Clear Prop! - Anyone ever have a response?

I was the first plane and when I yelled 'clear' and fired up, I noticed a blur moving from the right side of my plane going across in front of my prop. When he came out on the other side, I realized it was about a 5 year old kid and he was headed straight toward a Chipmunk taxiing in. There was a guy on the taxiway directing traffic with big orange batons and he literally swung and knocked the kid down, saving his life.

Dang Jack, good story but everyone's nightmare:eek::eek::eek::eek:

here's your clear prop.....o_O

hq-prop-dp-3x3x3-clear-big001.jpg

“Clear Prop”

That sounds like a command from a crew member. If you didn’t comply and got torn up then you weren’t complying with a crew member instruction or command.

When I announce “Clear Prop” I look around the entire aircraft as best I can including behind if I can. I tend to wait around 3 seconds prior to start regardless.

Last edited:
I don't shout "clear prop" too loudly. I want to save some lung capacity to really belt out "Airspeed alive!" :D

Of course, I do it as a courtesy, but a really good scan around the aircraft is probably more effective at keeping people safe.

Absolutely! I always make eye contact if a person is nearby before I call out. Also, I wait several seconds after calling out before pushing the button. Too many say 'clear prop' and don't give anyone a chance to get clear. When I start my plane where people are about, I usually have an audience.

That's because it has a proper engine.

:D

Dang it! Is this NEW? You guys agreed to save lung capacity for ATITPPA!:confused::confused::eek::p

Why does everyone have such diminished lung capacity?

It’s not like y’all live here where we’re all O2 deprived standing on the ground ... :)

What I hate is yelling "clear prop," starting up, then having a pilot friend drive up, get out, then wander over expecting me to open the door and chat - while the engine is running and the prop is spinning. Dude... really?

What I hate is yelling "clear prop," starting up, then having a pilot friend drive up, get out, then wander over expecting me to open the door and chat - while the engine is running and the prop is spinning. Dude... really?

There was a time when this was routine, as was loading or unloading passengers with the engine running. In a high-wing Cessna with a strut between the people and the prop, I don't see much problem, but I guess there must have been incidents because now people tell me it's not safe.

There was a time when this was routine, as was loading or unloading passengers with the engine running. In a high-wing Cessna with a strut between the people and the prop, I don't see much problem, but I guess there must have been incidents because now people tell me it's not safe.

It's safe.. 99.9% of the time. I think our risk tolerance has decreased, for better or worse. And lawsuits have increased. Personally, I'd rather not take that risk, especially when the vast majority of airplanes have starters.

I feel sorry for folks who fail to understand safety systems. My pre-job safety brief is simple and to the point: I’ve been hauled to the hospital and I’ve hauled people to the hospital. I don’t need to do either ever again. Let’s do things right and watch out for each other.

‘Clear prop’, acknowledging crossings, and even reading back clearances are just parts of safety systems and watching out for the other guy.

OTOH I’m still wrestling with turning on the landing light for taxi but I’m slowly getting there.

I'm a big proponent of all lights on when operating near the airport. Had a CFI that was flying with a student who was killed in a midair at CRQ. Got hit by a mooney coming into the pattern.

I'm a big proponent of all lights on when operating near the airport. Had a CFI that was flying with a student who was killed in a midair at CRQ. Got hit by a mooney coming into the pattern.

Me too. In fact, mine are all on for the full duration of the flight. LEDs last a loooong time and have very little amp draw.

Me too. In fact, mine are all on for the full duration of the flight. LEDs last a loooong time and have very little amp draw.

All my lights are on all the time, I need LED lights... sigh

Not all passengers are equal. I mean it takes a few steps to get around the strut, and if some person decided it was a short cut to walk to the or around the nose of the plane...

If the pilot was helping someone else out on the other side...etc. distracted and didn't notice?

To me it makes perfect sense, since a propellor is not very visible as it spins. People not used to airplanes, airports, and that have a lifetime of "they wouldn't LET you walk around the front of the plane if it was dangerous" lives, can't be counted on doing the smart thing. All it takes is a second or two of not paying attention. No down side then in turning off the engine whenever boarding or deplaning.

Was just reading the comments on the story of how on that recent flight, most of the passengers were wearing the oxygen masks wrong, only over the mouth...in the comments some people postulated that it was all just "probably overkill and unecessary anyway" since nothing BAD happened to the people using the masks wrong.

Not a thought to if the plane had had to stay up in higher altitudes for a longer time, or just a general idea that it was all just for show.

I was being a prick one day and yelled "Clear prop!" while the mechanic was trying to get the cowling off the C-172 I was supposed to be flying. (The starter solenoid had failed).
Boy, did I ever get a response!

That kind of reminds me of the time my dad was having a hard time starting up an old truck and had his head under the hood. And my mom being all prankster laid on the horn.

That was just a few years before the divorce.

So, I just finished pulling the prop on the Cub through 5 or 6 times, I walk around, reach in and turn the mags on, and shut the fuel off.
I then stick my left foot in front of the tire and grab the prop with one hand, and SHOUT "clear prop!" , pull it down and it fires right up.
I zip back and turn the fuel on, then diddle with the throttle so it keeps running.
I look over to my right and one of the airport owners is laughing hysterically.
Then it hit me. The only person who could possibly be hurt by the prop was me. Now I'm laughing hysterically.
Sometimes it doesn't pay to look at some of the things we do with a logical eye.

BTW: I had a spectacular flight today. Sunny, calm, warm. Flew as low as I could and followed roads to go out and back.

Back