• Poll closed .

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Friends,
Last year I had cataract surgery. My vision had slowly degenerated over a couple of years and I finally decided to have the surgery. It was as close to a non-event as I thought possible. The whole procedure for each eye took just a few minutes, but the appointment was for a few hours because it was necessary to wait and wait in the appropriately named waiting room.

For the right eye, once in the prep room, they put a series of drops into my right eyes to dilate it and numb it and whatever else they needed. A "tranquilizer" pill then was given to me and after it took effect, I was rolled into a surgical room and shortly thereafter my right eye had its natural lens replaced with a plastic lens that matched my eyeglasses lens correction. Two weeks of not stooping over or lifting anything heavy and I was ready for the left eye operation.

For the left eye, I decided that my reaction to the "tranquilizer" was problematic, so I declined it. Otherwise the procedure for the left eye was exactly the same as for the right eye, except that the tranquilizer includes a drug to suppress memory as well, so I not only learned about the surgeon's recent vacation, but remembered the conversation as well.

After the 2 weeks of recovery for the second eye, my vision was wonderfully perfect for distance vision and I only needed a slight correction for reading. Wonderful. I got used to waking up in the morning and not groping for glasses before getting out of bed for the first time since third grade.

-----

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/cataract-complications.htm

Then, the first week of February this year, about a year after my surgeries, I noticed some blurring of my vision. I usually read to Hubby after lunch or before bedtime, and even with readers, reading started to be a little difficult. The next day, I noticed while driving that there was some unexpected blurring. Each day for the next week my vision -- both distance and reading -- had deteriorated noticeably from the previous day. By the end of the week, I had bought a lighted magnifying glass so that I could continue reading. And I was afraid to drive.

I went to the eye doctor and he recommended immediate follow-up surgery on my cataracts. It seems that the epithelial cells behind my artificial lens were becoming cloudy. It is a complication that occurs in 20% of cases.

But, I had planned a trip to California for the father-in-law's 90th birthday, so I put it off until after we returned. Unfortunately, I contracted a respiratory and ear infection after the trip, so we put it off again until I could sit still without coughing during the follow-up surgery.

So, 2 months and 2 weeks following the day I first noticed any blurring, I had laser surgery on both eyes. By that time, my vision had already deteriorated to the point that I could not read at all -- even with large print, readers, and the magnifying glass. I could not see the floor well enough to mop or sweep it. I could only fill a glass with water by putting a finger inside it and feel the moisture reach my finger. I was quite literally too blind to be left alone.

I was led into a room with the surgeon that had a machine to look into, much like all the other machines that I had been looking into for the examination. "Watch the four bright lights," he said. I found the lights and stared at them with my right eye.

Zap, zap, zap -- 27 times.

Then he shifted the machine to my left eye. That's when I looked at the surgeon with my right eye. I could see his face. I could see his name embroidered on his jacket. It was amazing.

Zap, zap, zap, -- I didn't count.

"OK, you're done."

I could see everything. It was wonderful. I could see the fingers on my hand. (Dirt under my nail.) I could see the floor. I could read the clock.

S M I L E.

It's magic, isn't it ?

Yes, PCO overgrowth happens sometimes. But as you found out, it's easily corrected.

Glad to hear you're doing well!

My parents have both had the surgery (no complications). I've got a mild one that doesn't (yet) require any work. Complications are always possible. My wife had a lot of complications from her LASIK (fortunately resolved) when she had it done many years ago.

I hope I never again learn of someone postponing an important medical procedure for some family get together. One needs to take care of oneself first and foremost.

I felt like I had been a few rounds in the boxing ring after an ophthalmologist used a YAG to punch some holes in my irises. After the procedure aspirin was suggested to help with the ‘discomfort’. Never ever want to do that again.

Yes, PCO overgrowth happens sometimes. But as you found out, it's easily corrected.
Hey Hank, PCO overgrowth brings up candida infection. Is that a typo or a less well known acronym? Thanks.

I just had an intraocular lens (cataract removal, artificial lens placed) two weeks ago. Main reason I had it was due to a condition called Fuchs Dystrophy, which basically is an inherited degenerative disease of the inside lining of the cornea. Causes foggy vision. Only treatment is a corneal transplant. Cataract surgery was done now rather than later to prevent damage to the transplanted cornea.

Cornea transplant involved removing the back layer of my cornea and replacing it with the inside layer from a donor. Eliminated the old method of replacing The whole cornea. Decreases healing time significantly and retains the strength of the cornea.

So basically due to the fact my right eye didn’t make it to TBO (time before obituary), I had an eyeball overhaul.

Totally painless, during and after the procedure. After a guy was basically gouging out my eyeball just two weeks ago, I’m seeing great out of that eye. Clarity is amazing after acclimating to the foggy view due to the Fuchs for so many years. I go in for an exam for a new interim lens in my glasses for that eye in 3 weeks, which will allow me to get back in the cockpit. My vision will continue to improve over the next several months, so eventually I will need a more permanent change in my glasses prescription.

One of these years the left eye will need the same attention.

Amazing stuff.

Is it better to do one eye at a time, wait for a year?

Cataract surgery or Yag treament for PCO ?

Either should be done once the disease causes visual impairment that affects whatever you need your eyes for. And there are considerable differences between individuals. Some people choose to have cataract surgery while their vision is 20/20 because they can't see the golf ball after a drive. For others, failing the drivers license renewal or bumping into people is the threshold when they seek surgery.

There is no medical reason to stagger either procedure a year apart.

Hey Hank, PCO overgrowth brings up candida infection. Is that a typo or a less well known acronym? Thanks.

PCO in this setting is 'posterior capsular opacification' also known as 'secondary cataract'. During cataract surgery, the posterior part of the natural lens (the posterior capsule) is left in place. There are good surgical reasons to do so but the only downside is that a couple of months to years after the surgery, that remaining portion of the lens can cloud up and cause new visual impairment. The treatment is an outpatient laser procedure that takes a couple of minutes of time and doesn't require sedation or anesthesia.

I hope I never again learn of someone postponing an important medical procedure for some family get together. One needs to take care of oneself first and foremost.
I have the feeling that you are criticizing me for delaying the procedure.

I was making decisions in conjunction with my doctors. They never told me that I would go from an irritating eye strain to virtual debilitation within a month. Certainly, if they had suggested I would be blind within a month, I would have thought more seriously about delaying the trip. So, if there was reason to be alarmed, it was the fault of my caregivers in not speaking more urgently about the procedure.

As an intelligent patient, I expect to receive enough information to make informed decisions on my health care. And I expect to have some input and decision-making responsibilities, too. Celebrating the 90th birthday of a family member is part of taking care of myself first, too.

In fact, I began this thread in the hope that anyone else who has cataract surgery and then notices the "secondary" cataract forming would be warned and ask about how quickly the condition is likely to progress. Or ask how important the procedure is.

Is it better to do one eye at a time, wait for a year?
It depends upon how cataracts develop in each eye. In my case, I had cataracts removed from both eyes, two weeks apart because the cataracts had developed to a pretty much parallel degree. These procedures were true surgery, with an incision made in my eye, the natural lens removed, a new man-made lens inserted, and a stitch closing the incision.

Then a year later, the "secondary" cataracts occurred simultaneously in both eyes. When I had the "secondary" cataracts removed, it was very quick and both eyes were treated with a laser with only a minute or two between the two eyes being completed. I could see my vision clearing up as the procedure progressed.

In fact, I began this thread in the hope that anyone else who has cataract surgery and then notices the "secondary" cataract forming would be warned and ask about how quickly the condition is likely to progress. Or ask how important the procedure is.

Thank you Aunt Peggy. I had cataract surgery Aug 31 with a complication that induced two retina detachments and two more surgeries, most recently Nov 2. All of a sudden today vision in that eye has become noticeably cloudy and blurry. Fortunately already have a follow-up appt with the ophthalmologist tomorrow afternoon.

I've had both eyes done, no problems,, but believe me there is no substitute for young eyes..

That happens often enough that I tell my patients about it when I fill out out pre-op clearance. Easy fix. Good for you.

Thank you Aunt Peggy. I had cataract surgery Aug 31 with a complication that induced two retina detachments and two more surgeries, most recently Nov 2. All of a sudden today vision in that eye has become noticeably cloudy and blurry. Fortunately already have a follow-up appt with the ophthalmologist tomorrow afternoon.
How are you doing now?

The same as far as the secondary cataract goes. Still recovering from the detached retina, and retina dr and I both agree on getting the retina back in good shape before going back to the cataract dr.

Thank you for asking.

Back