Flying at 40?

Flatman6

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flatman6
I literally just joined your forum after poking around for a bit. I am 39 and I have had passion for aviation my whole life. Lots of family history there, which I won't get into now. To be very direct, I have 2 questions. One, is it reasonable to start a career in aviation at my age? Two, is there federal financing or grants that are available for completing commercial pilot training, eg. fafsa, student loans, etc.? I know that I will get a lot of pushback for putting myself into that kind of debt this late in life, but it would be making a dream come true for me that I should have pursued earlier. Thanks for any and all of the wisdom you can provide.

P.S.- Thinking of ATP so any info there would be appreciated too. Thanks.

What’s to know??

If you have a clean history with booze/drugs, are healthy, have lots of money, time, and dedication, you’re in.

PS... I’m a captain for a major airline.
I recommend it to everyone as a hobby, but nobody as a career.

Welcome to the forum,you have to work the numbers for yourself. You need to figure the cost to benefit,of your new career choice. In aviation the starting pay is not very lucrative.

Yeah, just crawl up and be prepared to be euthanized with television and alcohol. Any possibility in your life ended after you turned 30. The book is written, just do whatever you do, sit on the couch and watch life pass you by.

Welcome! Enjoy the madness of POA.

So 39, and the only flying gig that has mandatory retirement is Part 121, the airlines, and that's 65, but other flying jobs don't. If you have the passion and patience for the training go for it. Even if you don't make it to the airlines there are many other flying jobs.

As for loans/financing I'm sure there are, but not knowledgeable enough to comment.

Last edited:
It’s can be done, assuming you’re medically/physically qualified. It can be financed, too. The tough part financially is living the lifestyle your accustomed to now on a poverty-level income until you’re qualified to make it to an airline and having to pay your new debt off as well.

Some keys to that are being flexible in where you can live and work. There are jobs out there, you just have to go where they are. The pay only comes with time.

I missed the correct early career path too...my head's been in the clouds since I was 9 (hence the handle). squandered too many opportunities, I guess, which I sometimes regret... But, thankfully I found a way to still make flying a big part of my life for which I am grateful... So with all that said... If you really want it, close your eyes and take the leap...there is nothing worse than being 60ish and saying, "Gee, if I had only...."

I'm not a professional pilot, though a close family member is; make sure/sure you want this - get a realistic idea of what the day-to-day, real world of work is like; if you're hauling self-loading ballast (passengers) for money, it's a rigid, bureaucratic, and constrained kind of flying. With some moments of beauty and job satisfaction, too. But the mob, in the guise of the FAA and uber-safety, have sucked much of the magic from commercial aviation. It's certainly safe, and that was/is the goal for the $$$ and votes. . .

There are other flying jobs besides the majors and regionals - more interesting and challenging, if not always as well paid.

One quote I've heard from family and other professionals - "The last time I really had fun flying, I paid for it myself".

Better to start flying a Tampico, then a Cirrus, the a Grumman, and make some really satirical videos along the way.

One of my very, very few regrets in my life is that I didn't apply to be an astronaut. NASA was looking a few years ago, and I actually thought I had a decent shot, having a Phd in bioscience and some experience in aerospace. But I was one year from the age deadline and talked myself out of it.

Welcome aboard.

All wit and sarcasm aside, it absolutely can be done. I think what the airlines are looking for is
1) a pulse
2) ATP
3) 1500 hours.

They'd like to see some multi-engine time too. That's a lot. If you quit your current job and flew 40 hours a week, it would take you 9 months to get that time in. I don't advocate quitting unless you have the ability to support yourself plus 100k for flying time. Obviously at this rate, you'd be buying your own plane. On the plus side, by flying 200 hours a month, the "fixed" cost side of flying becomes almost negligible as part of the hourly cost.

Informally I've heard that they are looking for you to be great in the IFR world and they will teach you the rest. I've also seen programs (JetBlue and ???) for trainees, but I think this is putting you into school that you accumulate debt for? I don't know, can someone else chime in?

There is a thread linked above where a guy in his 60s got a job flying as an FO. It's a great time if you want to do it, there is more demand for pilots than any time in recent history.

One of my very, very few regrets in my life is that I didn't apply to be an astronaut. NASA was looking a few years ago, and I actually thought I had a decent shot, having a Phd in bioscience and some experience in aerospace. But I was one year from the age deadline and talked myself out of it.

https://astronauts.nasa.gov/content/faq.htm

Actually no age requirement...never too late. John Glenn did it, I'm sure you're in better health that he was.

Haven't you heard? Life begins at 50. So you need to wait 10 more years. (NOT!)

Can it be done, yes, if you have the money, and time to get the experience.
Your career will be somewhat limited in the airline world because of the 65 age limit.
There are lots of other flying careers that don't require an ATP that can be very satisfying. Tons of corporate jobs only require a Commercial, so that can get you in the seat a bit earlier.
Right now I hear there's a bit of a boom in the industry, that will change sometime to a bust, it runs in cycles just like the economy.
Like any career, there are good parts and bad parts, and you will have to make some sacrifices in your personal and family life for any flying career.
Good luck, with whatever you decide.

My personal opinion is you have to make the decision yourself and take the online advice with a grain of salt. No one knows your current position in life like YOU do. As I am sure you are aware, there are disgruntled folks in every career field. Stay away from airlinepilotcentral and airlinepilotforums. Do your own research, feel it out for yourself, etc. Even if you did make a career switch - it doesn't mean you are stuck in that specific career (unless you have a degree/skill that isn't marketable outside of aviation - which, unfortunately is not uncommon amongst pilots).

The grass isn't always greener, although many folks love to tell themselves this.

What does this mean? Is it different than just using the word sure? I noticed you do this sometimes in your posts and haven’t figured out what it is you’re trying to convey.
Emphasis. Certainty. Sort of like using all caps, but without the implied shouting.

Cant be done, sorry. If youre not flying pre-40, you cant get a pilots license. Its FAA regulations.

And definitely stay out of THIS thread:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/when-dreams-come-true-long.79490/

It’s freaking AWESOME that Tapatalk defaulted to THIS graphic for that thread...

c2a6a6e0a31e540342a7c4f65b97ce08.jpg

You are experiencing POA's endless wit and charm, of course it can be done, do your homework.

Endless what?! Wait a sec, someone send me a copy of that memo again. I missed something.

I talked myself out of applying for ATC for the same reason long ago. I think I would have enjoyed it, looking back. Not a major regret but definitely one of those “wouldn’t have been anything to lose... why did I do that?” memories in life.

Yea one of my biggest regrets was not applying to be lead ice cream cone maker at Dairy Queen. With a degree in Creamistry and a specialization in Swirlography, I really thought I had a chance. They gave the position to a girl with a cute voice and nice butt. Oh well. Now a days...well...now a days I reminisce about it in my Mclaren P1 as I spread the grey poupon onto this AJ’s deli sandwich (it wasn’t a cheap sandwich by the way). This is a true story.

Wow...I’ve come a long way.

I literally just joined your forum after poking around for a bit. I am 39 and...

That's the problem with this place. Too many kids in their 30s hanging about on thread corners. ;)

(Never a better time to get started than now!)

I literally just joined your forum after poking around for a bit. I am 39 and I have had passion for aviation my whole life. Lots of family history there, which I won't get into now. To be very direct, I have 2 questions. One, is it reasonable to start a career in aviation at my age? Two, is there federal financing or grants that are available for completing commercial pilot training, eg. fafsa, student loans, etc.? I know that I will get a lot of pushback for putting myself into that kind of debt this late in life, but it would be making a dream come true for me that I should have pursued earlier. Thanks for any and all of the wisdom you can provide.

P.S.- Thinking of ATP so any info there would be appreciated too. Thanks.
1) It is absolutely reasonable, if you have the means and support to do so. You may want to consider training part time while you're still earning a living, at least initially, to determine whether it's right for you.
2) You can get loans for just about anything. That said, unless you wore the uniform for Uncle Sam, there isn't government money for flight training, unless it's a federal loan somehow associated with a college degree program.

ATP the flight school is as good (or bad) as any of the other ab-initio flight schools out there. I would recommend locally getting your private pilot first before even considering one of their programs.

. They gave the position to a girl with a cute voice and nice butt. Oh well. Now a days...well...now a days I reminisce about it in my Mclaren P1 ...

Eman wanted me to ask if he could borrow the Mclaren. He has a date with some ice cream chick and wants to impress. :)

We bought some property from a guy back in the 90’s. He stopped by the other month to visit, about 70 years old now. The more surprising thing he mentioned was that he was pretty deep into flying lessons, started a year or 2 back. He liked the flying, and wasn’t even sure if he would ever take a private check ride.

Sadly his long time wife died a handful of years back too. He did have a friend with him when he stopped, she happened to be a female friend. Maybe he was out to impress her with tales of the sky?

I hope so. I’m planning to begin PPL soon and I’m 60...
This thread should be titled, "flying career at 40?" I keep mistaking it for a PPL @ 40 too.

Back