Yahoo is part of OATH

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
What the heck is OATH? And is this legit? They apparently want permission to read my email and sell my info.

When I bring up Yahoo Mail using Chrome, I get this:
upload_2018-4-18_9-2-34.png

Ah, beat me to it; was just signing in and saw this ********. Been YM user since '95. I think this is coming to an end, the "terms of use" are ridiculous and 100% one-sided.

Anyone have experience with setting up a mail server?

Ah, beat me to it; was just signing in and saw this ********. Been YM user since '95. I think this is coming to an end, the "terms of use" are ridiculous and 100% one-sided.

Anyone have experience with setting up a mail server?
Yes. I've set up and run many mail servers over many decades. And I despise google. Yet I use google. That's how much it sucks to do yourself.

Yes. I've set up and run many mail servers over many decades. And I despise google. Yet I use google. That's how much it sucks to do yourself.

Having done this, beware. Early in our companies history, I was the IT head (along with about a dozen other hats). I had set up a linux based email server and we had an Exchange server inside the firewall that I was trying to get to relay through the linux server (long story as to why that seemed like a good idea. For all you real IT professionals (@jesse, @denverpilot), try not to laugh to hard). One of my employees (sharp engineer and a pilot) told me "I fixed it." I went to look and he'd opened it up to relay any incoming email. I promptly shut that down. When I went to look at the logs, it had taken less than 15 minutes for spammers to find the server and start spamming through it. It took roughly an hours for them to give up after I shut it off. This was in 2005. I'm quite sure it's much worse now.

John

Having done this, beware. Early in our companies history, I was the IT head (along with about a dozen other hats). I had set up a linux based email server and we had an Exchange server inside the firewall that I was trying to get to relay through the linux server (long story as to why that seemed like a good idea. For all you real IT professionals (@jesse, @denverpilot), try not to laugh to hard). One of my employees (sharp engineer and a pilot) told me "I fixed it." I went to look and he'd opened it up to relay any incoming email. I promptly shut that down. When I went to look at the logs, it had taken less than 15 minutes for spammers to find the server and start spamming through it. It took roughly an hours for them to give up after I shut it off. This was in 2005. I'm quite sure it's much worse now.

John
Yep. Running an email server properly is a full time job.

Apart from whether you're competent to run the server, be aware that most ISPs these days block the SMTP port as well as most other ports that are used for services like mail, http, etc. So unless your server is running on a company machine (and basically, unless, you're the IT person at the company or have permission from said person), DIY solutions are almost never viable now. I last had a usable mail server on my home Linux box sometime circa 2009. Currently I can only send/receive mail within the local network.

I've been using Yahoo Mail for years and yes, I got that OATH email too. Have no idea where they're headed, but it will likely not be good for users. As someone said, you aren't paying so you're the product, not the customer. :(

Yep. Running an email server properly is a full time job.
That's news to me. I'm gearing up as we speak to send out 1000 emails a day, which after getting all the "white list" stuff sorted out will go up to 10,000 per day. All automated. The only thing I have to do manually is sort through all the bounce backs, which my programmer will write an algo for as soon as I learn each mail server's protocol and can establish a trend.

That's news to me. I'm gearing up as we speak to send out 1000 emails a day, which after getting all the "white list" stuff sorted out will go up to 10,000 per day. All automated. The only thing I have to do manually is sort through all the bounce backs, which my programmer will write an algo for as soon as I learn each mail server's protocol and can establish a trend.
Not all of us can do 1500 miles cross country solos. But, I’m sure this time you aren’t exaggerating reality.

After 10 years of running my own inbound server for personal email I gave up and switched to Google, I was losing the spam race badly.
I only allow domestic IPs. Anything else gets blocked. I figured if a Russian or a Chinaman wanted to do business with me bad enough, they could call the 800 number.

Hi.
I was able to get a hold of Yahoo tech support? 1844 444 0101, private company, Globalized resolution? in Western Virginia? and someone with heavy accent by the name Jacob? answered. I asked him if I can get temporary access, to retrieve my old Emails, without agreeing to the new Privacy rules, and I was told that, there is no way to get in without agreeing, but they can get it for me for a fee. They are are private company that provides tech support for Yahoo, and they can provide tech support for the next 2 years?
It sounds to me like blackmail?
It sounds like the someone way up should look into this.
Has anyone else tried to contact them and what were the results?
Does any one know the number for the Yahoo Central office? They may not know what is going on?

If you want an email provider that isn't going to read your email and sell all your data....I highly recommend https://protonmail.com/.

With Protonmail, you probably won't survive WW3. But your email will.

Hi.
I was able to get a hold of Yahoo tech support? 1844 444 0101, private company, Globalized resolution? in Western Virginia? and someone with heavy accent by the name Jacob? answered. I asked him if I can get temporary access, to retrieve my old Emails, without agreeing to the new Privacy rules, and I was told that, there is no way to get in without agreeing, but they can get it for me for a fee. They are are private company that provides tech support for Yahoo, and they can provide tech support for the next 2 years?
It sounds to me like blackmail?
It sounds like the someone way up should look into this.
Has anyone else tried to contact them and what were the results?
Does any one know the number for the Yahoo Central office? They may not know what is going on?
Not blackmail, extortion.

If you want an email provider that isn't going to read your email and sell all your data....I highly recommend https://protonmail.com/.

With Protonmail, you probably won't survive WW3. But your email will.

Thanks for the suggestion. The encryption, the "about" story, etc all sound very good.

But I wonder how long their operation can last, after reading this page:

Your donation will help us add capacity and continue to develop ProtonMail as free and open source software. It is only through the support of the community that we are able to continue providing ProtonMail to people around the world.
My concern is that changing my personal email account is no small matter - among other things, the email address is used as the login ID for many accounts. I think I should switch from Yahoo, but where? I only want to do it once, so I'd love to find a service that will last 20+ years. And I'm willing to pay.

Last edited:
So you're one of the spammers that make life miserable for IT managers?

So you're one of the spammers that make life miserable for IT managers?
All opt-in with immediate removal from any further communication. I rarely get any unsubscribes. I try to run a very clean operation. I hate SPAM just as much as the next guy.

My concern is that changing my personal email account is no small matter - among other things, the email address is used as the login ID for many accounts. I think I should switch from Yahoo, but where? I only want to do it once, so I'd love to find a service that will last 20+ years.

Buy your own domain, then you don't need to worry about who actually provides the email service behind the domain as you can rather simply change it to point to another mail provider.

I’m an IT. Idiot Tecnologically. Am I reading this right? They will access the ‘content’ of your emails? Not just who you are sending to and receiving from?

Yahoo has been well past their peak and on a downhill skid for a long time.

Most folks using YahooGroups have moved off to groups.io and they have a tool to do it even. LOL.

This ain’t good. Yahoo ain’t gonna be the last. It’s been a nice ride for free but I’m willing to pay for secure service now.
If you're on one of the more well known freebie mail servers, your mail is being scanned for keywords that the provider can target their advertisers with. That's how they derive part of their revenue. It's been going on since the internet was a baby. If there's still such a thing as a Mom & Pop ISP in your neck of the woods, your best bet is to hook up with them and let them provide you with mail service. You'll pay for it, but at least nobody will be scanning your emails. Either that or run you own server from your house. Ton's of people are doing that also.

If you're on one of the more well known freebie mail servers, your mail is being scanned for keywords that the provider can target their advertisers with. That's how they derive part of their revenue. It's been going on since the internet was a baby. If there's still such a thing as a Mom & Pop ISP in your neck of the woods, your best bet is to hook up with them and let them provide you with mail service. You'll pay for it, but at least nobody will be scanning your emails. Either that or run you own server from your house. Ton's of people are doing that also.

Didn’t know that it’s been going on all this time. Scanning for keywords to target advertising doesn’t bother me. I know what I want and not want to buy. But if they can pick through my mail to get hints on what they think I can be conned into buying then they can pick through it for other ‘stuff.’ I can make my own mind up on that to. That of course is in the news, but I had no idea they were getting right in there with the stuff between Dear and Yours Truly.

Although I still have an email server online, I moved most of my traffic to Fastmail a couple of years ago. Works well. Not encrypted at rest, but also not scanning the email for ads.

Hi.
Yes, they were scanning incoming messages, for keywords, but now they want access to read, and use all your data, and target / link you, give others your Email, to target you directly, huge difference. See below.

If you're on one of the more well known freebie mail servers, your mail is being scanned for keywords that the provider can target their advertisers with.

From Yahoo:
>>This includes: analyzing content and information when you use our services (including emails, instant messages, posts, photos, attachments, and other communications), linking your activity on other sites and apps with information we have about you,..<<

They’re essentially just saying they’re months behind in telling you they’re as bad as Zuckerberg and don’t have a life sized animatronic robot to send to Congressional hearings. LOL

Last edited:
From Yahoo:
>>This includes: analyzing content and information when you use our services (including emails, instant messages, posts, photos, attachments, and other communications), linking your activity on other sites and apps with information we have about you,..<<

Their house... their rules. I just wished I'd have thought of offering all that free stuff back in the day. It's like owning a gold mine or a license to print money. ;)

Yeah, I could have done that. In fact, I did. But then this entire thread may not have come to exist and a lot of good information may not have been passed around.

I also Googled for suggestions on finding a good email server. I have no interest in setting up my own, but I would not mind paying for a service with no ads and where I am not the product. And although I found a couple of good sounding packages on Google, I would prefer to have first hand, non-biased POA Pireps.

Don't worry, it's only Verizon. Shared with advertisers and the various 3 letter agencies.

End-to-end encryption. It works.

Yeah, I could have done that. In fact, I did. But then this entire thread may not have come to exist and a lot of good information may not have been passed around.

I also Googled for suggestions on finding a good email server. I have no interest in setting up my own, but I would not mind paying for a service with no ads and where I am not the product. And although I found a couple of good sounding packages on Google, I would prefer to have first hand, non-biased POA Pireps.
I've been happy with Fastmail. Not fully encrypted like ProtonMail, but relatively inexpensive and no advertising.

They’re essentially just saying their months behind in telling you they’re as bad as Zuckerberg and don’t have a life sized animatronic robot to send to Congressional hearings. LOL
zuck-data.jpg

Back