RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Another incident involving Southwest..

A woman was "partially sucked out" an airplane window after an engine exploded in midair Tuesday, leading desperate passengers aboard the Southwest Airlines flight to try pulling her to safety amid a chaotic scene with "blood everywhere," frightened witnesses said.”

Seems like this wasn’t their first rodeo with an engine explosion like this.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/1...ssenger-reportedly-hit-with-shrapnel.amp.html

Ok, now that I can see....getting a little freaked out about plugging the window with my butt.

Jezus looks like the whole fan is missing. The slats are damaged about mid-wing, wonder what the side of the fuselage looks like.

and that folks is why you wear a seat belt, snugly, not just 'on' even if its not bumpy. Hope she recovers.

My office chair just leaned back.

I am now on my personal facebook page recording my last moments......

Better call 60 Minutes. There’s a trend.

They probably should have been on course 370 rather than 380. You know how this happens going straight north, magnetic field and all :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Yeah, that looks pretty bad. The fan blades ARE still there - Google images has some other angles. I think the picture is the same event. Almost the same thing happened two years ago, August 2016.

Did the pilot declare? Maybe he didn't want to alarm the passengers.

Southwest+PHL+Engine+Damaged+Emergency+Landing.jpg

Technically she was pushed

My guess is that more fan blades fell out than the engine was designed for.

Engines are designed for a fan blade out up to a certain number of blades... I forget the exact number, but I want to say it's 2.5. It's possible that something more significant happened than that number of blades. That shell around the fan is designed to absorb that impact.

Losing a fan blade is... not good.

bflyn says the fan blades are still there. May be but, all I see looks like compressor blades. Maybe I am mis understanding what I am seeing. Looks like the whole fan is missing? Like Ted explained the shroud will or is suppose to contain a certain amount but, the whole fan, not so much. Anybody else see if that is compressor blades rather than fan blades?

Looked closer, may be the fan blades, can't tell for sure. Must be somebody that is familiar with these fan jet engines and can identify.

bflyn says the fan blades are still there. May be but, all I see looks like compressor blades. Maybe I am mis understanding what I am seeing. Looks like the whole fan is missing? Like Ted explained the shroud will or is suppose to contain a certain amount but, the whole fan, not so much. Anybody else see if that is compressor blades rather than fan blades?

Looked closer, may be the fan blades, can't tell for sure. Must be somebody that is familiar with these fan jet engines and can identify.
Looks like the fan blades to me. If I’m seeing correctly, the elliptical spinner is visible, so those wouldn’t be compressor blades.

Looks like the fan blades to me. If I’m seeing correctly, the elliptical spinner is visible, so those wouldn’t be compressor blades.

Ronnie, Ryan is correct. Those are fan blades, and you can see where the spinner used to be attached to the engine. The compressor blades are a lot smaller. That engine also has a booster (essentially a low pressure compressor driven by the fan shaft) which is still much smaller than the fan. None of the compressor section takes up that full diameter.

However, you can't see the full 360 degrees of that fan, and my guess is if you saw it head on you would see several blades missing.

I concur. I am on a very small screen device. Once I got up and went to the computer is was easier to see. Either way a mess.

It's the geese, I tell ya what....

They haven't forgotten that incident on the Hudson....

NTSB just stated that 1 person died on the flight :(

Awh! That makes the first fatality for SWA since their inception that I’m aware of.
If you don’t count the little kid they killed on the ground at MDW...

It’s fair to say it’s their first passenger fatality, but not their first fatality

The pax need to work on properly donning the masks.
Doesn't really matter in a loss of cabin pressure at high altitude, they aren't pressure masks, just a breeze flowing across your face. Once lower, yeah they might help some...

Just read the person who died was because of a heart attack. However early in the information game here.

Hi-bypass turbofan

300px-Turbofan_operation.svg.png

An uncontained engine failure,sounds like a good word for an explosion. Sorry for the loss of a passenger,listening to the tape,was handled very professionally.

As I said in post 23 after getting on a device with a bigger screen I could see it better.

Back