[NA] Goin' fer it

OkieFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew L.
I'm sure nobody gives a flip, but I'm sitting here on night shift alone in the boondocks running a gas plant, so I'm telling you anyway.

As some of you know, I'm a natural gas processing plant operator here in OK. As a non-degreed person and still fairly young, I've never really gone for any management positions. I know I can do the job, but up to this point, I've never really felt that I have paid enough dues to be considered. Never really felt that it was my time to step into management. I admit that I also fear the unknown a little bit. I've been told I'm too humble for my own good, and that I should just make a move. Tonight I submitted my resume for superintendent of a rather large gas processing facility to be built nearby. Generally speaking, people with degrees get preference for jobs like this, but it's not a requirement, and I believe as a senior level operator with 11 years directly related experience, and a pretty substantial amount of operations based knowledge, I'm hoping I have a good shot.
I know a lot of our POA patrons are very successful and may not find middle management job to be particularly exciting, but it would be a step up for this ol' Okie.

Also, they asked specifically to list a salary requirement. I hate that part!! I want a good salary, but I don't want to scare them off. By the same token, I don't want to short myself if they were expecting to pay more for the position. Frankly, I have no idea what salary range is typical for that position.

Anywho, wish me luck. Probably going to need a bunch of it.

@OkieFlyer In telecom your same dilemma came up for highly experienced field people pretty regularly.

Two things always seemed to happen when folks finally got up the courage to apply...

They either got the job, which was a lot more common than you might think...

Or they got great feedback on what the big bosses wanted to see them doing to earn the job later, AND the big bosses now looked at them in a new light... they knew the person had goals and wanted achievements and to continue moving up the food chain.

Never once saw anyone harmed by the experience of applying to move up, and all ended up eventually with higher salaries and more responsibility given and earned.

Some never got the management role but were tapped on the shoulder for official “senior” titles or “subject matter expert” titles or special projects like rolling out a new training on something new or changing or special customers assigned to them.

I had done my stint in management before I went elsewhere, and when I went back to one company, I was invited into doing a high level “Tier 4” customer service roll for the telecom manufacturer I worked for (twice). That was some of the finest folks to work with and amazing customers ever.

Demanding as heck, they were paying millions a year in support contracts, but very very smart engineers and ops people on the other end of the phone and just a great time working as a team with them and us getting enormous projects accomplished.

I’d already done my stint supporting FAA and DOE and a number of other government agencies and they were good, too... but being in what the company called “Elite Services” back then for the Commercial customers was cream of the crop. Met amazing people. Flew all over whenever they had an annual status meeting or big project kick off. Did a lot of really solid and interesting work for them all.

Ended up being the “go to” support person for AT&T. If AT&T called, it was routed to my phone first. If I wasn’t around the team was to help if they could and notify me of ANY contact with AT&T. It was just really rewarding work.

I was the backup person for Verizon if that expert went out sick or on vacation or whatever.

All started with my dumb ass saying I wanted to manage a help desk a number of years prior, getting noticed by the big bosses, working with them on special projects and getting those done, and all of them knowing who I was and that I would WORK my tail off.

Tons of fun. I DID end up managing that help desk but they had other plans for me. I just didn’t know it at the time.

Also helped to have a couple of bosses who were seriously good mentors. Find the good people and stick to them. Everybody in management NEEDS motivated people INTERESTED in the work. That’s so hard to find...

I'm sure nobody gives a flip, but I'm sitting here on night shift alone in the boondocks running a gas plant, so I'm telling you anyway.

As some of you know, I'm a natural gas processing plant operator here in OK. As a non-degreed person and still fairly young, I've never really gone for any management positions. I know I can do the job, but up to this point, I've never really felt that I have paid enough dues to be considered. Never really felt that it was my time to step into management. I admit that I also fear the unknown a little bit. I've been told I'm too humble for my own good, and that I should just make a move. Tonight I submitted my resume for superintendent of a rather large gas processing facility to be built nearby. Generally speaking, people with degrees get preference for jobs like this, but it's not a requirement, and I believe as a senior level operator with 11 years directly related experience, and a pretty substantial amount of operations based knowledge, I'm hoping I have a good shot.
I know a lot of our POA patrons are very successful and may not find middle management job to be particularly exciting, but it would be a step up for this ol' Okie.

Also, they asked specifically to list a salary requirement. I hate that part!! I want a good salary, but I don't want to scare them off. By the same token, I don't want to short myself if they were expecting to pay more for the position. Frankly, I have no idea what salary range is typical for that position.

Anywho, wish me luck. Probably going to need a bunch of it.
I'm sitting here on the night shift (this week) alone as well, running a tunnel..lol. I'm in my 18th year as a Tunnel Systems Controller (electrical 13KV, ventilation, lighting. etc). Now Senior TSC, I'll have 32 years in the agency next month. Over the course of that time, I've turned down several management positions and even trained other electricians who have moved on to supervisory positions. Some even became my bosses. Personally, I'm glad I stayed on this side of the fence in this agency because I've seen too much BS on the other side! The personalities and crap that I would have had to deal with over the years, would have probably resulted in me getting fired a long time ago. Although I could have earned a higher salary as a supervisor, I'm much happier working here in the Control Room in my current position. IBEW Local 3, good benefits and a decent pension in a couple of years at 55, so I have no regrets. I could retire now, but my contract states 30 years and age 55 for full benefits.

My wife, on the other hand, went into management several years ago and it worked out well for her.
So, I guess it all boils down to what's best for each individual. If it's something you feel is right for you, then by all means GO FOR IT! Sounds like your 11 years of experience places you in a very good position to get it. Good luck.

Last edited:
Take some chocolate ice cream with you to the interview, Andrew. You'll be a shoe-in!

:cool:

@OkieFlyer In telecom your same dilemma came up for highly experienced field people pretty regularly.

Two things always seemed to happen when folks finally got up the courage to apply...

They either got the job, which was a lot more common than you might think...

Or they got great feedback on what the big bosses wanted to see them doing to earn the job later, AND the big bosses now looked at them in a new light... they knew the person had goals and wanted achievements and to continue moving up the food chain.

Never once saw anyone harmed by the experience of applying to move up, and all ended up eventually with higher salaries and more responsibility given and earned.

Some never got the management role but were tapped on the shoulder for official “senior” titles or “subject matter expert” titles or special projects like rolling out a new training on something new or changing or special customers assigned to them.

I had done my stint in management before I went elsewhere, and when I went back to one company, I was invited into doing a high level “Tier 4” customer service roll for the telecom manufacturer I worked for (twice). That was some of the finest folks to work with and amazing customers ever.

Demanding as heck, they were paying millions a year in support contracts, but very very smart engineers and ops people on the other end of the phone and just a great time working as a team with them and us getting enormous projects accomplished.

I’d already done my stint supporting FAA and DOE and a number of other government agencies and they were good, too... but being in what the company called “Elite Services” back then for the Commercial customers was cream of the crop. Met amazing people. Flew all over whenever they had an annual status meeting or big project kick off. Did a lot of really solid and interesting work for them all.

Ended up being the “go to” support person for AT&T. If AT&T called, it was routed to my phone first. If I wasn’t around the team was to help if they could and notify me of ANY contact with AT&T. It was just really rewarding work.

I was the backup person for Verizon if that expert went out sick or on vacation or whatever.

All started with my dumb ass saying I wanted to manage a help desk a number of years prior, getting noticed by the big bosses, working with them on special projects and getting those done, and all of them knowing who I was and that I would WORK my tail off.

Tons of fun. I DID end up managing that help desk but they had other plans for me. I just didn’t know it at the time.

Also helped to have a couple of bosses who were seriously good mentors. Find the good people and stick to them. Everybody in management NEEDS motivated people INTERESTED in the work. That’s so hard to find...

Thanks, Nate. The reason I took the job I have is because I believed this company had opportunities to eventually move up. I'm not entitled to a move up the ladder by any means, but there was room for a good hand to grow. It's a really good job, and I'm fortunate to have it. However, after I had been here a while, I came to the realization that the next rung on the ladder actually makes less money that I do. Now, technically, our "base" pay is less than that of the supervisor, but as shift operators, we have built in overtime that isn't figured in that base pay. Additionally, we pretty much all end up with a fair amount of overtime on top of that due to covering vacations and special projects and whatnot. Long story short, I probably made a good 10K more than my own boss. Although I'd like to stay here and try to elevate myself, I'm not willing to take a pay cut for a better title. The management job I applied for is with another company, so I'll have to jump ship if I get it. I don't want to, but I'll go if I get the job. The really unfortunate part is that my current company, which I was excited to join 4 years ago, has been taking backward steps over the last couple years. They are really focused on stability in an otherwise fairly unstable business and have become very conservative, for lack of a better term, when it comes to wages . Additionally, to help achieve that stability, they've become very lean. Lean is great for investors, but if you lean up the manpower and leave wages the same, you're going to lose people. If your best employees jump ship for more money, you end up with a bunch of inexperienced hands, lower run times, and ultimately less money in investors pockets. Nobody wants to do more for less, especially those who have paid their dues and since were back in a bit of a boom cycle, you can go down the street and get $5-$10 buck an hour more for the same work. I have been hoping this young company would get over it's growing pains, but they're about to start losing their best guys, one after another.

I'm sitting here on the night shift (this week) alone as well, running a tunnel..lol. I'm in my 18th year as a Tunnel Systems Controller (electrical 13KV, ventilation, lighting. etc). Now Senior TSC, I'll have 32 years in the agency next month. Over the course of that time, I've turned down several management positions and even trained other electricians who have moved on to supervisory positions. Some even became my bosses. Personally, I'm glad I stayed on this side of the fence in this agency because I've seen too much BS on the other side! The personalities and crap that I would have had to deal with over the years, would have probably resulted in me getting fired a long time ago. Although I could have earned a higher salary as a supervisor, I'm much happier working here in the Control Room in my current position. IBEW Local 3, good benefits and a decent pension in a couple of years at 55, so I have no regrets. I could retire now, but my contract states 30 years and age 55 for full benefits.

My wife, on the other hand, went into management several years ago and it worked out well for her.
So, I guess it all boils down to what's best for each individual. If it's something you feel is right for you, then by all means GO FOR IT! Sounds like your 11 years of experience places you in a very good position to get it. Good luck.

I totally understand that. I've always place a high value on being happy with what I'm doing. My family is the most important thing to me, and the one thing that I've feared most about management is that the stress of the job may affect me negatively as a husband and as a father. I will never be what we call a "company man" that puts the job above his family and his own happiness. There's no point in being miserable. That said, as I sit back and think about my past supervisors in this business, it seems like I'm just as busy, and no more or less stressed than they have been. So why not take a crack at it? At least I would get out of night shifts, which I happen to hate with a passion, lol. Here's the upside as I see it, as a supervisor, I'd have the opportunity to be the kind of leader I've always wanted for myself, enable the people under me to enjoy a positive working environment, and hopefully enjoy the job and the colleagues I place in there presence, and hopefully help them grow into "in demand" kind of folks if they want. Heck, almost sounds noble, haha.

Congrats, but too long to read.

Thanks, Nate. The reason I took the job I have is because I believed this company had opportunities to eventually move up. I'm not entitled to a move up the ladder by any means, but there was room for a good hand to grow. It's a really good job, and I'm fortunate to have it. However, after I had been here a while, I came to the realization that the next rung on the ladder actually makes less money that I do. Now, technically, our "base" pay is less than that of the supervisor, but as shift operators, we have built in overtime that isn't figured in that base pay. Additionally, we pretty much all end up with a fair amount of overtime on top of that due to covering vacations and special projects and whatnot. Long story short, I probably made a good 10K more than my own boss. Although I'd like to stay here and try to elevate myself, I'm not willing to take a pay cut for a better title. The management job I applied for is with another company, so I'll have to jump ship if I get it. I don't want to, but I'll go if I get the job. The really unfortunate part is that my current company, which I was excited to join 4 years ago, has been taking backward steps over the last couple years. They are really focused on stability in an otherwise fairly unstable business and have become very conservative, for lack of a better term, when it comes to wages . Additionally, to help achieve that stability, they've become very lean. Lean is great for investors, but if you lean up the manpower and leave wages the same, you're going to lose people. If your best employees jump ship for more money, you end up with a bunch of inexperienced hands, lower run times, and ultimately less money in investors pockets. Nobody wants to do more for less, especially those who have paid their dues and since were back in a bit of a boom cycle, you can go down the street and get $5-$10 buck an hour more for the same work. I have been hoping this young company would get over it's growing pains, but they're about to start losing their best guys, one after another.

I totally understand that. I've always place a high value on being happy with what I'm doing. My family is the most important thing to me, and the one thing that I've feared most about management is that the stress of the job may affect me negatively as a husband and as a father. I will never be what we call a "company man" that puts the job above his family and his own happiness. There's no point in being miserable. That said, as I sit back and think about my past supervisors in this business, it seems like I'm just as busy, and no more or less stressed than they have been. So why not take a crack at it? At least I would get out of night shifts, which I happen to hate with a passion, lol. Here's the upside as I see it, as a supervisor, I'd have the opportunity to be the kind of leader I've always wanted for myself, enable the people under me to enjoy a positive working environment, and hopefully enjoy the job and the colleagues I place in there presence, and hopefully help them grow into "in demand" kind of folks if they want. Heck, almost sounds noble, haha.
Oh, I thought you were talking about moving up in the same company, but I understand where you're coming from. I know how you feel about night shift, but trust me, it's a whole lot better than working around the clock!!! Some weeks are seven days in a row and at least two weekends per month. I could get steady days with weekends off if I went back to the shop, but after several years in the field as an electrician at the airports and tunnels, I decided to come in out of the nasty weather and stop getting my hands dirty:D.

Although I'm in a major government agency and stability isn't an issue, there are a few things I've been unhappy with also, but I have too much time in to bail now, lol.
Speaking of "leaving wages the same",.... we have been in a contract dispute for around 13 years now!:eek:
However, with a new Executive Director and a new governor of NJ (we fall under both NY & NJ governors), looks like things may get sorted out finally (based on recent board meetings).
I forgot to mention that I actually do supervise on a limited bases. We supervise the duty-electricians who are basically our maintenance/repairmen who also work 24/7. That's what I did before getting promoted to this position. We make slightly more than them but they get more overtime. Out 200+ electricians, there are only 12 Controller positions. So we only get overtime to cover vacancies or when training a new guy.

One word of advice. When you do become a supervisor........DON'T FORGET WHERE YOU CAME FROM! I've seen it happen to several guys I've worked with over the years:rolleyes:.

Whenever I had an opening on my team, I typically had 200 - 300 applications from internal employees. Many times these decisions were all but made before the job was even posted. The best advice I can give you is you should be positioning yourself for the job you want before the opening exists. Decide the position you want and begin marketing yourself to the decision makers. Find out what qualifications they want and make sure any gaps are filled ahead of time. Position yourself to be at the top of the decision makers mind before the opportunity is available. Ideally, you want to have a decision maker mentor you for advancement and follow whatever advice they provide. Good luck.

Last edited:
Good luck, homes. I don’t want to say the “only” way, but the only way to get a significant bump in salary is to take your skills to another company.

Yeah we hear you're pretty good at producing "natural gas"! :yesnod: :rofl:

But seriously Okie...

Good luck. You're doing the right thing, taking care of your family's interests, and yourself. Hoping you get the position!

Last edited:
First, applying for another job cost nothing more than the paper and ink employed, which seems like a pretty good deal. The only worry I would have is blowback from my own supervisors, but the OP seems like he has very well grounded grievances that cannot be addressed internally. The only real job security I've ever heard of is being able to get another.

Go for it and good luck! Never lose that confidence, sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't but never give up and don't be afraid to move on (have a new job before you leave the old one) if things aren't turning out the way you want. I really like the messages in this song, never knew this guy was so smart.

With a little discreet inquiring, you may be able to learn what others in the position started at and what they currently make. Never an easy thing though.

Good luck.

First, applying for another job cost nothing more than the paper and ink employed, which seems like a pretty good deal. The only worry I would have is blowback from my own supervisors, but the OP seems like he has very well grounded grievances that cannot be addressed internally. The only real job security I've ever heard of is being able to get another.

Indeed. In this case, I should be able to go through the process without tipping off my bosses. My resume speaks for itself, and I don't believe they'll feel the need to contact my supervisors to make their decision if I get an interview. I'm not the type to try to stick it to anyone, but there may even be a chance for a counter offer if my company wanted to keep me around. Normally, I wouldn't say that is the case, but we've had some good guys fly the coop already, and they're starting to get a little light on top tier guys. We'll will see, and I don't want to get ahead of myself. Again, the company I work for now, and the guys I work with are good, and I'm not itching to jump ship, but they are starting to get left behind on wages in our area. Opportunity knocks.

Thank you guys for the replies. I must apologize for talking about this rubbish on an aviation forum, but as I said, when I'm sitting there in the control room alone on night shift, I guess I just feel the need to say something to somebody about something sometimes. It gets a little ronery out there.

Good luck, Andrew. If you feel like it's time for a jump, then it likely is. And, like you said, might get a counter from your current employer.

When I turned in my 2 weeks at my last employer my mind was made up to go already (some of the move was based on location), but I think they would've given me a counter if I'd been open to it.

Good luck Drew. I've spent a good part of my life alone on a mid shift in quite a few ATC facilities all over the world. Maybe if you took a supervisory position you'd have more people to talk to.

Good luck, Okie!

Nothing wrong with testing the waters every once in a while. As you mentioned, when opportunity knocks, you'd better answer. Being a manager can obviously entail all sorts of different things. Generally speaking, you will have direct reports underneath you, but that doesn't necessarily mean you would have vastly different daily responsibilities from those you manage.

Side note: I certainly wouldn't say it's your case, but sometimes the best performers (be they in sales, engineering, or shop floor) don't make particularly great managers. The "corporate ladder" generally seems to reward those who perform well at a given set of tasks with being put in a position where their new job is to manage people who perform those tasks. Managing people isn't normally taught very well, so just be aware that it's not a natural skill-set for many people. You may have to work at it.

Lastly, you might be able to contact a few OK employment agencies to see if you can get a feel for what the typical salary range might be. If nothing else, just put what you would be expected to be compensated for assuming the responsibilities and schedule of the position. As long as you don't go crazy and ask for the moon, you shouldn't offend them. Also, don't take their first salary offer unless it's well above your asking price.

Where to start?

A. Don’t get too hung up on the pay question. Glassdoor, BLS, and industry/trade associations can give you a ballpark figure. The question is to weed out people who are way off base. Also, salary/pay is only a portion of the total compensation package. I’m not in the top % of my industry for base pay, but after bonuses and 401K matches, I’m pretty near the top for my level.

B. Management. Not knowing your industry, there’s generally a few types of ‘managers’; those who primarily lead people, those who are primarily responsible for business results, and those whose role is a hybrid of both. The largest mindset change is realizing you are now responsible for the results of a team that is somehow responsible for contributing to improved business results. Generally, increased productivity/efficiency, or reduced waste.

C. Goals. What’s the underlying desire to move into management? The “I think I can do it” has to be translated into real words that mean something to you that you can use to help tell the story of why and how you’re qualified for the position.

D. Education. To a certain extent, experience can be used in lieu of a degree. At some companies (mine included), a non-degreed manager is at a dead end for upward mobility, as the next level up requires a degree, with a relevant graduate degree preferred. That non-degreed manager can move laterally into a individual contributor roles with similar pay bands, but the lack of a degree does eventually cap earning potential.

E. Expectations. Does the role you’re applying for have a training pipeline built into it, or are you expected to learn as you go? Do you, today, know what contributes to increased productivity, what is reported, and how that information can be used to inform decisions on which levers to pull to achieve the desired results? If not, how can you use your current role to learn those things.

Some of us out here do give a flip. Maybe because we've been there, done that?

As an operator, you should have plenty of time to pick up a book, or graze the internet during your shift. Myself, I earned my degree by attending night school, while working the graveyard shift just like you're doing.

Before you go down the path you say you're contemplating, I'd suggest you explore some Edwards Deming.
Then ask yourself..... Why would a sane, intelligent person ever willingly choose to become another one of those indoctrinated corporate minions who are expected to be satisfied with minimal reward for maximum effort. Annual peer reviews are for chumps. There are much better and more rewarding career paths.

Tonight I submitted my resume for superintendent of a rather large gas processing facility to be built nearby.
Find out everything you can about the company. Who's the owner, who's the top management, how big of a facility are they building, etc. Know your numbers. Can you get in on the building process? What better way to know a plant inside and out than if you were there throughout the entire build process. You may even have some ideas on how to improve their processes before they make a mistake that could cost them dearly in the end. Solid experience (especially in your case) will trump a formal education every time. Show'em what you know dude and good luck to ya... :cheerswine:

Wow, good feedback. Many thanks.

Of course I have no experience "officially" managing a team, I think the managing of people will be the "natural" part for me. At the risk of sounding like an arrogant punk, the fact is, I have always ended up being a leader in whatever I do. I don't force it, it just happens. I guess it's just evident to my peers that I care about doing my job well, with integrity and honesty, and that I genuinely care for them as well. I think the hard part for me will be the administrative stuff such as budgeting, etc. From what I've seen, that's the stuff that doesn't usually get taught until your in the hot seat, which seems nuts. In my 11 years in the biz, I have yet to see any real training for the step up to manager. It's usually just trial by fire from what I've seen. I've been told multiple times by my own supervisors that I'm who they will be looking at to step up when the time comes. I'm flattered by their confidence in me, but as I said earlier, I don't know that I want to move up at this company given what they pay for the job. I know I'd do a good job for them, but the reality is, the money does matter to a fairly large extent.

Find out everything you can about the company. Who's the owner, who's the top management, how big of a facility are they building, etc. Know your numbers. Can you get in on the building process? What better way to know a plant inside and out than if you were there throughout the entire build process. You may even have some ideas on how to improve their processes before they make a mistake that could cost them dearly in the end. Solid experience (especially in your case) will trump a formal education every time. Show'em what you know dude and good luck to ya... :cheerswine:

Yes indeed. In this case, I'd be involved in the building process. At this point, they've just started the dirt work for the first cryo train of 200 mmscfd. The goal is to build 3 such trains over the next 2-3 years for a total of 600 mmscfd, making it tied for the largest gas processing facility in the state. I think where I become quite valuable is that I have been involved in the commissioning and start-up of 3 new plants and multiple plant additions in my time. The two most recent plant start-ups were very similar to the ones being built. While I've never been in a top position on a project like that, I've got more direct experience with it than many.

Wow, good feedback. Many thanks.

Of course I have no experience "officially" managing a team, I think the managing of people will be the "natural" part for me.
Which is why I think you would do well. I'm just the opposite. I work better alone as an operator. I'm professional, safe and very thorough at what I do. However, I have very little patience with people and the various attitudes, complaints and BS that I've seen from so many folks. I'd never make a good manager and I realized that years ago, which is why I declined numerous opportunities. You have to know yourself and be honest about what you're good at and what you're not so good at.

I must apologize for talking about this rubbish on an aviation forum, but as I said, when I'm sitting there in the control room alone on night shift, I guess I just feel the need to say something to somebody about something sometimes. It gets a little ronery out there.
Unfortunately, it's hard to get too lonely up here in our control room. We have to interact with "operations", police, maintenance and contractors all throughout our shift, via the desk phone as well as the desk two-way radio. Never a dull moment up here. They also provide us with a Direct TV subscription and internet to help passed the time. I get a lot of reading and study time in between various task. And since we can't leave this room until our relief gets in, we have a full kitchen and bathroom up here.

Last edited:
. . . I think where I become quite valuable is that I have been involved in the commissioning and start-up of 3 new plants and multiple plant additions in my time. The two most recent plant start-ups were very similar to the ones being built. While I've never been in a top position on a project like that, I've got more direct experience with it than many.

Hopefully, you included that tidbit of info in your cover letter for the job application. I'd definitely emphasize that point if you get called for an interview.

As far as the budgeting/forecasting, it's not usually as difficult as most make it out to be. I would assume you'd have access to historical trends of the expenses for whatever department you'd be in charge of. Those expenses generally correlate to the volume of production and seasonal adjustments/changeover. I'm sure you'd be fine once you sat down and played with it.

Hopefully, you included that tidbit of info in your cover letter for the job application. I'd definitely emphasize that point if you get called for an interview.

As far as the budgeting/forecasting, it's not usually as difficult as most make it out to be. I would assume you'd have access to historical trends of the expenses for whatever department you'd be in charge of. Those expenses generally correlate to the volume of production and seasonal adjustments/changeover. I'm sure you'd be fine once you sat down and played with it.

I definitely included that tidbit in the resume. I think that's a pretty big selling point in this particular case.

You're probably right about the budgeting. I guess if I look at my current and past supervisors, none of them were exactly wiz kids. I never was strong in the maths, but I'm a pretty salty adder and subtractor ;)

Back