Clear Prop! - Anyone ever have a response?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
So the majority of us pilots have been trained to shout ‘clear prop’ prior to starting our engine(s) to make sure the area around the airplane and propeller is clear.

Has anyone ever had a response or reaction after shouting that cautioned them not to start the engine?

Have you ever said “whew! I’m glad I didn’t just crank the engine and actually took the time to shout clear.”

Sometimes I feel like it’s just SOP and we do it out of habit. Yay or nay?

Last edited:
I wish the nosewheel chock would yell so I could get out and pull it without having to shut down and then pull it.

I have had people on the ramp acknowledging the call. No real danger involved but it alerted them to what is about to happen near them.

Cheers

So the majority of us pilots have been trained to shout ‘clear prop’ prior to starting our engine(s) to make sure the area around the airplane and propeller is clear.

Has anyone ever had a response or reaction after shouting that cautioned them not to start the engine?

Have you ever said “whew! I’m glad I didn’t just crank the engine and actually took the time to shout clear.”

Sometimes I feel like the practice is just SOP and we do it out of habit. Yay or nay?
I have seen a response at a fly-in. Someone yelled 'clear prop' and someone else ran toward them yelling and waving their arms to stop. There was a kid that was fairly close, probably safe, but it didn't hurt to take precautions

I've heard people yelling out 'clear prop' with their headsets on and windows closed, and I've seen people yell 'clear prop' and immediately start the engine. If you're not listening for a response, no need to yell it out.

When I'm marshalling someone who does the "Clear Prop," I'll check to make sure that the area is clear and give either the twirling hand "start engine" or the crossed hands STOP.
I've not had anything "catastrophic" I stopped, but there have been times when it was a good idea to delay cranking for a minute.

I wish the nosewheel chock would yell so I could get out and pull it without having to shut down and then pull it.
Ah, I’ve done that before!

I have had people on the ramp acknowledging the call. No real danger involved but it alerted them to what is about to happen near them.
Likewise.

Have you ever said “whew! I’m glad I did
Nope

The Plus One ramp at SEE and MYF get busy though so it's a good CYA for me to always yell it, sometimes I'll see someone peek over or acknowledge it.. never had a close call though. I still shout it even if I'm the only one on the ramp at some sleepier uncontrolled field, I feel like it's just good habit

To echo @X3 Skier I do wish that tie downs, chocks, etc., would shout back "no wait!"

Absolutely! I always make eye contact if a person is nearby before I call out. Also, I wait several seconds after calling out before pushing the button. Too many say 'clear prop' and don't give anyone a chance to get clear. When I start my plane where people are about, I usually have an audience.

I've heard people yelling out 'clear prop' with their headsets on and windows closed, and I've seen people yell 'clear prop' and immediately start the engine. If you're not listening for a response, no need to yell it out.
Yup, I’ve seen the same stuff numerous times and I just don’t understand their rationale. If you’re going to do it, than a few seconds should be allowed for any possible reaction time, otherwise there’s no sense to make the call.

I’ll shout ‘clear’ 99% of the time, except for the few times that it’s after 10pm and I know there’s no one else around at the airport. Then I just don’t feel like it’s necessary, especially if I just finished a pre-flight and jump in and go.

I was on a ladder washing a G-IV windshield on a busy/loud ramp one day. I had my headset on because the G-IV's APU was screaming and heard a distinct click-click-click like a turbine starting up. I turned around and saw a Kodiak firing up with cones around the aircraft including in front of the prop. I ran across the ramp and got the cone pulled before he decided to move forward.

When I start my plane where people are about, I usually have an audience.
Well, when you plane looks like this...
29952820255_2021d6bd93_b.jpg

Had a ramper signal the cut-off sign, then point to my nose wheel. Chock was still there. That’s about it.

Stopped a number of airliners from starting back when I was a ramper so they wouldn’t blow things over by either being the guy on the headset watching the wing walkers signal or relaying through the headset guy.

Scariest was the FO who asked to start the engine directly ahead of the catering truck that was still up against the airplane but had closed the aircraft door. Nope nope nope! Staaaaaahp!

I never shout ‘clear prop’ prior to starting my engine. I'd feel like an idiot.

No harm in yelling. I’ll sometimes skip it if it is obvious that I’m the only one around.

Never any issues with a prop but I’ve held a start in a helicopter. Med crew member was walking around the tail when I yelled “clear!” Other crew member yelled for me to hold. No problems but that’s the whole point of clearing prior to start. Of course, even if I started, they wouldn’t have been injured anyway.

If you know the marshaller you can always use the modified engine start signal utilizing the longer and most visible finger. :)

Same goes for arriving. The multiple ground power connector signal done rapidly is always a hit. :)

I watched a pilot park a C-207 close to the maintenance hanger. The pilot was putting the chocks on the nose gear (single engine) when the mechanic jumped in the plane, yelled "Clear" and hit the starter at the same time.

I let the pilot wear out the mechanic for a few seconds before I pulled him off......

I watched a pilot park a C-207 close to the maintenance hanger. The pilot was putting the chocks on the nose gear (single engine) when the mechanic jumped in the plane, yelled "Clear" and hit the starter at the same time.

I let the pilot wear out the mechanic for a few seconds before I pulled him off......
Yikes! How close was he to getting karate chopped by the prop?

Yes, many times I've said hold on or words to that effect. mostly on maintenance checks, when some body forgot some thing Like a tow bar, cowl, etc.

I always say "Clear" or "clear prop". I'm at fairly congested ramps in California where I fly. Really surprising how many people are walking along talking and not paying attention, especially in congested ramp areas. The beacon does not stick out of the crowd enough. Older Cessna's like my 1972 model have the strobe on the avionics bus, and not the master. My beacon comes on with the radios after engine start.

I responded once for the jump pilot. The local airfield dog followed someone out to the plane and was under it trying to find a way in ...

Yikes! How close was he to getting karate chopped by the prop?

Close. VERY close. I was inside the Chieftain cleaning the windows and was almost even with the prop. I thought it had brushed against him.

I did show the pilot how to place the chocks in place from behind the prop instead of from in front of it. And the director of maintenance started requiring the mechanics to walk around the plane before starting, something I do anyway.

Close. VERY close. I was inside the Chieftain cleaning the windows and was almost even with the prop. I thought it had brushed against him.

I did show the pilot how to place the chocks in place from behind the prop instead of from in front of it. And the director of maintenance started requiring the mechanics to walk around the plane before starting, something I do anyway.
Wow! If that would have been me, that mechanic would have received some free education along with several choice words.

Glad the fella was okay! :eek:

I was taught early on to yell 'clear' *then* visually inspect both sides of the airplane. A proper visual inspection takes 2-4 seconds, so doing things in the right order builds in enough time for someone on the ground to respond.

I've always seen the 'Clear Prop' as the aviation equivalent of a golfer shouting 'Fore!' when they hit their ball toward a group of people.

It isn't something that typically elicits a response. It is more of a courtesy notification. You (the pilot) still have to visually clear the area.

Of course we all know that yelling 'clear' or 'clear prop' only works with people who know airplanes. I was at a fly-in a couple of years ago where the public is invited out. There were four of us who flew in together and we were all getting ready to leave. I told the lineman we were heading out, then we pulled the planes out of our parking spots and lined them up. I was the first plane and when I yelled 'clear' and fired up, I noticed a blur moving from the right side of my plane going across in front of my prop. When he came out on the other side, I realized it was about a 5 year old kid and he was headed straight toward a Chipmunk taxiing in. There was a guy on the taxiway directing traffic with big orange batons and he literally swung and knocked the kid down, saving his life. I had no chance to shut down. If the kid had been closer, I would have killed him. It wouldn't have been my fault, but it would have killed me. I told the organizers of the fly-in that I won't come back. They've promised they've pulled the public back, but I haven't felt like going back to see.

I've always seen the 'Clear Prop' as the aviation equivalent of a golfer shouting 'Fore!' when they hit their ball toward a group of people.

It isn't something that typically elicits a response. It is more of a courtesy notification. You (the pilot) still have to visually clear the area.

Any time I hear FORE I instinctively cover up the jewels. Also, someone in my 4-some got hit in the nose with an errant tee shot, it messed him up pretty good. Square in the nose, think he had to get surgery.

It is SOP and should be a habit. Nah, shouldn’t be a habit. It’s on the checklist. Doing those should be the habit. Anyway, yes, I have gotten responses. From passengers asking “ what does that mean.”

In my world I almost always hear the response 'clear' if there are people around. In fact I will not push the starter button unless I get a clear visual and/or audio response. It is a safety thing. Of course I have no forward visibility in my plane and that 101" Hamilton Standard is a far reaching and sharp sword.

Of course we all know that yelling 'clear' or 'clear prop' only works with people who know airplanes. I was at a fly-in a couple of years ago where the public is invited out. There were four of us who flew in together and we were all getting ready to leave. I told the lineman we were heading out, then we pulled the planes out of our parking spots and lined them up. I was the first plane and when I yelled 'clear' and fired up, I noticed a blur moving from the right side of my plane going across in front of my prop. When he came out on the other side, I realized it was about a 5 year old kid and he was headed straight toward a Chipmunk taxiing in. There was a guy on the taxiway directing traffic with big orange batons and he literally swung and knocked the kid down, saving his life. I had no chance to shut down. If the kid had been closer, I would have killed him. It wouldn't have been my fault, but it would have killed me. I told the organizers of the fly-in that I won't come back. They've promised they've pulled the public back, but I haven't felt like going back to see.

Well said

Typically yell "clear" but often don't at my sleepy home drone when I'm the only one around and just pulled the plane from the hangar.

FORE while playing golf has always seemed so stupid. You take people in the line of fire that have a decent shot at looking the other way and cause them to instinctively look up and towards where the ball is coming from... with zero chance in hell of seeing it prior to impact. I get the courtesy aspect but in all honesty it doesn't help.

Back