G-LOC

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Light and Sporty Guy
We'll have fun, fun, fun, 'til daddy takes the centrifuge away...
Lost it at 3.6

One tough esso bee. "What just happened?"

I was in a SF-260, having a blast, but thought my foot was caught under the left rudder pedal; ex-Navy jock in the right seat told me to look at the G meter; Oh. . .

Not a big fan either. Did the 7.5G profile prior to starting initial Hornet training, and went back a number of years later for the 9G profile before I started flying the F-16. Strangely enough, the 9G profile was much less painful. Small part of it was probably having years of tolerance built in by then (not that it exactly works that way, physiologically speaking), but that 30 degree seat cant in the F-16 is actually pretty helpful. Either way, the 'fuge is more painful than the real thing.....onset rate is much quicker, and sustained G is probably a little unrealistic for most scenarios (other than maybe low altitude in a light Viper or something). Both times I had significant "g measles" afterwards, whereas that is much more uncommon in the actual jet, really only on the most aggressive flights (like extended BFM/ACM), and even then, it is normally only on my right arm that is holding the stick.....in the fuge, it was like all over my body, arms/legs/torso/hands/etc.

I have never done a centrifuge, but I got cherry eye after a couple sprint car rides....well... sprint car flips, actually.

Back