Southwest oopsie - ‘woman partially sucked out of window’

Obviously a horrible event. But seriously...some of these news articles...WTF. Read one from the New York Times...oh my...the media constantly presents this stereotype that airliners "fall from the sky" once an engine is lost. The pilot "stabilized the plane" as it was in a spiral of DEATH!

Obviously a horrible event. But seriously...some of these news articles...WTF. Read one from the New York Times...oh my...the media constantly presents this stereotype that airliners "fall from the sky" once an engine is lost. The pilot "stabilized the plane" as it was in a spiral of DEATH!
Yeah I know it’s nauseating. I’m sure there was a significant amount of drag on the number one side, but I guarantee if you asked the pilot(s)* they would say that it was nothing beyond their capabilities.

*another thing the news articles don’t relay is the teamwork by the FO included. I always feel bad for them during accidents like these, as they never get the credit they too deserve.

The media always refers to it as The Pilot, as though it’s singular.

Articles are now referring to the FAA saying they are evaluating it against their “already pending” possible AD against the CFM engines after the previous event.

Whether they had truly announced they were pursuing an AD prior to this, I don’t know, but the astute will still notice the direction of the PR wind changing as it blows forth from the regulators..

Articles are now referring to the FAA saying they are evaluating it against their “already pending” possible AD against the CFM engines after the previous event.

Whether they had truly announced they were pursuing an AD prior to this, I don’t know, but the astute will still notice the direction of the PR wind changing as it blows forth from the regulators..
https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=FAA-2017-0313-0001
You can even read all the airlines opinion/comments on it, including Southwest. They wanted 18 months to comply versus the proposed 12.

2 very similar incidents in 3 years, and this time with a fatality. SWA might have the portion of it's fleet with these engines grounded very soon.

Amazing how fast these threads digress.

Not really. Not going to be news again on this one for a while.

We could discuss why it seems the flight crew didn’t know for a long time from the back that someone had been sucked into a hole, but they were busy and the cabin crew was busy, and we’ll just see another NTSB comment that communication between the two needs to be better.

Which has been mentioned now in almost all of the more recent incidents and accidents.

Seems like there is some sort of opportunity for improvement there. Not sure what it is though, or how it would work in practice.

I’m thinkin’ cameras are the next step for crew info on airliners. Not much weight and could be mounted to allow some sort of view of most of the airframe and interior.

Yeah I know it’s nauseating. I’m sure there was a significant amount of drag on the number one side, but I guarantee if you asked the pilot(s)* they would say that it was nothing beyond their capabilities.

*another thing the news articles don’t relay is the teamwork by the FO included. I always feel bad for them during accidents like these, as they never get the credit they too deserve.

The media always refers to it as The Pilot, as though it’s singular.

It’s odd, I don’t find a single article on how much of a hero the 2016 Captain was but the Internet goes crazy over this particular Captain???

If this article in USA Today is accurate, a major leap in faith, the fatality was truly a freak accident given the location of her seat relative to the Fan. It also mentions a blade inspection AD Notice from the FAA.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see further investigation reveal a window defect given the aft location of the window from the fan.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...0-faa-orders-fan-blade-inspections/531422002/

Cheers

Last edited:
Any chance we could change the title of this thread. I can see in a few years some smart lawyer pulling information from here.

It’s odd, I don’t find a single article on how much of a hero the 2016 Captain was but the Internet goes crazy over this particular Captain???

I’m sure gender is playing a role to a very large degree but after the lavish praise heaped on Sully and in this modern social media age with its thirst for celebs to worship, I expect to see more such hero titles bestowed in cases like this.

But I will say the same thing about her that I said about Sully and other such pilots. She did what she was trained to do, paid to do, and expected to do. No more, no less.

I still laugh at the mouth breather moronic passengers who were so overcome with terror that they took time to make videos and post them on social media.

Any chance we could change the title of this thread. I can see in a few years some smart lawyer pulling information from here.

Might be an opportunity for POA “Experts” to be called as expert witnesses for exhorbitant fees.

Cheers

I’m sure gender is playing a role to a very large degree but after the lavish praise heaped on Sully and in this modern social media age with its thirst for celebs to worship, I expect to see more such hero titles bestowed in cases like this.

But I will say the same thing about her that I said about Sully and other such pilots. She did what she was trained to do, paid to do, and expected to do. No more, no less.

I still laugh at the mouth breather moronic passengers who were so overcome with terror that they took time to make videos and post them on social media.
The pilot did a great job, good for her she deserves the credit, as does the entire flight crew. On the other hand, I would expect any captain to do exactly what was done here and done it just as well, this is why they train them, and pay them what they do. I think the incidences with the Hudson crash, this, or even the Delta flight yesterday, show us the training does work, and how valuable, good, experienced pilots are.

It also reinforces why we still have and need an actual person in the cockpit. The ability to assess the situation, fly, communicate, and coordinate all of these things is way beyond what any computer can do at this point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah I know it. If we only knew the truth, I’m sure the FO is just fine not having his or her name plastered all over the web. But still, it’s the point of the matter...

I think the big part is how absolutely calm she is in the ATC recordings. There wasn't a hint of panic in her voice, almost like she handles this kind of thing every day.

The pilot did a great job, good for her she deserves the credit, as does the entire flight crew. On the other hand, I would expect any captain to do exactly what was done here and done it just as well, this is why they train them, and pay them what they do. I think the incidences with the Hudson crash, this, or even the Delta flight yesterday, show us the training does work, and how valuable, good, experienced pilots are.

Agreed, and she'd probably tell you the same thing.

But seriously...some of these news articles...WTF.
Yes, for some reason the media likes to think that airplanes are just hurdling balls of metal in the air with pilots wweating bullets barely holding it together. Everyone always complains about how stupid the average person is, but the media definitely caters to that and perpetuates it

teamwork by the FO included
I was just thinking the same thing yesterday actually!

The pilot did a great job, good for her she deserves the credit, as does the entire flight crew. On the other hand, I would expect any captain to do exactly what was done here and done it just as well, this is why they train them, and pay them what they do
Totally agree with you, a (nonpilot) friend of mine texted me the news yesterday, and was really impressed with how skilled this particular pilot was landing a plane that was "falling" out of the sky. I think I burst his bubble a little bit when I told him that really any US airline pilot would probably have been able to land that thing thanks to their training

Yes, for some reason the media likes to think that airplanes are just hurdling balls of metal in the air with pilots wweating bullets barely holding it together. Everyone always complains about how stupid the average person is, but the media definitely caters to that and perpetuates it

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday actually!

Totally agree with you, a (nonpilot) friend of mine texted me the news yesterday, and was really impressed with how skilled this particular pilot was landing a plane that was "falling" out of the sky. I think I burst his bubble a little bit when I told him that really any US airline pilot would probably have been able to land that thing thanks to their training
Another thing non pilots seem to miss is that commercial passenger planes are all capable of flying decently, and are capable of performing all normal flight operations with one engine. They may be a little slower, and have reduced climb rates, but they are far far from falling out of the sky, barring other catastrophic damage.

This is the reason the newer twin engine planes are now allowed to fly long haul over water, when the initial requirement was three engines or more (I realize there are a few other certification requirements for this). A modern twin engine plane can fly at least half way across the Pacific one engine safely. Getting from NYC to Philledelphia was never in question.

And meanwhile a Delta A330 engine caught fire just after takeoff yesterday & made it back into ATL still aflame...

The media wants everyone to think all pilots are Ted Striker from Airplane.

e0485bc5b2bf90321770838198aa7cce.jpg

Last edited:
Are we really equating landing dead stick from a relatively low altitude on the Hudson River to landing one engine out on a very adequate runway?

Yeah you do have a point. Losing a fan blade, and subsequent loss of pressurization due to engine fragments puncturing the pressure vessel is not only regularly practiced in the simulator, its something you might experience from time to time as a line pilot with Southwest. :D

Are we really equating landing dead stick from a relatively low altitude on the Hudson River to landing one engine out on a very adequate runway?
Yes because the plane was " falling" out of the sky.

I saw an interview with one of the passengers on CNN last night. He was telling his story about as they were going down of trying to get an internet connection so he could contact his family just in case the worst happened. But that he was having trouble holding his credit card and entering the numbers so he could gain access to the onboard WiFi service. Eventually he gave up figuring once they were low enough his signal would get out.

Granted, he was scared, and I would likely have been also, but it just came across as so ridiculous.

Last edited:
I've heard that the captain took the time to talk to each and every passenger after the landing. People legitimately thought they were going to die, and tragically, one did. Says a lot that she did that to try to calm nerves and mitigate the trauma.

The lady defines grace under pressure...or depressurization, as it were. I'm liking her even more now. :)

Back