredibly cold considering the outside temps and crazy humid inside in the AM. That can't be good for the instruments and radios. Never again. Tents are way better.

Jimmy Buffett's now retired Albatross. I remember seeing it at OSH one year.

View attachment 62109

View attachment 62110

View attachment 62111

Fell in love with the Albatross years and years ago. Dreamt that it would be so cool to have a dive/fish charter in the Carib using an Albatross. Then I read Buffett's books "A Pirate Looks At 40"/"...50" and dreamt even more about it. Now that this land locked pirate wannabe is looking at 60, still would be cool.

Back