Daily Pic

Very cool, Zeldman. That brings back some great memories from the Alcan Highway. I did a winter rally in 1996 where our team drove from Seattle > Quesnel > Fort St. John > Fort Nelson > Whitehorse > Dawson > Fairbanks > Deadhorse > Anchorage. 4400 miles over 9 days in early March...Woohoo! Best part was a time trial at Whitehorse on the frozen Yukon.

That was the first time I had been on the Alcan Highway. It was a lot rougher than some of the secondary roads I have been on in Canada. Nice drive though. I really enjoy traveling and visiting in BC and Yukon. This was also the first trip from Alaska with my wife.

f3c6a3ac3b4139acff89410600884370.jpg

This morning's flight took me over Modjeska Canyon...which is just north of Irvine, over the foothill. Pretty cool little artist's community, where my golf buddy lives. Still a bit of green on the terrain here.

Hot today...supposed to get up to 90 degrees at my home drome in Upland. I beat the heat by taking off at 7:15.

Edit: Oops. after checking on Google maps, this looks like Williams Canyon. Modjeska is one to the south. But messing up is a great excuse to go on another photo recon flight!

IMG_2794.jpg

Last edited:
I believe so. We have either flown or taken the motorcycle. The only way to bet the crowd. :) Flying it is about an hour away so we flew in the day of the race. When leaving we had to battle all the drivers private jets. They were at the end of runway waiting for IFR clearance. Denny Hamlin's Jet was the first in line. The temp tower asked if I could asked if i could take off from mid runway. I said no problem, so I guess you could say I got the lead coming out of the turn. :)

Ha Ha It can be a mess getting out of there for sure, the special NOTAM for race weekend is about 10 pages long. I will tell you, when they say "No airborne IFR pickups with 100 nm", they mean it. So if you plan to take off VFR to beat the traffic, you better hope you don't need a clearance!

Ha Ha It can be a mess getting out of there for sure, the special NOTAM for race weekend is about 10 pages long. I will tell you, when they say "No airborne IFR pickups with 100 nm", they mean it. So if you plan to take off VFR to beat the traffic, you better hope you don't need a clearance!

Flew some for Bill Elliot. After a race, it was another race to get out first. Earnhardt Sr had a chopper, which took him from the track to his jet and he usually was first getting out. :D

Ever see the results of two race teams showing up at the rental car counter at the same time..??? :rofl:

I know a pilot who was in the back seat of one with Dale Sr at the wheel. Said scared the shet outa him. :rofl:

I know a pilot who was in the back seat of one with Dale Sr at the wheel. Said scared the shet outa him. :rofl:

I haven't been in a race car in 20 years. I have a couple friends that still won't ride with me in a car, much less a plane....:lol::lol:

Then um....who are the two people in lawn chairs on the other side camped out under the wing?

Ha! I'm glad you mentioned that, there were two people there and I asked them did they own they plane? They said no, they were stowaways from Brazil and they didn't speak too much English.

Bucking headwinds? Yeah... if they can find the secret to having tailwinds all the time, I'd be quite happy for them! LOL...

I was referring to at least 3 violations.... u didn’t follow the magenta line, u were not on flight following and u didn’t use AOA (guess). For the sake of Zeus please tell us were on a flight plan

IMG_3602.JPG

General Aviation News Publisher Ben Sclair captured this photo of the Belite Chipper going through its paces at Paradise City at SUN ‘n FUN. Paradise City, which boasts a grass airstrip on Lakeland-Linder Regional Airport, is where light-sport aircraft, ultralights and more fly until sundown during the fly-in.

Fun times at Santa Maria the last couple of days. I flew up with my friend Keith, whose RV-7 was being painted at Art Craft on the field there. We spent a very enjoyable day and a half reassembling the plane. Wanted to fly back to Cable as a flight of two, but the paint shop needed to do some touch up, so Keith stayed another day. The flight out was amazing....8500' vfr over the top of a broken layer; clear near Santa Barbara so we ducked down to 4000' or so and dodged some light showers near Santa Ynez on the way to the airport.

IMG_4884.jpeg IMG_2816.jpg IMG_2824.jpg

Back